1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Chuck Hayes close to signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Chuck Hayes the Aldridge stppper.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

6 years is a long time in the NBA. I sure hope he has something left in the tank if we are going to sign him.

3. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Chuck Hayes WILL be so valuable to our team. Last season, I watched him come in mid 2nd quarter for TOR and bother Greg Monroe. Give or take 10 mpg, depending on match-ups, I cannot wait for that official announcement. One can also hope he makes a substantial impact on the development of Montrezl, too.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That would certainly be nice, but I'm more curious to see if he could slow down Blake.

Truth be told, whenever Blake wasn't pulling one of his 4th quarter Houdini acts, he was just about unstoppable. Something good would happen literally every time he touched the ball.

5. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

The Hayes-type defensive stopper is incredibly undervalued in the league. They really should be valued almost like a lockdown corner in the NFL... only difference is Hayes has to play offense... :)

6. Ryris

Ryris Member

CHUCKWAGON best pump fake freethow in the game. I guarantee a lane violation on a chuckwagon free throw this year!

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Terry was the locker room leader when the team went to WCF last season. If Hayes still has it (meaning elite defense AND the ability to lead THIS team) then I have no problem bringing him back for the min. I just do not want TWO over the hill end of the bench players.

We need the right role players around Harden and Howard, younger with more upside is my preference. Love what Hayes brought all those years ago, but Terry made a huge impact last season. He was definitely the guy everyone respected and when he spoke everyone listened, even the stars.

8. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Will he be Charles Jones-valuable?

9. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

If I remember correctly....the chuckwagon used to routinely frustrate Blake all the time and took him out of games

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Hey, Charles Jones was part of that second title team. I like that kind of value.

11. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

You wouldn't want Chuckwagon to teach our youngins how to play the game? I think that D-Mo and Capela could definately learn from Chuck.

12. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

We can't do that with Terry anymore. We renounced his rights, so it is vet min or using a portion of the MLE, which only has about $600K more than his minimum, anyway.

13. basketballholic

We can still sign-and-trade Terry.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Yes, I believe you are correct. The reason we renounced Terry was so that we could multiply KPap, Prigioni, Dorsey, and Johnsons' salaries by 150% to trade for Lawson. If we had kept Terry's cap hold on the books, then we could only multiply by 125% and we would've needed to include more salary in the Lawson deal (ie TJones).

Now that the trade is done, we can "unrenounce" Terry's rights and use him as outgoing salary in a trade. We can only multiply him by 125%, but between him and TJones, we can acquire about 90% of the players in the league, or an aggregate of about $10-11 million in incoming salary.

15. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Who is hard-capped after a sign and trade, the team receiving the sign-and-traded player or the team trading him away?

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Surely you cannot unrenounce a player to bypass the cap like that.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

The team receiving.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Nevermind. I'm wrong. Ignore what I posted. I found Coons comment on this, and it appears you CANNOT do what I suggested.

Here's Coon's comment:

19. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yeah, I don't believe that is true.

20. basketballholic

My understanding is this is not permissable. I was told a different version regarding the signings of Bev and Brewer not actually being complete until they passed a physical. But I can't verify that in the cba right now so I'm starting to doubt whether this was accurate.