1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Catching teams off guard: Brooks, Lowry finally teaming up to give Rockets...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 12, 2011.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

They arent going to trade Martin.

They spent years trying to get him.

2. mazinger

mazinger Member

Brooks didn't make **** at the end or to win the game. All of Brooks shots were terrible shots. He was lucky. We almost lost a 12 point lead with about 4 minutes left only scoring free throws at the very end. Brooks didn't lead ****. You and DD get your heads out of your ass. If it weren't that we had the worst 2 defenders on the court, Scola and Miller, we would have won the home games against Portland and Utah. You think Brooks 24 points, which is Martin's average, is more impressive than 45?

3. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

These are the "capable players who also play defense"? Hate to break it to you, but the only good shooters on that list do NOT play any defense. You are just singling out Martin because you, in fact, don't like him, no matter how many posts you make it a point to say that you do. And it's fine that you don't like him, just be honest about it like the poster earlier who flat out said, "I just really dislike K-Mart."

It really doesn't make sense to say Martin is clearly the more expendable one over AB because Martin plays poor defense. AB's defense is worse; whether it's because of his size or what, it's just worse plain and simple.

I agree that since they're our two best scorers at the wings, one of them is expendable for a good center, or in a package for a superstar. But a case can be made for either one being more valuable. K-Mart because he puts up more points with amazing efficiency, or AB because he's better at closing/imposing his will on the game. But neither one's 20+ points per game is easily replaced.

1 person likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Go to about 50 seconds in this video...
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5IBJ4blRCtY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5IBJ4blRCtY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    About half of the video is him hitting difficult shots in the 4th.

Martin never hits these types of shots. When the Celtics made runs, Brooks always silenced them. Yeah they were bad shots...but he made them. It reminded me of the time Kobe would play us, we would make a run and he'd hit some ridiculous shot to end that noise. NO BROOKS IS NOT KOBE but he made those shots that night.

I am not the biggest Brooks fan, so i'm not defending him or anything. Fact is from what I have seen he seems to make bigger shots than Martin and I WOULD take that any day then big production in the first 3qtrs then not much later.

Yeah the Celtics came back...hello, they are the F'n Celtics. We shouldn't have beat them any way and we did.

Point is someone is going to have to go, we have too many players and I doubt the decision will be made soon. But honestly I would like the Rockets to try out this Lowry-Brooks combo more. Give it a shot because we already know what we get from Martin.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I do like Martin, a lot...have for YEARS.....I am saying he is our most valuable asset and could be traded.

And if he is, we have a guy who shoots pretty well who also plays defense in Courtney Lee ready to take over, the rest of those guys I mentioned were the ones who would get more shots.

I did not say more expendable, I said most valuable commodity, and thus probably the biggest trade target by other teams.

No one said they were easily replaced, but if you look at it from an asset management or from a balanced rosters perspective, we have a lot of wings, we do not have a lot of good PGs, we have 2, and we have 4 rotation ready wings right now, and they all need minutes.

Either way, I think you guys have completely missed my point, and as such it is a waste of time.

DD

6. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

You have got to be blind.

7. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

This.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yet he still averages 24 ppg at an incredibly efficient clip. DM is still hunting for that so-called closer. AB is not him. I'm glad that he looks like he's getting back on track though.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Brooks had a great game. He hit 2 threes and another deuce in the 4th quarter.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Brooks did not play in either of those games, and your posting tone is highly offensive.

If you are trying to make a point, please try to be civil, because any point you might have will get lost in the ether of nothingness after being rude.

Thanks,

DD

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Has it occurred to anyone that if we finally do get our superstar, we WON'T need Brooks to be the closer? That is what a superstar does. With Lowry and a superstar on the team, that makes AB completely redundant. Martin is at least a very good complement while AB needs the ball in his hands constantly to be effective.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Better to have two guys capable of closing than just one.

DD

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Points are points. I'm glad you aren't the head coach or the GM of our team. "Hey guys, it's OK to shoot terribly for 3 quarters as long as you turn it on in the 4th."

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Then AB needs to come off the bench. You can't have 2 primary scorers start together, especially if one is the PG.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As opposed to shooting well in the first 3 qtrs and then disappear when it is winning time? Yeah that would be good to have a team filled with those guys.

Any ways...brooks did score through the first 3 qtrs so I don't know what point you are trying to make.

16. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

That points are points. If you score 24 on 50% shooting, it literally doesn't matter when you scored those points. If you're saying that AB is better in the 4th quarter, then it means he's worse in the other 3 quarters because his stats overall aren't better than KMart's.

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Great post. DD's obsession with AB needs to stop.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're just looking at numbers, that don't really tell the exact story.

Because while 24 points is 24 points...it is much more meaningful if you score those points at key times in the game to kill or get momentum.

Don't even say there is no such thing as momentum because i'm sure every single coach would tell you otherwise.

Also someone like Chase getting 20 points is not the same as Kobe getting 20 points. Chase would get those points off of open jumpers while Kobe would get his off difficult shots that should have been stops for the opposing defense.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The fanbase obsession with pitting two players against each other at all times is really annoying.

Tracy vs Yao
    Scola vs Landry
    Brooks vs Lowry
    Brooks vs Martin
    Battier vs Ariza

Just stop already.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

EXACTLY! How quickly so many people forget. The Rockets plan, as constantly evolving as it has been, has included 1 constant for the past 9 years now. In the most recent years he has been the highest paid part of that plan. I just don't see how people can be so quick to judge the quality of a whole that is missing its biggest piece.

The problem for the Rockets continues to be the players who are NOT playing not the ones who are. I know as fans we want instant results/gratification, but lets all come back to reality and understand that once Yao went down yet again there just weren't instant fixes out there. Franchise centers are few and far between if you haven't noticed.

When you think about how much payroll has been sidelined the past few years, I don't see how you can be anything but impressed with what we have been able to do. Its funny how quickly everyone wants to jump to blame Brooks or Martin for our problems and forget its hard to compete down $17 MIL.