1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CHRON: Bonzi happy to be playing with Rockets, Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by doublehh03, Oct 8, 2007.

1. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

At odds with Jeff Van Gundy and unsettled by losing a huge contract last season, the swingman says he is happy to be playing for Rick Adelman

By FRAN BLINEBURY

AUSTIN — There's been less of Bonzi Wells this year in training camp. So there could be more of Bonzi Wells in the lineup for the Rockets this season.

Wells is about 15 pounds lighter and has been bouncing around the different courts inside the Cooley Pavilion at the University of Texas as if someone unstrapped a piano from his back.

"This is how you want a professional camp to be," he said. "You want guys to be themselves and come out and play their games and not play a game somebody else tells you you have to play."

If the Rockets have a different look, different offensive philosophy, different demeanor this time around, nowhere is it more evident than in Wells, 31, the swingman who is reveling in the coaching change from Jeff Van Gundy to Rick Adelman.

Wells' participation was limited through most of the camp sessions due to a groin strain he suffered in a bathroom fall at home four weeks ago. Yet he says he's been uplifted by the change in atmosphere surrounding the team.

"Players can be players," Wells, 6-5, said. "You ain't got to worry about it. Coach last year had a problem telling guys what he wanted them to do instead of letting guys play your game. Coach Adelman doesn't do that. He lets you go out here, and it's OK to make a mistake. When you make a mistake, you don't worry about it. You don't stress about it and think about getting yelled at. Coach's way is just make up for it.

"This year my mind is clear. Coach Adelman is here. I know what he expects from me.

"This ain't college. This is the pros. We're all men, right? Treat guys like men, and they're going to perform like men."

In limited workouts while recovering from a groin pull, there's been a different Wells on display in camp.

"I like what I see in Bonzi," Tracy McGrady said. "He's happy. He came into camp in great shape. He lost 30 pounds, so that tells you that he's really focused and ready to play this year."

Bad first impression
    Wells was a last-minute arrival to the Rockets on the eve of camp a year ago, signed to a bargain-basement $5 million, two-year contract after mishandled negotiations with the Sacramento Kings cost him a guaranteed deal worth eight times that much.

The plan was for him to be an effective third-option scorer behind McGrady and Yao Ming, a veteran who could make the offense harder to bottle up in the playoffs.

But after reporting out of shape, missing several days of camp for dental appointments and personal reasons, Wells set off a tug of war with Van Gundy that lasted all season.

He fell hard and suffered a back injury that put him on the inactive list in December and never found a rhythm or a rapprochement with Van Gundy.

Wells made his only start of the season Feb. 26, in place of an ailing McGrady, and finished with season highs of 27 points, nine rebounds and three assists in a home loss to the Boston Celtics.

On the season, he played in only 28 games, averaging 7.8 points, 4.3 rebounds and shot a career-low .411 from the field.

"It wasn't just me," Wells said. "Coach had a problem categorizing guys. He'd tell guys, 'The only thing you can do is shoot. The only thing you can do is post up. The only thing you can do is this, this and that.'

"That's not basketball. ... That's not productive. It's not getting the most out of everybody.

"He can probably be good and coach kids. But it's tough for him to coach a grown man like me. ... I ain't scared of him. I told him that to his face."

Wells concedes he wasn't in the best frame of mind entering last season after losing a guaranteed long-term deal with Sacramento.

"I'll admit, it wasn't all coach," he said. "It was me, too. But think about how you might feel if you lost $40 million. That kind of sits on your mind a whole lot."

Welcome reunion
    Now Wells is reunited with Adelman, for whom he thrived during the 2005-06 season in Sacramento, averaging 23.2 points in the playoffs and nearly leading an upset of defending champion San Antonio.

"He's a big part of it," Adelman said. "When you put him on the floor coming off the bench, he's someone who's very explosive around the basket. He ran our stuff pretty well in Sacramento. He's a great offensive rebounder.

"I think when Tracy's not on the floor, he's somebody you can go to who really has an advantage on most people. He's so strong. He really can be a huge help.

"It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, see how these guys play together. But I've seen Bonzi in our offense, and he's been effective. So I don't see any reason why he can't be now."

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5195682.html

this was what i didn't like about JVG. mistakes are meant to be made. sure stars get away with it. but u gotta understand role/minor players make them too and u can't give them too short of a leash. bonzi and vspan were among those.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bonzi should STFU.

3. Shay

Shay Member

With Vspan also , he tried to make him a spot up shooter.
    And NO I am not saying it's JVG's fault Vspan didn't work out.
    JVG just can't get the best out of his players , because of his charachter and philosphy imo.
    And Wells said it , they are grown men and when you give them respect and responsibility and believe in them , they will feel that they need and they will want to give back 100% effort , and they won't do it unhappily.

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

that's why i feel he put so much pressure on tmac and yao. he thinks everyone else is so one-dimensional that only tracy can create and things like that.

like wells said, JVG prollie categorized bonzi as a post up player and if he didn't do that well, he has no use. same w/ vspan, if he turns the ball over, he has no use.

if u don't give them encouragement, they're not gonna try hard.

5. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

if Bonzi is a grown man like himself claimed, he'd be professional and report to camp in shape last season. have you seen Pop yelled at Ginobli?

6. RedRaiderRocket

Isn't the chronicle, getting tired of beating a dead horse? The JVG era is over time to move on.

7. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

i love bonzi but he needs to be a bit more careful in his wording... saying that jvg is better suited to coach kids is quite an unnecessary cheapshot in my opinion. granted, jvg may have been too controlling, but that is a bit much.

in all honesty, as long as we are winning, then bonzi can say whatever he wants...

8. Shay

Shay Member

I want to see how motivated and in shape you will be after you lost 30 something million dollars.
    It was bothering all of last season , now he put it behind him and to this camp he came in great shape and motivated.
    So I guess he is a professional.

9. abcdef

abcdef Member

I suppose this was to be expected. The easiest people to bash are the ones that are no longer around.

When JVG was hired, he was lauded for fixing the poor culture of SF/Mobley doing whatever the hell they wanted on the court. Now we're using the euphemism "letting the players play their game" to say how awesome it is that players will be allowed to do whatever the hell they want, which was exactly what we didn't want 4 years ago. I suppose when Adelman is fired and we hire a disciplinarian like Larry Brown the talk will go the other way again.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think Bonzi has it backwards. He wants to be treated like a grown man, but grown men know how to take orders. JVG ran the team like an army, Bonzi had to know how to follow. It's not a coaches job to stroke a player's ego when they show up non-committal and out of shape. That's on Bonzi, first and foremost.

Remember why Adelman got fired from the kings? Their excuse was that he didn't coach any defense. His response? "They should have given me more defensive players." You're looking at two opposite approaches when it comes to JVG and Adelman. RA tailors his gameplan to the player, JVG wants the player to stick with his. If JVG were coaching that kings team, they would have played defense. In 05/06, we had real defensive stalwarts like Alston, Head, Swift, and Juwan playing major minutes and we were still one of the best defensive teams in the league. Maybe RA could get more out of his players if his vision wasn't limited to their natural talents.

I don't want to get into who's the better head coach. Sometimes, good players and coaches just don't see eye to eye and I don't think either side deserves the blame. Bonzi just isn't a JVG player. And don't even bring up Vspan. That guy complained about having to play too much man D. If he's got a problem with that, he's not even an NBA player.

11. liangqj

liangqj Member

Bonzi is really happly for Adelman's coming, that is the reason why he comes back this season. I hope that he can far away from injury, especially in playoff.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

LOL. What a joke. The guy came into camp looking like Oliver Miller's younger brother and people still find reasons to blame the situation the coach.

13. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Bonzi speaks the truth.

14. Shay

Shay Member

Bonzi said letting the players play their game , what I think he meant is that Adelman is trying to make it easier and he plays more to their strengths , it's within his system on offense but they still get chances to do what they do best each player.
    With JVG for Example he had more defined roles and he didn't play to players' strengths as much.
    For example Alston had to shoot so many three's , yes it's because the double teams but find a way so that this player will not need to shoot so much when he is not a good shooter.
    Snyder didn't play because he couldn't shoot and missed defensive rotations , we were a jumpshooting team so Snyder can't play.
    Both Yao and T-Mac thought Snyder should play more and could have helped us but he didn't fit the T-Mac and Yao creating everything and the rest just shooting system.

15. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

When I would see any one of those youtube videos showing T-Mac's 13 point outburst within the last 35 seconds of that one game three years ago that lead to that rather improbable Rockets' win over the Spurs, I could see Pop yelling at Ginobli after he had removed him from that game during that stretch because of some dangerous crosscourt inbound pass he had made that nearly resulted in a steal for the Rockets. You would see that occurrence early-on in any one of those given videos, at least 1 minute in.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

is this place ever going to let the jvg thing go?

17. emacs

emacs Member

yes, He should :)

I really miss Jon Barry and his unique way to pass in fastbreak.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

hahaha

Although another interesting thing to note. Has anyone looked at the Portland Bonzi?

I'd say there were 3 phases of Bonzi.

Portland/Memphis - he looked passably normal. Big guy but nothing crazy, just a guy with good size for a SG. He actually had a midrange game at this time and didn't just camp out on the post and in the paint. Also, the dude was pretty athletic. He definitely made some pretty sweet plays in Portland.

Sacramento - the guy got bigger. He was noticeably less mobile and really started to post up and hang around the basket more which was fine in Sacramento since they didn't have a post presence to begin with.(unlike Portland with Sabonis, Wallace etc.. or in Memphis with Pau Gasol) Hence why he was averaging career highs in rebounding. Also, he didn't have to do that much since the system basically created offense for him. Plus he got tons of points off of put backs and offensive rebounds.

Houston - the Oliver Miller phase. Now he's gone back down to Sacramento Bonzi which is still bigger than what he once was. I'd like him to be in Portland shape but that's unrealistic at this point. But I suppose we could use the rebounding. He was much less of a defensive liability in Portland though. His lateral movement is still pretty crappy or at least in Sacramento it was.

19. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

The more I hear talk of JVG after he's not our coach anymore, the more it seems like he wasn't handling this team the right way. He seems more and more like an @sshole, and it seems he tried turning the players into robots instead of letting them be themselves. If we got 52 wins with him as coach, imagine how many we could get with Adelman. I'm glad Bonzi is speaking his mind. I'd have done the same thing. :cool:

20. IMissJVG

IMissJVG Rookie

Wow. denniscd was 100% right. The JVG cheap shots have already arrived, courtesy of Fran Blinebury.