1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Chron Blog] What about Bob?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manila, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Manila

Manila Member

Doubtful to start the season?

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2006/10/what_about_bob.html

October 02, 2006
    What about Bob?
    Bob Sura is going to take a few more weeks to test his knee and decide if he can come back.

It makes sense for him to be sure one way or another. He has shown an ability to play effectively when not physically at his best and once he decides it's over, he won't be turning back, so he understandably wants to be sure.

The uncertainty also sounds as if he won't be able to make it back.

I can't help but still think he might.

I'm starting to admit that I might have been overly influenced by Adrian Griffin and Antonio McDyess, two former micro fracture patients who were also thought to be through, but have made it back and have played far better than anyone thought they could. Both have said they often thought they could not come back shortly before it all turned around for them.

Griffin was so far from getting back to the court, when the Rockets dealt Griffin to the Bulls, the Bulls assumed he had retired. Griffin had to ask to be allowed to come to camp where he made the team and revived his career. After returning to the Mavericks last season, he signed as a free agent with the Bulls, showing something about his comeback, but also how those that know him want him around.

Maybe if I knew Allan Houston, who could not come back from micro fracture surgery, I would be more pessimistic about Sura's chances. And he not only will have to be able to come back, but come back able to play at some level to make it worth his and the Rockets' while.

But I cannot help but think that he will find a way to get back on the court. He won't have to carry the load for this Rockets team as he did when he returned from back surgery to help key the turnaround of the 2004-05 season. His attitude would always be welcome. He is under contract anyway.

The odds might not be great, but I'm going to be stubborn on this one and think Sura has another comeback left.

Posted by Jonathan Feigen at October 2, 2006 07:57 PM

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

the heart says he makes a solid and heartwarming comeback - the head says he's done.

only time will tell I guess. I know there's people on here who strongly believe he's done. But I question how they could possibly know this?

potentially the Rocks could be indicating they're not expecting anything from him with the way they've gone after guys who would fill his shoes (Wells, Snyder, Spanoulis).

at the end of the day though, it really is down to Bobby.

3. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

I think the rockets need to move on.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Why. You seen him play, or maybe you're his doctor?

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Get well bobby :). If we can't use your body at least we could use yoru support and fire. Bring the lunchpail!!

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Has any player ever been loved as much as Bobby after only playing a half season with us.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

why? because this is holding us back somehow?

either way...microfracture sucks. I feel like I am done for my life after microfracture and I am only 26. but I am 6 months out from the surgery. if sura is any guage for me then I probably have another whole year of this annoying crap recovery.

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

It's weird, isn't it? His play on the court made him well-liked, but he wasn't great. He brought it every night and fired up his teammates, but that was worth infatuation at best.

I think it was his take-down of Josh Howard in the playoffs that earned him love from Rockets fans. That's what did it for me anyway.

I hope he makes it back.

9. LFE171

LFE171 Member

man id say that about jon barry too. wish he was doing the color commentary. :(

wish you the best of luck bob. if there really was a bob sura fan club, id be in it for sure.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That and his obvious love of playing the game and the exuberance he showed after everything. He is one of those few players in sports who show that they care and can inspire teammates and fans. And even though he was a below average shooter, I loved watching him take big shots and showing excitement.

11. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

From the day I heard he's going to try to come back one last time, I've had no doubt in my mind that he makes it.

Bob Sura will make it. He will be one of the best backup PG's in the league this season. We will probably limit his minutes, which is good, but imagione the fire a supporting cast of Sura, Wells, and Hayes will bring out of Yao and T-Mac?

I love it. This team needs him. He needs this team. We're waiting Bobby.

12. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

Because it is the best for the team to not hold a roster spot for someone that has a history of health problems. Yes, there are a lot of unproven players but we need to make room to keep some guys who can potentially develop. It's just business nothing personal.

13. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

I still love Boki for his exchange with Karl Malone.

14. YnMDynasty

YnMDynasty Member

Since Rox've got Wells, Bob should be replaced by a young player such as Kelenna Azubuike. Besides, it will be an excellent decision as well that Rox signed Padgett and waived Bowen.

if Mutombo announced he'd rather retire...

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more!! It's about time for his departure from the Game. He has made his money and the Rocks have young blood to develop.

16. mtran6

mtran6 Contributing Member

I hope Bob Sura can comeback and play. Bob Sura is like a Brandon Backe of the Houston Astros. If he can't play, he sure give great positive support to the team. He has that fire and energy that keeps a team going. Get WELL BOB!

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

You are one of my favorite Rockets players of all time, I loved your game. But, it is time for you to go on with your life. Enough pain, enough rehab., don't put your body through the rigors of the NBA game and risk an even more serious injury. Thanks so much for all you did, but it is time to call it quits. I hope you can stay around in some capacity on the team, maybe a coach.

18. lalala902102001

At Sura's age, with the type of injury he's had and the amount of time he's been off, it will be awefully tough for him to come back and be effective again. I think it's time for him to hang 'em up.

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm perfectly comfortable with Bob Sura busting his ass trying to win a roster spot during preseason. What's it going to hurt? If he can play, great, and if he can't, he'll be gone. Van Gundy had no problem cutting Barry last season, so I doubt he'll lose sleep over telling Bob that it's time.

20. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Yep, but his roster spot is going to be swallowed up V-Span and eventually the Rockets might have to buy him out