1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron Blog] Rockets update 9/22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Sep 22, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/09/summers_gone_and_the_time_is_r.html

Updates:
    • Scola, Battier, Andersen, Ariza, Hayes, Budinger, Taylor, Garret, and Conroy going at it in scrimmages
    • Brooks has just joined the team
    • Salim Stoudamire trying to make the team
    • Chuck Hayes = Magic Johnson

The Rockets off-season workouts have moved toward five-on-five games. They are pretty intense, too, which is to be expected with a half-dozen guys with non-guaranteed contracts in the gym with the GM, three vice presidents, four assistant coaches and two Adelmans looking on.

Luis Scola, Shane Battier and David Andersen have joined the regulars. (Tracy McGrady is still in Chicago, getting a last few days of work in with Tim Grover and posing for pictures.)

Trevor Ariza is playing, along with the usual suspects (Chuck Hayes, Chase Budinger, Jermaine Taylor Garrett Temple and Will Conroy). James White got in one final Toyota Center run before he was traded to Denver. Aaron Brooks joined the workout late after his medical testing. And there was one new face, Salim Stoudamire, who would love to bring his jumper to training camp.

To me, the highlight of the games was Chuck Hayes going Magic Johnson. He had several occasions in which he grabbed the defensive rebound and took off, leading fast breaks and finishing his last one.

As for things the Rockets might actually do during real games, Ariza looks very good and in phenomenal shape. The guy doesn't sweat. He did not hit some of the shots he will have to, but then, few did. Battier looked very good, but did not hit his shots.

Taylor looks better than he did in Las Vegas. He was less of a ball stopper, finished well and was more discerning with his jumpers.

Other than that, Scola, Budinger and Conroy (who really looks like he belongs) made the shots you would expect. Andersen knocked down a few and had a few sharp passes. Dorsey blocked a few shots and generally looked good.

Mostly, it was good to see real basketball again.

More news on Chuck, btw, from Morey and Friedman tweets in past few days:

Friedman:
    "Battier and Scola are here and have joined 5-on-5 runs at TC. Both look great. Chuck Hayes wreaking havok as always with his energy & hustle"
    9:48 AM Sep 21st from UberTwitter

Morey:
    Great 5x5 turnout today with AB/CB/TA/JW/WC/GT/DA/BC/CH/JD. Highlight was a Chuck Hayes throw down! Rest of team in by early next week.
    8:35 PM Sep 18th from web

#1 durvasa, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

3. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

I KNEW CHUCK HAD IT IN HIM

4. Convictedstupid

Still some distaste for Mcgrady I see...

Thank God preseason starts in 14 days.. I need to watch some freaking basketball!

5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I'd like to see some pictures.

6. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Stoudamire could be a nice addition, sort of like instant offense, designated shooter type that Wafer was. He has one of the best strokes in the league with a very quick release.

8 ppg, 36% from 3 in 17 mpg so far in his career.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Such delight reading about Rockets basketball. I'll take the 42 W's JF was referencing...I'll even be sated with 32 and competing nightly, developing mightily (and winning the ping pong ball-a-thon).

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What??! No Landry? No Lowry?

I will NOT read into this.

;)

9. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

The Chuck Wagon is going to have a nice year :D

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We could do a lot worse for a third guard than Salim Stoudamire. He's limited, but has talent. What kind of medical evaluations is Brooks going through?

11. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I don't know but he played 5 on 5 so don't think it's to bad.

Anyone know that Chinese websites that has Rockets pictures on it? The website that took a bunch of pointless pictures of David Andersen stretching.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

So close to finally seeing basketball, man i've been sufficating with out it........"Im a basketball junkie and I need my fix"

-rocketblaze

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm so glad we have a team I am excited about, even without superstars. I love these guys.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Did anyone note this from the Blog:

Daryl Morey is still working the phones...

Meanwhile, the single most logical 2-1 deal in the Association:

Dorsey + Cook + $/difference = Gasol, the junior. There are no shots remaining for a Grizz and Gasol doesn't board enough to put back the only shots he could get. Heisley will buy into Dorsey selling seats. It's a natural.

(But isn't Barbosa/Shane also a natural fit both ways???)

15. Egghead

Egghead Member

Salim Stoudamire is also from Arizona :) ... he can shoot the 3 ball.. but is undersized

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What medical test are they referring about Brooks? I would assume it would be a routine test before re-joining camp,but I'm not sure.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

hopefully a couple of points more on the stats sheet

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Salim! Another NCAA cult hero like Acie Law. Unfortunately his 'spew hot fiah' range did not extend to the NBA three.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That would be a steal for us,but it's not likely to happen.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That would basically triple his point production. :D