1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron blog] Rockets face tough choices

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 4, 2011.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Jonathan Feigen echoes my thoughts after the Denver game pretty closely:

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2011/01/whipped_inside_again_rockets_f.html

[rquoter]
    Whipped inside again, Rockets face tough choices

Chuck Hayes is valuable, way more than the numbers could ever suggest. He is important to what the Rockets do, completely at home with the system and his teammates.

There is no way he should be irreplaceable.

So far, however, he has been.

The way things are supposed to go is that a guy like Hayes gets hurt and the young, springy-legged 6-10 lottery pick steps in and takes his career in another direction.

It has not happened. It has been just three games. Jordan Hill might just need time, just as he eventually grew into his previous role when he began the season out of the rotation and then made it work with Brad Miller and the second-unit.

In the three games without Hayes, however, Hill has averaged just 3.7 rebounds as the Rockets' starting center. He has made just 7 of 18 shots. He was in foul trouble against Denver, but the mix did not seem right, with everything grinding to a stop when Hill posted up, as he looked far more unsure of himself than he did when playing with the second unit.

He was far from the only problem. The Rockets continued to get whipped inside, allowing 46 points in the paint in all three games with Hayes out. In Portland, much of that was on breakaways. But the Trail Blazers and Nuggets got in the lane and on the boards. The Rockets did not seem to have answers, and Hill would seem to have the abilities to solve those problems.

Solutions are not going to be easy. With the Rockets playing five games this week, they won't practice until Thursday and that will likely be more of a walk-through than a way to retool the rotation. Patrick Patterson has played well, but it would seem a tough move to take him from not playing at all to starting, and out of position, in less than week.

The Terrence Williams decision is even tougher. Chase Budinger was struggling as the Rockets went 6-1 after the deal for Williams. In the past four games, however, Budinger has averaged 14 points a game, scoring in double-digits in all four and making 11 of 15 3s, 18 of 29 shots overall in that stretch.

Budinger struggles too greatly defensively to have him start rather than Shane Battier and assuming Kevin Martin turns things back around, the starters need defense, not another scorer. Williams would seem to fit well with the second unit, where he can create off the dribble. Courtney Lee, Aaron Brooks, Miller, Patterson and Budinger can all catch and shoot. But Lee has played well and Budinger is heating up so it would be tough to remove either from the mix.

Brooks has struggled big-time since his return and has seemed to let his frustration get the best of him in the past two games. The Rockets could move Lee to backup point and put Williams in the rotation for Brooks. But Brooks is still potentially too great a weapon to remove from the rotation entirely.

That does not leave many options. And though Williams brings a variety of skills, he can't step into the void at center.

Someone needs to. Changes are likely not imminent, but with the schedule only going to grow tougher, the Rockets could need solutions or changes soon. The Rockets return home to face the Trail Blazers again. From there, they go against Dwight Howard, Al Jefferson and Shaquille O'Neal in the next three games. And the loss of Hayes, all 6-foot-6 of him, looms large.
    [/rquoter]

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great blog, thanks for posting it.

I know Morey says having a ton of good players is a great problem it isn't really if some of them are not playing well, and are not replaced because of it.

Maybe that 12 man rotation that the Euros use would work and you just keep the hot handed people in?

And no mention of Jeffries our best post defender right now......he is clearly on his way out ASAP....

DD

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

great blog by feign. same problem persists: defense.

4. DaDakota

There is no solution for a team without a legitimate center......other than going out and getting one.....

DD

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am really dissappointed that Daryl has not found a suitable replacement at center, when the writing has been on the wall for such a long time, years even.

6. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

I think a Daryl needs to make a deal quick

7. gah

gah Member

Yikes.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

What's really going to dissappoint Rocket fans is when we get a center, and our defense is still below par.

Defense is a culture.

I am extremely concerned.

I love Scola, but I think a young center to go with Patterson, and a youth revived defensive intensity, is what we need.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

we're stuck until feb it seems..

10. DaDakota

Scola was fine when we had Deke and Yao at the rim.......

We just need a shot blocking presence at the rim.....but will Morey go get one this year and give up some of the pieces he has acquired, or will he sit tight until after the year?

The Rox could make noise this season with a true shot blocking center.....it would change everything......

DD

11. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Why is "Brooks" and "out of the rotation" mentioned in the same sentence. :eek:

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Because he's not playing well, the Rockets have a brutal stretch coming up, and it might be in his interest for him to sit out these games and rehab. Plus, that gives them a chance to see what Terrence Williams can do. Its just one option they have.

13. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

+1 for that. It is also unfair to ask Scola to defend opposing centers. Nene is just too strong for Luis.

When Chuck is out, Scola has to rebound, defend the rim/his man and also score. he is not built for that.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because he is playing like he is trying to get there.

15. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Is it really an injury issue or mental? I know he is not up to speed yet, but i dont seem him grimacing in pain on court to send him back to rehab. maybe its just a conditioning issue. but it sud have come back by now.

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

A young center like who? Who is young, defensive minded and available? I'm not sure there is anyone.

Unless the orginization feels like they are in complete rebuild mode, I would like to see someone like Anderson V, Camby or Gortat who is doubtful to be traded by the Suns.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yao and Deke was a hell of a combo, on the court, and in the locker room.

Defense is a culture, and I don't see a savior in our future.

What Center can give us what a younger Battier, Ron Artest and Dikembe Mutombo gave us? In attitude and production, we are severly lacking on the defensive end.

What C do you think would make us legit title contenders?

I hope you don't throw Haywood, Dalembert, Camby or Gortat out there.

18. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I know its too late to talk about this now, but why didnt Morey sign Fesenko ? were any reasons mentioned?

I know he is not a great player, but he seemed like a "rocket"-type to me. In the few games i have seen him, he was very active on the court defensively.

another issue. Scola used to put up constant 10-15 board games when Yao was playing and even after that. i don't see Scola pulling down boards like he used to earlier. have his rebounding numbers dwindled considerably?

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

The weakest links on the team are clearly Hill, Budinger and Brooks. The only 3 that I have ever "hated" on. Ideally we include Hill and Budinger along with Yao for a center. Nene has really shot up to the top of the list of potentially available candidates for me. Although I am not sure if 1. we have enough to get it done 2. it will be soon enough. As far as Brooks I am truly at a loss to what we should do with him. He is clearly the best player out of the 3, and have the greatest potential to contribute to the team. However with his contract situation, and his gaping deficiencies, I am on the fence as to whether we should trade him(for what?) or try to sign him for cheap.

20. QPower

QPower Member

I smell a trade coMing...................