1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Blinebury Blog on Morey vs JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, May 13, 2007.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

100% agree. Calling Mr. Morey. Get something done!

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch, I agree. Acknowledging the need for an upgrade at both PF and PG, I think the Rockets can "hide" their PF problems a lot easier than their PG problems.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree as well. I kinda of see the rockets maybe drafting a PF type of player ie.(Herbert Hill) with there pick and either making a trade ie.(Mike James) or signing a free agent veteran PG, someone that can help them right away. The PG situation for the rockets this season was basically there undoing.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I agree that is what JVG thought. The problem is that JVG's scheme is flawed in today's NBA.

V-Span should have been brought along to find out if he is going to be part of the future, because right now, no one knows.

It was a wasted year. Any realistic person would tell you that the Rockets had very little chance this year of winning it all, and it should have been about building for the next year and the 2 years after where Tmac and Yao are still a good combo.

By playing so conservative, JVG basically tossed in the towel on next year and the year after at least development wise.

And we KNOW that Rafer is not the answer.

DD

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. All you have to do is look at the point guards still playing -- Baron Davis, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Steve Nash in the West. Chauncey Billups, Kirk Hinrich, Jason Kidd, and ...well, LeBron/Larry Hughes I suppose in the East.

The problem, imo, is getting the upgrade. Chucky Atkins would be an upgrade. Hell, Smush Parker would be an upgrade (at least use a platoon). But those aren't the type of moves that really change this team. There's only one guy out there in free agency other than Chauncey Billups that is really a lead guard, and I don't think we have a shot at him (Mo Williams).

Is it to the point where we're praying Francis gets bought out, so we at least have a chance?

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

signed spurs and pistons

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That proves my point......

The Pistons play an all OVER game, perimeter shooting, penetration and post up, including High post offense.

The Spurs play inside out, but with penetration from 2 of their main players.

The Spurs are the blue print for the Rockets.

And Popovich PLAYED a 19 year old EURO PG because he knew the team would be better.

JVG played a 30 year old never was....and left the talent on the bench.

DD

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

again. you assume the talent is on the bench.

and dont even try to compare silly to parker. that just further shows your delusionary point of view.

but one thing you bring up is versatility of those teams and its players. rockets dont have that.

9. Fuse

Fuse Member

Why can't there be a comparison? He is just talking about taking chances. I mean, you can't honestly vspan's ability from his play time when he's playing out of position 99% of the time.

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

so you think billy will make his career at sg?

11. caphorns

caphorns Member

What choices does Morey have? Alexander is not going to open the bank to fill the Rockets needs around the two pricey superstars. Anything he does from here is a tweek. You can't get more value for the price than you are getting with a Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier or Luther Head. Trading those guys means making your team less valuable. Nobody's going to take the J-Ho contract off your hands - dream on with that one you dreamers. I doubt there is a team in the NBA clamouring for the services of the other guys who amounted to near nothing for us in the playoffs. And what's Morey to say? We need to overall all our crap for new crap? That's a great way to go into possible trade negotiations, isn't it.

The fact is that we were close to beating a very well-coached team that is going to coast into the WC finals with a legitimate chance of going all the way. He can "tweak" and maybe get us out of the first round and we can hope for lightening to strike twice with the No. 1 seed. Other than that, I really don't think he has much choice going forward.

In other words, JVG is right. Morey knows he's right. And JVG needs to stfu about it IMO.

12. Fuse

Fuse Member

He is playing sg, 99% of the time... his natural position is the pg, and he has rarely, if ever played there.

13. edc

edc Contributing Member

Too bad Mr. Van Gundy isn't anywhere near the caliber of Popovich and Larry Brown.

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

So do you want JVG gone because we didn't get past the first round again or because he didn't play a high turn over, poor outside shooting rookie pg so that player could develope? Because it doesn't make sense to bash him for not making the 2nd round while at the same time saying we had very little chance of winning it all.

JVG is always going to do what he can to win, so thinking he is going to throw away a year letting the 53rd pick in the draft develope is a bit over blown. I mean it's not like he was sitting a rookie Hakeem Olajuwon or something. These guys who didn't play weren't lottery picks, and while late round picks do develope into stars on occasion, it is the exception rather than the rule. All we know is that the coaches see the players in practice every day, and it's hard to belive that if Spanoulis was dominating there he would be on the bench all year when he couldn't beat out a mostly ineffective JLIII for a back up job.

As for Rafer, he is roughly = to Kenny Smith in function and few people would have thought Kenny would be leading any team to back to back titles prior to it happening. The problem is we need a Sam Cassel and Robert Horry along with Yao becoming the 2nd coming of Dream. Just don't forget that it took Dream 10 years for that to become a reality.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

JVG chose to play his veterans and make it 2nd round or bust. I would have prefered he develop some of the younger guys and used this year to build a championship team for the future.

Since he did not get past the first round - his way

Nor

Develop a bench for the future - organization way

He has to go.

I think JVG is afraid of players that are a bit risky with the ball, and Billy is a high risk/high reward guy.

But, we know that Rafer is not the answer, so JVG should have been trying elsewhere to find our PG answer.

Rafer is far less than Kenny Smith, he is not near the shooter.....but you are correct that we needs Sam Cassell and Horry...both players in their first or second year when the Rockets won the championship.

Think about it.

DD

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Again, you assume it isn't.

V-Span came in his rookie year much more highly touted than Parker.....only time will tell how they measure up.....

They don't have it because their coach is too darned rigid to explore it....I mean when is the last time you have seen Yao Ming on the high post?

DD

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I know I'm not assuming... I'm simply comparing the known commodities that other playoff teams are trotting out there. Unless V-Span can be as good as the other playoff team's 6th men (which is figuring pretty generously), there IS a discrepancy.

One was a first round pick at 19, the other was a second round pick that wasn't ready to play in the NBA... and may still not be ready to play in the NBA. Just because you've been oggling over him for the past year doesn't make him more highly touted (or more talented).

Even Rudy wasn't able to get anything out of a 20 year old Boki... and yet Poppovich gets something out of 19 year old Tony Parker? Maybe, just maybe, TONY PARKER WAS GOOD.

I thought the reason we weren't winning was because no V-span and underdeveloped bench of other gems such as Novak and Snyder... would you accept the next coach that puts Yao in the high post, but keeps V-Span on the bench? I doubt it.