1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Battier ready to play for former team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Hungarian Rocket, Oct 10, 2006.

1. The Hungarian Rocket

Oct. 9, 2006, 10:55PM
    ROCKETS NOTES: Battier ready to play for former team

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Don't I know you?
    For his first game with the Rockets, Shane Battier will go against the only team for which he had ever played as the Memphis Grizzlies visit Toyota Center in the Rockets' preseason opener tonight.

"I told my wife last night we could be playing the Harlem Globetrotters ... I don't know, anyone," Battier said. "I'm so worried about what I'm trying to do and to figure out my role and play mistake-free basketball, it will be strange playing against those guys. But I'm more concerned with what I'm doing than playing against those guys."

The game against the Grizzlies, however, offers a reminder of how comfortable Battier had become in Memphis and how much there is to learn with a new team.

"I've learned playing for coach ( Jeff) Van Gundy, there is a lot to remember," Battier said. "After being in a spot for five years, your brain sort of shuts down because you understand everything instinctively. Now it's time for me to become instinctive with a whole new philosophy and mindset. It will come. I'm not concerned."

Wells progressing
    Rockets guard Bonzi Wells went through almost all of Monday's practice, the most work he has done in any practice so far while coming back from soreness in the groin muscle he tore last season.

Wells said he felt better than in his first two practices.

"Hopefully in the next week or so, I'll get my sea legs, my basketball legs, and be going at full strength," he said. "It's just getting back. I wasn't able to play basketball at all this summer going through the contract thing. I didn't want to play and get hurt and really set myself back. This is my first time playing ball since the playoffs last year. I'm just trying to get back in a rhythm and get the feel of the new ball. I want to get my game back together."

Welcome change
    After seven training camp practices, most Rockets said playing the Grizzlies tonight will be a welcome change.

"We still have a lot of work," forward Tracy McGrady said. "We've only been at training camp for a week. It looked pretty good, though. We'll see how much a week's worth of work will pay off in (tonight's) game.

"You kind of get sick and tired of playing against the same guys every day. Guys know what plays we run. It's going to be a test for us to see where we're really at."

The Rockets have been set back by Yao Ming's toe injury and Bonzi Wells' need to slowly work himself back from a strained groin muscle, but they welcome the test.

"I think right now we get a chance to see what holes we need to fill and what mistakes we need to correct," guard Rafer Alston said. "Playing a team in your division in a tuneup game, it gets you a step closer."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4247417.html

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I'm so excited. i wanna see how lucas , novak and Vspan can do. not to mention how battier will do.. memphis even without gasol will be a quality hitout for us. i wonder how motivated rudy gay will be?

3. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Does anyone know if this game will be televised? And if so, will it be available in Austin??

4. The Hungarian Rocket

Who will play center? Deke and...? Howard or Haryasz?

5. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Dont think so. could be wrong though. i'm sure the miami game will be on tv..

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I like to see haryasz given a chance. we know what deke will bring, but i wanna see not only haryasz, lucas, Kill bill and novak will do.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

its listed on FSN Houston at 7:30 for those that have that channel.

it probably wont be broadcast outside the Houston market tho(excepting Memphis of course) but the chatroom should be in action for those that dont get it.

Im pumped...even tho this is just a wzrmup and we will be missing Yao...hopefully we will get to see some smallball lineups and see how some of our new guards do.

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Tottaly i''m pumped to. i wanna see how Kill bill does. i'm really looking forward to seeing bonzi and tracy on at the same time. god i'm excited!!!

9. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Is it just me or does the title look wrong?

Sounds like Shane is ready to rejoin the Grizzlies.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I wouldnt expect much from Bonzi just yet.

From the article, it seems they are working him in slowly to accomodate his sore muscle.

As long as nothing happens to him...I dont think we should expect a fully healthy Bonzi that is familiar enough with the team to make a difference till the first real game.

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

True 2k. i guess we better play it safe rather then sorry on bonzi. i dont expect tracy to play more then 20 to 25 minutes tonight. i think the minutes are gonna be evenly divided so everyone gets a crack at it.

12. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

It's on League Pass--YES!!!! (for me in VA, that is)

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I agree

considering the amount of guards we have that need real gametime experience to see what they can do...I would expect Tmac not seeing the floor in the second half.

and Im fine with that.

considering YAo not being there(Which leaves us short on bigmen) and Bonzi still working his way into game shape...I would not be surprised if we lose this game...which Im actually also fine with...as long as we get some good looks at our new unproven guys.

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

BTW, dont forget mr potential himself is also gonna be playing, :p . if you havent figured out by now, i'm talking bout non other then Stromile Swift. :p ;)

15. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Stro has a knee strain.

He's out for this game.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Oh thats a shame. despite being an lazy ass duffus, i kinda like stro.. oh well.

17. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

plus stevenson officially debuts,met him,cool guy,sounded good at open practice. also i wanna see if we got a new intro, billy,bonzi,tmac in uniform,today will be a good day :)

18. superden

superden Contributing Member

I think it should be "Battier Ready To Play AGAINST Former Team"

Way to go Chronicle...

19. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

Does anyone know if everyone can play tonight? I mean are all players eligible? Can the team have all it's players be in uniform or can there only be 12 like in regular season? Sorry 3 questions for one answer.

20. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I'm in Austin too and since its on league pass, I'm gonna go have a burger and some beers at Aussies off Riverside if anyone wants to go. They have a bunch of TVs, good food, bar.