1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Chron} Barry and Rafer injury updates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DcProWLer277, Dec 20, 2008.

1. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Rockets Notes: Adelman surprised by number of firings

Mass exodus

The Rockets’ back-to-back Friday and today match them against two of the six NBA teams that have replaced coaches, with Kenny Natt taking over for Reggie Theus in Sacramento and Kevin McHale replacing Randy Wittman in Minnesota.

“I’m surprised. I’m surprised at the number of them,” Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. “That’s the way it is. It is easier to change one guy than it is to change the whole thing.

“But six before Christmas seems like a little bit much. I think this is an unusual year, too. You’ve had quite a few teams get off to miserable starts.

“I don’t know what the Sacramento thing was, but Brad (Miller) was suspended for five games and Kevin (Martin) has been out. Francisco (Garcia) was out. You get going in the wrong direction in this league and it’s hard to turn it around.

“The classic line I’ve seen a couple times is that everybody’s accountable. I’ve seen general managers say that or personnel people. But everybody is still there but the coach, so everybody is not accountable. Even though that’s a nice statement to say, I don’t think that’s the truth. But when you’re coaching in this league, you know that’s something that can happen at any time.”

An option in waiting
    With Aaron Brooks starting at point guard while Rafer Alston is out with a strained hamstring, Luther Head has moved back in as the backup point.

But Rockets coach Rick Adelman would like to pair Head with Brent Barry, an option he has not had with Barry out the past 10 games with a tear in a plantaris muscle.

“If Brent can come back, too, that makes it easier, because when those guys were playing together, they were pretty good because they could handle the ball and we could use them as a combination,” Adelman said.

Injuries not serious
    The Rockets are far from over their injuries, but they seem headed in that direction, with Joey Dorsey available Friday, Brent Barry expected back tonight in Minnesota and Rafer Alston expected back on the Rockets’ road trip.

“Fortunately, most of the things we have are not serious, turned ankles, pulled hamstring,” Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. “You just have to get through it. If you weather the storm and win as many games as you can, when you get everybody back, we’ll be OK.

“Trying to look at a positive, there are not real serious injuries here. They’re just injuries that cause us not to move forward. The good news is guys are coming back. Hopefully in a couple weeks we’ll have guys feeling better.”

Thank God, only a couple more guys to go before we can see everyone somewhat healthy.

2. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

3. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Thanks for the heads up,man

Finally we seem not injury plagued,all of injuries occurred to our guys are miniscule,it's not that hard to pull through it.

Brent's gon play tonight?That shalt be great news to shorthanded Rockets coz Aaron played 44 mins last night against the Queens.

Oh wait,am I missing something?What about Von Wafer?That guy sat out 2 games already if my memory serves me right.what about him?He's on the mend and coming back too? :confused:

4. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

Nice, that means that we could rest more T-Mac, Battier and Artest with Barry back. Also, vs Cavs alston will be back. No more HEAD!!!!!!!
    AGAINST CAVS, WE WILL HAVE A FULL TEAM.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I like how Adelman talked about that accountable thing. Yeah, it seems only the coach and no on else is accountable for anything.

6. saleem

saleem Member

Von Wafer is listed as day to day.No idea when he is coming back.

7. saleem

saleem Member

I don't think Barry can give us more than 10 mins at the most right now. He can give rest to Brooks. He isn't good enough to give any rest to McGrady,Ron,or Shane IMO,at least not yet.

8. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Damn,hope he's aight and back healthy.he's really a lift off the bench,at least with his return,we ain't see no headless Loser Head. :eek:

9. Classic

Classic Member

wafer was in uniform on the bench last night so maybe we'll see him tonight...

10. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Can we see a fully healthy rotation vs the Cavs :eek: Yes

11. worzel gummidge

mchale was demoted.

12. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

adleman speaks the truth

13. saleem

saleem Member

GM's aren't safe,but the coaches are far more likely to get the sack.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

please let this be the last round of injuries. we really haven't truly see the true potential of the mac-yao combo. please let this team see the light in terms of health.

15. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Did Aldelman say that Luther can handle the ball? That was pretty funny.

16. rocketsmetalspd

Crossing my fingers and lighting a candle to make this come true.

17. Chamillionaire

to be honest, it's nice to see AB getting more burn. he's obviously improved and is a very capable rotational player, but Rafer runs the first team. There's too much chemistry there to mess with.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

First it was AB and Barry combination. Now its Head and Barry. Maybe, just maybe we are seeing the last of rafer.

And Head could handle the ball in RA's eyes :eek: :confused:

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

Why would you say that? Are you thinking Rafer is expendable now or something?

Rafer has proved over and over and over and over why he is valuable to this team. An upgrade to Rafer would be GREAT ...but so would winning the lottery.