1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Astros to explore changing Tal’s Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Oct 27, 2014.

?

Do you like Tal's Hill (and the flagpole)?

Poll closed Aug 23, 2015.
  1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    56.2%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Don't care either way.

21 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I want them to add a trapdoor to Tall's Hill.

1 person likes this.
  2. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I have actually grown fond of it.

Knowing Crance and company, they will probably just replace it with something like this. :mad:

3. theimpossibles1

Instead of spewing your purposeless hate, why not take a cue from all the other posters who give REASONS for their love/hate?

For what it's worth, I like the hill. It gives us personality and only comes into play very rarely.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This might be generational but I loved the brick and sandstone colors and Enron/Minute Maid. I thought it was beautifully crafted and it was really cool the way they incorporated the historic union station. That being said, I only went to a handful of games before the 2000 season. I didn't really get into baseball until I went to that first game against the Yankees when I was 14.

I really hate the current unis. I would like them if they stood for something good but the team only went to the NLCS twice I believe? Then when they added the NLDS they went 3 times in the blue unis and then the 3 playoff teams in pinstripes. We may not have won the World Series but there is a world of difference between the NLDS and the WS.

I'm sure you guys have your iconic memories as an Astros fan. The best one for me was watching at the bottom floor of Jester dorms in college when Jeff Kent hit that home run to give the Astros a 3-2 lead in the NLCS. We went on to lose that series but that was still the best individual moment. People point to the Burke home run but that was at the end of an 18 inning game and didn't really have a moment behind it. I believe they walked Berkman to get to Kent in the 9th after Brandon Backe (I believe) had the best game of his career and Beltran had an amazing catch in the top of the 9th to keep it tied. Then Jeff Kent just bombed it.

I think it's just what you grew up with.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Make it bigger. Love the hill.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I acknowledge that the brick and sand unis brought this team its most successful seasons, and those teams captured the city's hearts/attention almost as much as any Oilers/Rockets/previous Astros teams... and yet I still feel they've done the right thing by going back to the original colors and logos (although I agree they could have left MMP with the green/sand colors... the seats are still green, so the new scheme seems forced).

I also always felt it was dumb to get rid of the H with the star... which started with the mid 90's blue unis.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Now that would be fun

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Horrible idea. We only play 81 home games a year, she would never even get naked.

9. msn

msn Member

Over 40 here... and I loved it, too. For all the reasons you mention and for the nod to classical baseball design (loved the script and pinstripes).

I hated it when Arizona basically ripped off our color scheme, but in retrospect they are in the desert: those colors really make sense for them.

I love the current unis. If one only gauges the quality of history based on championships and/or playoff success, then most cities will have much to be depressed about.

good times! and they'll stick with you forever. Just like Scottie's no-no clincher, Hatcher in Game 6, Nolie's no-hitter, the absolute WAR with Philly in 1980, all stick with me. And, I could go on. :grin::grin:

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fans' interests at heart of Minute Maid Park renovations

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

Tweeted this in my response to Tags...

Astros should do stacked bullpens in right center opening up to the coy course above. Maybe add a balcony overhanging above the upper bullpen to give fans a closeup overhead view of pitchers warming up. Would make for a unique standing room area, while also giving fans in the bullpen boxes and restaurant on either side views on both home & away bullpens. I've always felt 1 mistake with MMP was the isolated location of the visitors bullpen. Hopefully the Astros address this.

As for the vacated space in left. If 5-7 Grill relocates to deep right center (former Ruggles location) it could extend behing batters eye and down to this vacated space. The space itself could either be field suites or another club seating level like the Asperity Diamond Club, but with access to 5-7 Grill food.

Or you could always make the vacate left field space a really large pool + wet bar lol

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

This is better than the Gregerson signing

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Astros aim to keep Minute Maid Park vibrant

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Uhm, yeah... for the record, other than saying, "OK," the Astros had 0.0 to do with the Home Run Alley revamp......

Also, "among others"? There's one "others" - Jimmy Wynn. It features four guys; no one could have jogged down and confirmed the players featured? (Or, you know, emailed someone who might know...?)

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

LOL... I know it man. The Chronicle is terrible.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

14 years and how many injuries?

Keep the hill MMP is awesome just like it is

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, I think it would be more about bringing in the fences to make it less "ridiculous" on some deep fly balls to CF that should be HR's.

But I would rather they just leave it alone. As soon as you start tinkering with the dimensions in ballparks, I've seen teams with an uncanny inability to "stop" tinkering... until the ballpark becomes basically unrecognizable from its original intentions (see the Astrodome).

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I would like to see roaming Giraffes out there, in the field of play.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I kinda like the idea of replicating Tal's Hill outside the park for fans to experience. And while I don't want to see it removed, I'd be ok with it if they use that centerfield space in another unique and tasteful way.