1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron article] Machado’s playmaking ability could provide depth behind Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mirus, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Douglas needs to have more confidence. Looks scared out there.

2. trowa

trowa Member

idk. TD looks better than machodo, right now

3. Mr. Clutch

Do you realize that "idk" could stand for "I DO know"?

4. Arthurprescott2

I think most ppl here are overreacting to a few words Machado has thrown out (too obvious a point?). I like his confidence. There's no need for him to show deference to Lin et al. If Lin was some 12 year vet with an unimpeachably stellar history of success in the league (Kobe, KG, Duncan, etc.) then it'd be one thing, but here - whatever - respect for elders is a very Asian/Eastern thing especially in this context (not much age difference). Merely a cultural difference rather than anything substantive.

5. Mr. Clutch

When will Machado supplant Lin as the starter?

All-Star break or sooner?

6. King Boo

King Boo Member

Why would you say "I DO Know" instead of just "I Know"? lol

Anyways, is anyone else but me not liking this Machado at the 1 and Lin at the 2 business? I really hope this is just to test out other PGs in training camp and won't extend into the regular season.

7. Mr. Clutch

Lin is not a natural 1.

A possible future for him is as a backup 2. The Courtney Lee role.

8. trowa

trowa Member

i wouldnt want that lol

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yeah agreed I don't see the big deal. Anyway Machado is very confident I noticed this from a while, long before Lin was even in the picture. After he went undrafted he declared him self the second best pure point guard in the draft. I do think that he will get humbled this season if he doesn't get much playing time & is sent down to the D-League (likely to happen). That is what happens to all rookies in general. They come in thinking there the big show & are frequently taken down a peg. It's all a part of the process.

10. Arthurprescott2

Lin as 6th man? JJ Barea 2.0? I could totally see that. Manu's made an entire career being that guy (borderline future HOF career btw).

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

I kind of disagree with this notion that he is a scoring PG and I am not the only one that thinks as much. Potential assists is one of the best ways to divy out the scoring pg's from the more traditional pg's & based on that factor he is definitely more of a traditional facilitating pg. Definitely he is a really good scorer but I think everyone has pushed him into that box to the point that his passing ability has become underrated. In regards to his passing he was able to set up his teammates for high % shots. Last year with the Knicks shots got closer to the rim under his tenure. That is just my opinion on the situation feel free to disagree.

12. Mr. Clutch

He does have decent court vision and great penetration skills, which bodes well, but overall I think he tends to overdribble and end up in the "wrong" spots. There was also an article about how his fast-break performance was sub-par.

And there are these comments by Tyson Chandler:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...try-article-1.1176440?localLinksEnabled=false

Overall though, I think he is just fine at PG, but he needs to work on refinement of his floor game. And it's not necessary for him to be a pure PG to be successful. See: Westbrook, Russell.

13. luden

luden Member

Jason Friedman said that based on what he's seen, TDouglas is going to be Lin's back up and Machado should make the team but will most likely spend time in d-league.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

As I said before if you look at advanced statistics one of his most overlooked skills was his ability to set up his teammates for high percentage shots. If you look at the other PG's that are in that list Lin was most comparable to Andre Miller who is nobody's idea of a scoring pg. I never said that you can be a scoring pg and not be successful in the NBA, Rose is a MVP after all. I am just saying that I disagree with this notion that he is a scoring pg although I seem to be in the minority.

And yes his transition play isn't very good but he was very good in the half court. I do agree Lin definitely is still a work in progress anybody that acts like he is a finished product is kidding themselves.

15. King Boo

King Boo Member

Jeremy Lin's assist rate is right in line with some other good starting pgs:
    (assist rate = rate of assists against possessions used)

Deron Williams 36.58%
    Jeremy Lin 36.47%
    Jeff Teague 36.20%
    Stephen Curry 36.16%

So while I agree Lin is best when he's looking to score himself, he's no slouch as a playmaker.

A large portion of Lin's assists also turned into either 3-pointers or shots right at the rim, the most efficient shots. (As a comparison, many of Rondo's assists leading to long-2's is a big knock on him as those are the most inefficient shots in the game.)

16. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

Your pattern is wrong.
    There's a 2008 in there.
    Can you not see?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I find it funny and somewhat annoying that many are quick to notice how well Lin has looked in camp, but if Machado makes a few mistakes, he has been playing terribly. I understand that Lin is the so called face of the team, but you have to give props when they are due. I saw Mach having a few good plays as well.
    Lin fans should show a little class like Lin has been doing.

18. shoops

shoops Member

That's kinda exaggerated isn't it? For the most part not that much criticism has been leveled at Machado, except for his defense. Likewise Lin hasn't been receiving unanimous praise or anything. It's mostly his cockiness that's rubbing some people wrong, as for me I don't mind his confidence too much.

19. King Boo

King Boo Member

You didn't notice all the people counting Lin's turnovers on the Day 2 thread? Saying Lin was a turnover machine, sucked in practice or "looked cocky" (seriously) in those threads?

I've honestly seen minimal to nil criticism of Machado's game ability. Who goes out of their way to criticize the 4th pg on the depth chart? A strawman argument if I've ever seen one.

20. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Nope. Haven't seen that. But you sure were quick to pull the trigger on the Linfan hate.