1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Ariza attempts to tackle slump

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 2, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...(chron.com+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Twitter

2. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

Its his first year being a volume shooter. I know, I know... We have all heard that. As long as the team is winning (and thats really all that matters) I feel like we can afford to have some patience with the guy...

3. rockets_fanatic

We didn't have patience for McGrady.

I think what you mean is as long as he is playing well defensively and affecting the game in other ways, we can be patient with his poor shooting.

4. HookemHorns1250

I may be one of the few that actually really likes Ariza. He plays defense...he's athletic...just needs to realize that he doesn't need to shoot the ball 16 times a game.

I agree with him that he needs to be more agressive and attack the basket instead of settling for jumpers. However, he needs to realize that doesn't mean trying to split a double team. Wait for AB to penetrate, kick it out, and while the defense is shuffling and rotating, then attack the basket.

Even though some say he's slumping, two of his last three games he's been rather close to triple doubles I believe. I'll take that in a slump any day of the week. If he'd just learn to relax, and take better shots, then he'll be just fine.

5. rockets_fanatic

I think most people like Ariza, but we dislike who he is trying to be. Good to read he is finally waking up to himself and looking to attack the basket.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

your reference to HWSNBN is laughable

7. PeppermintCandy

I've noticed this too. Ariza has been putting up decent rebounding and assist numbers the past two weeks.

His season average: 16.1 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists
    The last nine games: 12.3 points 7.2 rebounds 4.7 assists​
    He's also taking slightly fewer shots and getting to the line more.

He may not be shooting well, but he's doing a lot of other things to help the team.

8. rockets_fanatic

YAIL- Your acronym is laughable.

9. caneks

caneks Rookie

That is good. When your shots aren't falling, you need go to the paint.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His ballhandling ability is only marginally better than Shane's. He needs to cut to the basket without the ball most of the time when he needs to get close to it.

Dribbling should be limited to only when there is a clear opening, or when he is in a one on one situation against a relatively weak defender. He needs to take fewer outside shots, but he has to stop worrying about missing them. Easier said than done. Hopefully, he will turn things around with time.

DM and RA are partly to blame. They had unnecessary expectations by hoping he would become a number 1 scoring option.

#10 saleem, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Dude get over it ok? Tmac's gone, gone I say, no matter how much you b**** and complain about it, he is no longer with the team...

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think Ariza will be alright, but I feel he should be playing a little less minutes. Maybe give more to Chase when he comes back.

BTW, when I read the title of the article it should've been:

[Chron] - Ariza Attempts to Tackle Slump; Fans Attempt to Tackle Ariza

13. rockets_fanatic

Are you a nut? I have not complained once, you douce.

I just find it funny people were making excuses for McGrady not being able to get minutes because it will affect us inning games, but with Ariza it is different.

I could also ask people if we got a Butler or Iggy would they only get 7 minutes a game and have to earn playing time?

So yeah, it isn't complaining, just bring up inconsistencies with the majority of posters here.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think Trevor likely missed the tackle and allowed the slump to escape.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Glad to see Rick Adelman coaching him up.

Personally, I don't think Trevor has it in him to be anything more than a 3rd of 4th option, he is just not skilled up enough.

And anything that has him dribbling in traffic is really really scary.....

;)

DD

16. ming2194

ming2194 Member

can he? :cool:

all the bad things are happen on him (missing free throw, wide open shot. only score in dunk :eek: ), say is always easier than do. :cool:

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Has there been a poll yet of who's the more terrifying dribbler between he and Artest? Ariza can give Artest a run for his money. I used to think there was nothing worse than the tunnel vision version of Artest that would put his head down and do the chicken with his head cut off thing but Ariza is no picnic either.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If we ended up getting somebody useful for T-Mac, it will only make Ariza better.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ariza just dribbles standing nearly straight up.....and the ball has a long way to go, he needs to hunch way over...to protect the ball.

I know Morey said they got him locked up at a young age of 24, but he is right now about his career averages...and honestly other than his steals....which is not because of good defensive positioning, but rather very long arms....he has been a major dissappointment.

I honestly believe if you replaced Trevor with Von, or Chase, the team would be better off......

DD

20. rockets_fanatic

I agree with the first point about how he dribbles the ball, however, Ariza was an important part of the Lakers for a reason. He can be an important piece for us, but he is not the main guy.

He is trying to be a piece of steak, but he is just the garnish. You can have a great meal without the steak, but some good garnish makes the meal complete. I hope that makes sense to everyone.