1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Alston's skills earn thumbs up from Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrRolo, Oct 12, 2005.

1. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Point's passes help beat 76ers in preseason opener
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/rssstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3392647

PHILADELPHIA - Rafer Alston was open, not quite 18 feet from the basket, eyes on the rim.

But before a legion of Toronto detractors could sneer and say, "I told you so," the new point guard whom the Rockets have labeled "a pass-first traditional point" slipped the ball to David Wesley, who quickly found Tracy McGrady for a jumper.

A quarter later in Alston's first game with the Rockets on Tuesday, he seemed ready to lose his famous temper.

Allen Iverson had shouted down official Tony Brown until he was given a late foul call. Alston couldn't believe it. But before his detractors could tell each other, "Here he goes ... ," he stopped.

It was far from a perfect debut for Alston, who was acquired last week. But he and the Rockets seemed to grow stronger and steadier throughout the preseason opener, a 105-91 win over the Philadelphia 76ers.

On a night when players were predictably ragged, the only Rockets newcomer in the starting lineup earned one rave.

"He gave me a couple sweet passes today," Rockets center Yao Ming said. "Those passes were on time and on target, like Jeff (Van Gundy) says."

Alston finished with seven points and seven assists and showed a sure hand while running the Rockets' offense.

Back-to-back breakouts
    McGrady lit up the second quarter before calling it a night with 15 points in 20 minutes.

Iverson took over the third quarter before he was done with 23 points in 23 minutes.

"I really didn't have my legs," McGrady said. "The timing is much different in a game from what we do in practice. But when I sensed myself coming out, I tried to get myself going on the offensive end."

McGrady's backup, Derek Anderson, was also effective with 13 points.

The Rockets got big lifts off the bench to blow out the Sixers 23-9 in the fourth quarter.

Forward Juwan Howard came back from last season's knee injury and heart condition as if he never left, scoring 10 points with seven rebounds.

His former Fab Five teammate, Chris Webber, sat out for the 76ers with a thigh injury.

Stromile Swift was a last-minute scratch with a bruised right forearm. But Lonny Baxter was active and effective, getting eight points and nine rebounds.

"He did many things," Van Gundy said. "Good plays. Turnovers (five). Fouls (five). But some good plays, too."

Rookie Luther Head went from third-quarter jitters to the fourth quarter's answer to Iverson, scoring nine of his 13 points in the final 12 minutes.

"He shot every time," Van Gundy said. "(He) might want to mix in a pass or two, but he did all right."

Alston, meanwhile, took his first step toward taking over the point.

"It's a little different," he said. "I have to familiarize myself with a lot of new things and what Van Gundy likes me to do. I have to pick up a little more on defense."

Alston also bit his tongue in time to avoid trouble.

Van Gundy cautious
    "He's got to be a little bit more emotionally stable when he doesn't get the call he wants," Van Gundy said. "I think he was fine, but if that was a regular-season game or a playoff game, maybe he has a different reaction. He's got to be very intense and also stay in emotional control. But I like the way he plays."

Others north of the border might argue. But for now, Alston kept his head and gave up the ball, which was just what the Rockets wanted.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

damn...VG joking around already?:eek:

that crack about Baxter...adn then the one about Luther?

could this indeed be a new Van Gundy we are seeing this year?

Bill and Bull mentioned that he is even taking it easier on the team during camp...

btw...Luther had some really sweet passes...and Baxter was a bull in the paint...I think they will both help make us a damn deep team this year.

3. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

truth is, jvg isn't joking at all, i don't think. he's just a straight-up straight shooter, tells it like it is. won't compliment a player if he doesn't deserve it, and will call out his mistakes.

4. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

yeah thats kinda jacked up that they both (Alston, and Head) played really well in their debuts and JVG still finds a way to criticize them.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

if he isnt joking...he is making liberal use of hyperbole.

cause I personally saw Head make several great passes...so it isnt correct to say he shot it everytime he had it.

ok..maybe the line about Baxter cant be taken as a joke....it just was funny in the way he phrased it...lumping in fouls and turnovers with good plays.

6. superden

superden Contributing Member

surprised? nope. that's van gundy

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Uhh.. okay? JVG said Alston has to control his emotions better. Truth? Yes.

He said Head shot a lot. Truth? Yes.

Head played a great game, but I noticed too it seemed like he was attacking anytime he got the ball, and not necesarily running the offense.

JVG's a straight shooter, and I love him for it. :)

8. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

But we need him to be a <b>Rocket</b>. :p

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

head made some great passes. JVG (who sees everything when studying the tape) will notice or already did notice.

head played the 2 last night. what i really liked about him was when he was playing with the rotation players he seemed to pass much more (only taking one drive for a shot in the 3rd). when the 4th came and he was playing with baxter, langford, moochie, and the other big guy, he realized that he was the best player on the court and stepped up to take over as such. great leadership.

JVG comments about passing might also mean that he knows he's on the team so pass the ball so some guys who are trying to make the cut.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I thought Alston played a near perfect game for his debut, he might have passed up a couple of shots that he'll need to take during the season.

As far as Head, I thought he was unbelievable, he took a lot of shots but they were also wide open. JVG must have been drooling inside with the defensive intensity Luther was showing.

11. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Reading all of this stuff makes me want to watch the game again... what the... i want to watch a PRESEASON game AGAIN?!?! :confused:

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Head was in there with Mooch if I recall for a lot - Mooch was the point, Head was usually the SG in the small ball lineup that was thrown out there.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was freaking out when I saw him do this because it's exactly what he didn't do in the summer league. Maybe he was trying to defer to other guys trying to make the team, but when you're the best player on the floor for your team, you've got to take charge. Head in the summer leagues was passive and was always giving up the ball. His shot wasn't falling either. Head in his first pre-season game was aggressive and attacking. I also like the fact that he's Mobley-like in that he's great running around without the ball - always in motion. I was hoping to see him on the break more because he's always out ahead of the pack.

14. drewpy

drewpy Member

something i noticed from skip that i havent seen from a rocket in a while is that when he did not have the ball he was still busting his ass. it reminded me of the way reggie miller moved without the ball.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I saw Skip make a perfect inlet pass to TMac in the post. TMac was posting up near the baseline, then turned and cut to the basket. Just as he did that, Skip dropped the ball into him and lead him perfectly to the hole just like a QB leads a receiver. What happened? TMac got the easy bucket and a foul.

It was funny, I stood up and yelled "oh yeah, Moochie!!" because I thought it was him that made the pass. But alas, it wasn't. I'm still getting the player numbers straight. :D

16. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

Im sure this game..has proves the doubters wrong (im one of them)..at first i was very skeptical about this trade..but much to my delight..rafer fits in PERFECTLY...his D wasnt too shabby too.. :D

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

EXACTLY who i've been comparing him to. remember when cat was a rookie he was considered a defense first combo guard who can hit the 3. very similar to head. head, however, has good passing ability and a high BBall IQ, and might actually end up as a PG.

18. Man

Man Contributing Member

Alston's a baller!

I only watched first quarter, but he is a good creator..he can pass and handle the ball. He can score for himself. He can run..and pretty good defender. Good point guard for our team.

He turned the ball over a few times ..like tried no look pass from corner to left wing..but intercepted. But he will limit the bad actions soon.