1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] After talk with JVG, "T-Mac" is back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Dec 4, 2004.

1. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

No, the difference would be we would be Orlando with Tmac plus Yao. Big Difference.

Let Tmac shoot; 25, 30, heck shoot 50 for all I care. We have to try this to see if it works.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Exactly. The coach should be the one to initiate the talks.

Also, Tmac is going to say he "believes" in Van Gundys system for right now. He doesn't want the blame of getting another coach fired.

3. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Boozer would be a better fit for the new role designed by
    clutchfans for Yao. He's a much better rebounder and
    garbageman.

How about
    Yao for Boozer + Arroyo

Both team will get their needs. Jazz gets "potential". Rox gets
    the guy to complement TMac and solidifies the PG spot. That
    makes an excellent run-and-gun team. Plus we don't need to
    worry about maxing Yao to cripple the Franchise, although Les
    may lose some sponsor $.

#23 snowmt01, Dec 4, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

It was a great thing to see the real McGrady. I was tired of seeing the JVG version.

You could tell he was so tenetive to be himself out there and he just needed be unleashed. It's going to be great if Yao can contribute just a bit more and JJ will stop shooting a bit. Sura has really helped the team in the minimal time he has played as well.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

With McGrady, at least there is precident. The guy CAN lead the league in scoring. He CAN take over a game single-handedly.

Given that he looked tentative up until the Dallas game, I have a tendency to believe that this will help him unlike stories with Steve or Yao previously, because they never really were able to do the things T-Mac has done on a consistent basis.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

JCg never let folx off the leash
    not his job is looking shaky. . . we is
    doing. . . like i predicted. . what we on here
    have said for a while

loosening up some

hopefully

Rocket River

7. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

if we let tmac handle the game and be 1st option, this will be an orlando team plus yao ming plus jvg's defense plus mo and jj and basically the same scrubs

so ... is this a good thing or a bad thing?

8. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

How about "Orlando with Tmac plus Cato"?

9. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Second that.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, since he can't unleash Yao to be free, he had to let go of someone.

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think Yao needs to go have that talk with JVG as well and then slowly have a mutiny and tell him it's our way or the high way baldy.

12. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

I don't think Utah would trade Boozer straight up for Yao.
    Here are Boozer's numbers-

Age- 23
    Pts- 20.8
    Reb- 9.9
    FG%- .535
    FT%- .814

I thought the Yao for Peja+Miller would've help our team but that's just fantasy because I don't think we're trading Yao. And Boozer is anything but a 'garbageman' unless 'garbageman' is slang for extremely good player.

Come again.:confused:

Are you trying to say that Yao will turn into a Cato-like player on this team if we centered the offense around Tmac or are you trying to say Cato and Yao are pretty much the same, talent wise?

I disagree on both counts. If Tmac is the main focus on our offensive schemes then Yao and our team will improve significantly.

13. hangxy

hangxy Member

It just make JVG appear so incapable.It's coach's job to take advantage of the player's strength to the fullest. You cannot just say"Go, do it your way."
    Maybe the record of ROX would be better without coach.

14. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

It's about freaking time Van Gundy!!!!! I guess when your job is likely on the line you have to change your hardheaded undying loyalty to your crappy system of offense. His defense is great but pathethic on offense. He makes those shawn Kemp Cleveland Caveliers team look like the Kings of the past few years. I hope T-mac will be the #1 option until Yao can become tougher mentally and physically.

This is funny b/c Stevie said the exact same thing last season and was critized and scoffed at for not being a "team player" and not getting along with van gundy. Yet T-mac says it and he is hailed a hero. I like T-mac and yeah was dissappointed at first with the trade but I feel Steve was done wrong by the FANS, MEDIA (especially Rich Lord and Mark Van Der meer), JVG

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If JVG can get his head out of his *** and realize that T-Mac should be the first option on offense, then the team can succeed. Yao is a great complimentary star, but being Option #1 draws triple-teams; watching the opposing team work him over like sharks on a dead whale, while the refs look the other way, is quite painful.

Let T-Mac, Sura, and JJ swarm like killer bees (another bad analogy; I'm on a roll). Yao can still get his 17 and 10 in such a "system."

But either Mo or Juwan must go, along with whomever. Point guard or small forward, whichever we can get, one that doesn't suck.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Rivaldo,

Vandameer hates Steve so much it isn't even funny but that would be fine if he wasn't a freakin apologist for every star in this city. Call the show and criticize David Carr and he gets upset. When the Rockets won game three of the playoffs he was criticizing Steve for celebrating. I emailed him and called him a hypocrite because because he never ever criticized Carr for jumping in the stands. He wrote back saying some b.s. like Carr's celebration is more natural.

Then the guy said Bibby was a better player. I emailed him and asked how did Bibby do when he was in Vancouver and wrote Bibby could never carry a team like Steve. He said on air that Bibby had nothing to work with. Now he's saying T-Mac and Yao have nothing to work with but believe me, if Steve was still the star on this team Vandameer would make sure you knew the problems start with him.

17. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I think the most frustrating thing about Steve is that he NEVER improved. He's been the same player since his first year in the league and still makes the same boneheaded turnovers (many b/c he just wants to be flashy) and doesn't seem to think it's a big deal...like it's just part of 'my game'.
    Steve's insisting that he's a point guard and not a shooting guard finally changed last year when he said he'd move to the 2 if he had to...hell, that only took, what, 4 years for him to figure out?
    Look at this stats in Orlando, he's the same player, and WORSE when it comes to A/T ratio and defense...and he's playing in 'his' system where he's suppose to be more comfortable with. Ouch.

Well, he's winning, and that's more than we can say, still, Rocket Fans gave Steve props for 3-4 years, but when nothing changed and he didn't improve or become more consistent it was crushing and frustrating as hell to watch.

Can you name the last franchise player that could not make himself better than his rookie year? I don't know, maybe I'm desensitized to Steve because I've seen him do so much better than he's done now and in the past 3 years.

18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

iF Gundy gave TMac free reign to do whatever ...

is that an admission of ole man Grumpy's ... desperation,
    and/or his bankrupt offensive "system",
    or none of the previous ...
    JVG's just working his "magic"?

what is Gundy trying to convey with this?
    "If it helped him" - 'ole Grumpy, THATS YOUR JOB!
    find the things that ail your players, give, at the very least an appearance that you're on the dam* job.

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

"I think the most frustrating thing about Steve is that he NEVER improved."

aint it way past time to put away crap posts like this?

we've got a new cast of characters, our Rocks go on ....

get over Steve already!

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

i'm ok with Mark
    but he is the Official Apologist for the Texans
    and
    knows very little IMO about basketball

and yea. . . he hates Steve and it pains him
    to talk about the Rockets

but then again that is most of 610
    If it ain't Texans and Astros
    they hate to talk about it