1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chron] Adelman: "Someone is not going to play."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Oct 21, 2007.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why do I keep hearing this from fans, and something different from the coaches?

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

If Rafer was playing for an opposition people would be screaming about his hacking. The guy has active hands but...

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Partly because according to this BBS, Rafer is a bigger albatross than GW Bush, David Carr, Tim Purpura, and Charley Casserly put together.

Rafer's a good team defender (good at snatching steals from the passing lane) but doesn't lock individuals down. Mike James is the opposite - and gets his competitive juices going with the thought of making a bigger named guard look bad. Cat was the same way - he lived for going after Kobe.

Evan

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

cept for when kobe dropped 30 on him. don't get me wrong, I loved cat, but I also remember him joking about that happening, saying he just had to avoid looking up at the scoreboard.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Because fans tell the truth, coaches have agendas.

DD

6. abcdef

abcdef Member

That's assuming the fans have the ability to discern the basketball truth about a player.... but if they could do so as well as a coach or scout why wouldn't they be in the business?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We agree on this one. For obvious reasons, neither JVG nor Adelman is going to criticize Rafer's deficiencies. It's isn't hard to figure out. JVG's public statements were as agenda-driven as any coach I've heard. Adelman doesn't want add any gasoline to Rafer's fire.

It's called "coachspeak".

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think that's exactly opposite of the truth.

9. krockets

krockets Member

I expect the starting five by mid season would be:

Yao/Scola/Battier/Tmac/M James

10. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I'm sure the coaches agenda is something other then winning :rolleyes: , unless your Larry Brown. People who are thinking Rafer is getting starters minutes with the first unit, so we can build up his trade value are morons. During the season the team does not practice much. Training camp and the preseason is where all the plays and system is going to be installed. You think RA is going to give those valuable starter minutes to Rafer so he can be showcased? RA is giving rafer all the minutes because he thinks Rafer is the best choice to start with Yao and Tmac, not so he can help Morey with a trade that is most likely never going to happen.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

fans tell the truth huh? and they dont have agendas?

wow.

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

Don't forget Luther Head's excercise in futility shooting the rock during the playoffs. :(

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I haven't. He and Juwan were beyond awful. We put 7 bodies out there during the series but only 3 were breathing.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't agree with this at all. Responsibility has to be shared for the loss by the full roster, including Yao and McGrady. No one played up to the standards they set in the regular season.

You said that Chuck's offense was a liability and was key to Utah's defensive approach. You know, I could say the exact same thing about Yao's defense being key to Utah's offensive approach. Do you think Chuck's lack of offense had a bigger negative impact than Yao's inability to matchup with Boozer or Okur?

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

what exactly did you expect yao to do when matched up against boozer? that's like asking shaq to guard shawn marion. the truth is utah causes matchup problems for everyone, because okur plays like a small forward out on the perimeter even though he's a center -- and boozer is a freaking beast. the shots he made versus us were just outrageous.

ya, yao didn't play up to his abilities (hi, he was hurt)...but it definitely was not his / tracy / shane's fault we lost. at least they were able to score in all of the games, that's more than I can say for literally everyone else on the roster except alston.

16. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yao wouldn't be able to guard any of their big men b/c their big men are versatile. that's why having scola last year would have helped.

again, i blame the offense more for our loss. tmac and yao didn't play to their standards. the role players didn't even suit up.

17. AGBee

AGBee Member

Durr.....yeah Yao and McGrady should've combined for 90 points every game. Then we'd have had a chance!

18. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

though the responsibilities of tmac and yao were higher than boozer, but boozer was "perceived" to be the best player in that series b/c of how he played.

if tmac or yao is not the best player in the series, particularly tracy, then i'm HUGELY disappointed. unless you're going against duncan or kobe, those 2 guys should DOMINATE their position with ease. i expect that this year. tmac was just vastly inconsistent last yr. yao was just in the post too damn much and too predictable. adelman will change that.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe the weaknesses of Hayes and Alston's offensive game had something to do with the offensive game planning?

Adelman raved about Hayes's passing skills, which were never used in previous years. Rafer is good at hitting moving targets (I'm talking about passing, not shooting ;) ), which seldom existed in previous years.

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

exactly, hayes and alston were liabilities (hayes did nothing except set screens or grab off. rebounds and alston just shoot open 3s) b/c of the way JVG used them.

w/ adelman, hayes will be used in the high post at times to tell his man that he's not just there to be there. u have to guard him. scola will even make it better b/c he is an actually an ofefnsive player. alston will actually move a lil bit and not just stand at the 3pt line.

what people don't understand is JVG's offense is simply 2 things: either tmac create or yao down low. that's it. the rest did jack enough to put fear into the opponent.

now w/ adelman, u see scola/hayes/yao in the high post, u see some plays running for battier not just in the post and so on...

adelman will elevate us to another level by simply making us more creative and unpredictable on offense. our defense is not the problem, even WITHOUT JVG. we have great defensive players. we're going to be top 3-5 this year on defense too.

JVG wasted a few yrs in this combo (05-06 was not his fault b/c of injuries)