1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Adelman intensifies preparation for opener

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox_fan_here, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7253137.html

Top priority is setting lineup with, without Yao
    By JOSEPH DUARTE
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    Oct. 19, 2010, 12:15AM

The Rockets went back to work Monday still trying to reset their biological clocks after a week-long trip to China.

For a team that has been on the go most of the preseason, they won't have much time to rest.

The Rockets open the regular season exactly one week from today — Oct. 26 at the Los Angeles Lakers. Before then, they will practice twice at Toyota Center before leaving - again - for the final two preseason games against San Antonio on Thursday and Dallas on Friday.

"You're never going to be right there at the start of the season, but we are certainly making progress," coach Rick Adelman said.

Adelman has a list of things the Rockets need to accomplish entering the final week of preparations. First and foremost, Adelman and his staff must decide on what player rotations work best given the limitations on playing time for Yao Ming.

The Rockets will bump Yao's time on the court to 24 minutes this week - the maximum per game prescribed by team doctors to limit the stress on his surgically repaired left foot.

The challenge will be finding the right combination of players - when Yao is or isn't on the court - while not sacrificing anything offensively, Adelman said. The time constraints with Yao will be tested early with the Rockets playing consecutive nights against the Lakers and Golden State Warriors to begin the season.

"We're trying to figure out our rotation, find out what we can do with each group," Adelman said. "I think we're making progress, and that's what we have to do."

How will the Rockets divide up Yao's 24 minutes? When the star center is on the floor, who does he play with? And when Yao isn't on the floor, which players play best together?

"We have to play our game whether (Yao) is on the court or not," Adelman said. "We have to find a way to incorporate him. Our guys have to play the way we're asking them to play. We're making some strides, but we're a long ways from getting there. But we certainly have the ability to make that transition when he's on and off the floor."

Yao said his foot has held up well in the five preseason games he has played.

"It's still under control," he said. "We're making progress every day. So far my foot has responded well."

Miller working into role
    Of all the souvenirs the Rockets may have brought back from China, the biggest might be center Brad Miller, who saw his first action of the preseason after being sidelined by an ankle injury. Miller, who was signed to be the primary backup to Yao, had 11 points in 26 minutes during Sunday's victory over the New Jersey Nets.

Miller, along with Jordan Hill, is being counted on to pick up the slack when Yao is not in the lineup or doesn't play in the second part of back-to-back games.

"I probably played (Miller) longer than I wanted to in the one game he played," Adelman said. "His ankle is fine. He needed the work for his conditioning."

During the final week of the preseason, Adelman said he would like to see more consistency on defense.

"We've gotten better in that area," he said. "We'll continue to work on that."

Time to begin pushing
    The Rockets did take care of some final housekeeping Monday by waiving four players - guard Antonio Anderson, forward Mike Harris, forward Alexander Johnson and guard Jerel McNeal - to get down to the 15-player roster limit.

And with the roster at full strength, the Rockets will place an emphasis on getting the ball up and down the court.

"We need to push the ball better," forward Shane Battier said. "We have an athletic team, but if we don't push the ball and run we're wasting that talent we have."

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Man I hope we beat the lakers opening nite!

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's an ironic statement, coming from Battier.

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Now, why must we face the Fakeshow on opening night? Didn't we have to go against them on opening night just a year or two ago, when Shane drained that 3 in Kobe's eye?

Let us have the Pacers or something.

F that, bring on the Pee and Purple. :)

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Didnt see the put back dunk?

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think we've got the Lakers beat this season. ;)

7. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

One more week!!!

This has by far been the longest off-season ever

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Fixed

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He made the dunk, didn't he?

10. parmesh

parmesh Member

It was actually a pretty sweet play. He made it. o_O

11. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

WTF? He made it...

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yep - I am a Battier fan, but to be honest, I was surprised he did that. Would love for him to do that kind of stuff at least a bit more often.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

After Lakers are presented their championship rings they will come out and attempt to reprsent as champions but I really don't believe they will beat the Rockets. I think the Rockets will be more prepared and will generally outplay the Lakers on opening night. We have a deep team the Lakers do as well but I think we have better chemistry and our guys have more grit. Kobe will try to take it easy too with his knee being 60% healed. Bynum will be out. I see us winning this game 103-90.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe he'll have his legs under him this year. The guy was hurt a large part of last year. Heck, probably the entire season. A trip for me today was realizing Shane's a few months younger than Kobe Bryant. Maybe he can get back half of that step he lost.