1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Adelman dissatisfied with defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I beg to differ. DeAndre Jordan looks just as unpolished as Kwame Brown plus it was a 2nd round pick anyway...

What bugs me most is that we could've drafted Ronnie Brewer with that lotto pick. You don't like Gay as he doesn't play defense and is a ballhog, that's fine. But Brewer was a great fit. He's a good defender, and unlike Shane, he moves extremely well without the ball and always looks to attack the basket with his size and athleticism. Dude provides offense, which is what has been hindered us from advancing in the playoffs these past years.

Maybe that was JVG's call. Either way, Trevor Ariza probably wouldn't have been on our team if that had never happened. So I guess it's better late than ever.

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I totally feel similar sentiments with the extremely bad handling of the 2006 draft situation...however...you say Brewer provides offense???!! Which Ronnie have you been watchin??? Thats totally not what the dude is known to excell at...He is probably the 4th or 5th offensive option on his team with stacked offensive players such as Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams...and shooting 20something percent from the 3 doesn't exactly make you a big scoring threat for a perimetre player...however he a tremendous defender and would have been much better than Battier...I'll just have to guess that van Gundy had a huge fetish for Battier and we'd have even traded LaMarcus Aldridge for him if we happened to have drafted him at our pick.

And it shouldn't be Trevor Ariza that woudn't be here now...it would be SHANE BATTIER.

3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Fellas, Fellas.....please....

...let's not start in on Shane Battier now, okay?
    Battier's a good player. A very good player, in fact. And no team can have too many good players, whether they're specialsts or not.

But the circumstances by which he became a Rocket aren't his fault. And neither are the straits his acquisition left the team in for a couple of seasons.

Battier alone wasn't worth a top-ten lottery pick. I don't care how thin or weak the lottery that season may have been in hindsight. The Rockets traded away two players to get Battier. Two-fer or Three-fer trades in the league means that you intend to get the best player in that exchange. the jury's still out on that, but it seems that the Rockets may have at least broken even, for the time being anyway.

But the problem was the same one the Rockets had when they traded for McGrady a season earlier—depleted, quality roster depth. Battier is a professed one-trick pony. He says he'll do what the team needs him to do, as long as it doesn't involve scoring points.

Battier can get away with that, because he's such a sweetheart. But at any rate, the team still needed some quality depth from some place if they wanted to field a championship team.

The goal of building any team is to acquire as much depth as you can.

It's good to see a coach and a GM who not only understand that and offer it lip service....but are committed to it.....

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

He ought to pack his bags and head over to the Texans practice facility. They need a physical strong safety with a mean streak. While he's there Mario Williams can explain to him about playing the Dline with the same injury his rookie season.

Harmony at last.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Adelman says the defense is bad.

Morey should have kept Tom Thibodeau.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt Dorsey is more than a body out there for us. Huge disappointment even when healthy.

7. HPD

HPD Member

interior defense defensive rebounding is a reason Y this Rockets team will not be in the playoffs.... unless Tmac can comeback and be something.

8. NBAok

NBAok Member

i think it was the 1998 finals in game 3 were the bulls won by 40.<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Skj6jh17fOI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Skj6jh17fOI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Thanks, NBAok!

Never let it be said that I couldn't take it when I'm wrong.....

10. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I don't think anyone has ever said Adelman "doesn't care" about defense. You're confusing him with D'Antoni probably.

I do think we'd be better defensively with JVG/Thibs. For one thing, you can guarantee that Hayes would've gotten more playing time and pretty much zero DNP-CDs.