1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Adelman dissatisfied with defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Oct 2, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Shouldve drafted D. Jordan.

2. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

This is a problem. I have had plantar faciitis in both feet and it is difficult to get rid of. It is an overuse injury and if he is having problems at the beginning of camp, it is not likely to get better during the season.

3. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Add Blair and Meeks to the lest please.

4. A bezzy

A bezzy Member

Hayes, battier, ariza, scola, lowry are all Good TEAM defensive players. I believe that when the pace picks up on offense it will affect the defenseive side of the ball. Sounds to me like adelman jst wants to make sure that they know... defense is what will get them to the playoffs. we will be fine.

5. amaru

amaru Member

Dorsey won't be able to contribute a damn thing to the team this season........again.

Wasted draft pick

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I guess nothing new. Usually 2nd rounders are not going to pan out at all.

7. amaru

amaru Member

True.......sometimes I wonder what the Rockets staff still see's in Dorsey. He's 27 (or almost there)....if he isn't ready for the NBA by now, then he'll never get there.

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Shows Morey isn't exactly a supergenius that we all make him out to be...

although I still haven't given up on Joey yet......hes barely got an opportunity to show what hes capable of...and...in this case...age doesnt need to be a big concern at all! Jamario Moon landed in the NBA at the ripe old age of 27........

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Supergeniuses don't necessarily bat 1.000, just higher than everyone else. If everyone's draft picks at Dorsey's slot pans out 50% of the time and Morey's pan out 60% of the time, he is still a supergenius.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. morey has done so much good, that you can let one second round pick be a flop. it's a lot better than most, if not all other gm's.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He is only 25.

12. BetterThanEver

Don't forget Rudy Gay. :( Oh yeah, we did draft him.

13. verse

verse Contributing Member

Hmm. Who'da thunk it? With no one to patrol the paint, our defense is suffering. What a shocker!

Blair was available to us as at least a post bruiser with (VERY good) low post offense. D'Andre Jordan, as well. I guess we're trying to inflate our players offensive stats in hopes that we can trade them for another superstar next year. Woohoo.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i concur as well.....i've had the same issue off and on for the past 9 years.....there is nothing you can really do other than rest it and wait.....and over an 82 game haul it's really hard to imagine it not cropping up and becoming a problem.....luckily for us though dorsey doesn't really have the talent or skills to be in our rotation for 82 games anyways ;)

15. BetterThanEver

Or Morey's plan is to suck really bad and draft Nigerian center Solomon Alabi to be the next Hakeem the Dream.

HAHAHAHA.

yeah right. Like that's gonna work. :(

16. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

LOL DeAndre Jordan? The Aggie that was called "immature" by his own college coach? No thanks. I'd rather takes Hayes, thanks.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Are we past the ridiculous claims that Adelman doesn't care about defense, and that the Rocket defense is still only good b/c of VG, or are those posters just not around right now?

18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Well, TheFreak....

...we can only hope so.

But this is an interesting situation for me to look at for the upcoming season.

The Rockets have firmly established themselves as a defensive basketball team over the past few seasons. And say whatever you want about Shane Battier, but Yao Ming has been the player most responsible for that consistency.

Ideally in the pros, you'd love to have an athletic big man protecting the basket and gathering up defensive rebounds for you. It makes the guys on the perimeter's jobs easier if they've got a goalie playing behind them.

Doesn't always work out that way. But defense is about work and effort and positioning and teamwork. so I don't doubt that the Rockets will be better defensively than most of us would believe without Yao or Dikembe Mutumbo.

If you remember the Chicago Bulls of the mid to late '90s, TheFreak, they never really had a center (or any big man, really) that was a defensive presence. I was surprised that the Bulls actually got a pulse out of Luc Longley and Bill Wennington for as long as they did.

They had four players—Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Ron Harper and Dennis Rodman—who were are relatively the same size, with long arms and active hands—and they formed a perimeter defense that virtually eliminated passing lanes and transition baskets for their opponents.

The Rockets do have some personnel who could mimic that type of defense, in my opinion, The Freak.

Make no mistake—three of those four Bulls defenders were perennial All-NBA defenders for years. And Dennis Rodman is a hall-of-fame caliber defender, particularly for a guy playing power forward at 6'8", white wedding dress or no white wedding dress. And the Rockets would be hard-pressed to match those guys player-for-player.

But I could envision a good defense with Shane Battier, Chuck Hayes, Trevor Ariza and Tracy McGrady after the Bulls' mold. And before anybody starts, McGrady is a decent defender. He would certainly have to be more active than he has been in the recent past, but it's not beyond him if he's healthy.

Of course, Rick Adelman also would like a team that could score on the court from time to time, too. Those Bulls excelled in transition (particularly Pippen and Jordan), and could turn their stifling defense into easy offense. The definition of their defensive prowess was game 4 of the 1997 NBA Finals, if you're interested, TheFreak (The Utah Jazz barely managed to score 50 points for the entire game).

Rick Adelman is a terrific coach, and he knows you need good offense and good defense to win in this league. The teams he's coached that have had a lot of success (Portland and Sacramento) have the offensive recognition, but not the defensive notoriety. Adelman knows that, almost as important as finding ways to score, is playing good enough defense to give yourself a chance to win every night.

I love that Adelman sees this (no Yao or McGrady, at least early on in McGrady's case) as an opportunity for the team to improve, TheFreak.

I. for one, can't wait to see what happens.....

1 person likes this.
  19. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Yeah, all the great coaches know that. Kudos to Les and Morey for getting rid of the defense-is-all-you-need JVG.

20. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

i am dissatisfied with UH's defense today.