1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] 610 still rules over 790

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, May 8, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Member

TV-RADIO NOTEBOOK
    KILT still rules locally, but KBME making noise

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

KILT (610 AM) continues to lead KBME (790 AM) in the battle for the hearts and ears of Houston sports fans, but the size of KILT's lead depends on whether you prefer old or new technology.

In the most general measurement reported by Arbitron, persons 12 and over daily from 6 a.m. to midnight, KILT had a 1.6 share to 0.5 for KBME for the January-March winter ratings book. KILT ranked 22nd and KBME was 31st among all stations. Among AM stations, they were third and eighth, respectively.

As always, the critical demographic for all-sports stations is men 25-54. KILT also won that battle handily.

•Morning drive: From 6 to 10 a.m., John Granato and Lance Zierlein had a 4.2 share on KILT, fourth-best in the market, down from 5.1 for the fall book but up from 3.7 a year ago. KBME's lineup of Mike Greenburg/Mike Golic and Colin Cowherd rated 1.1, up from 0.8 last winter and last fall.

•Midday: From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., KILT had a 4.7 share for its combination of Granato and Zierlein, Jim Rome and Rich Lord/Marc Vandermeer. That was up from 3.7 for October-December and from 3.5 from winter 2005. KBME had a 1.6 share for Cowherd's final hour plus the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN.

•Afternoon drive: From 3 to 7 p.m., Lord and Vandermeer (plus the first hour of Matt Jackson and Adam Wexler) were sixth in the market at 4.3, down from 4.8 for the fall book but up from 3.0 a year ago. KBME had a 1.7 share for Charlie Pallilo, down from 2.8 for the fall but up from 1.5 a year ago.

•Evenings: From 7 p.m. to midnight, which includes Jackson and Wexler for three hours followed by Sporting News Radio, KILT had a 2.2 share, down from 3.1 for the winter 2005 book and from 3.4 for last fall. KBME had a 0.2 rating for SportsBeat and ESPN Radio.

Bill Van Rysdam, KILT's director of programming, said he is pleased with the year-to-year increase in listeners.

"There has been a lot of excitement about the Texans and the Astros being in the World Series," he said. "That helped us."

While KILT continues to dominate in the traditional diaries used by Arbitron for the numbers cited above, Ken Charles, regional vice president for KBME and Clear Channel's Houston stations, said the race gets tighter when examining data from Arbitron's new people meters.

According to the electronic meters, Charles said, the cumulative number of listeners in morning drive during March totaled 60,000 for KILT and 31,000 for KBME. February numbers were 56,000 for KILT and 38,000 for KBME.

In afternoon drive, KILT's cume lead, according to the people meters, was 84,000 to 50,000 for KILT. In February, KILT led 80,000 to 67,000.

"KBME continued to grow and evolve, and adding a morning show will continue that evolution," Charles said.

Chronicle Link

2. A-Train

A-Train Member

Of course, being the best sports talk show in Houston is like winning the Northwest Division in the NBA...

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I am so ready for 790 to get a local morning show.

QUIT COUGHING INTO THE MIC!!!! :mad:

:)

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

"That's completely uncalled for, Burgundy. You know those rating systems are flawed. They don't take in account houses that have... uh... more than two television sets... and other things of that nature."

:D

5. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I personally enjoy 790 much more.

6. Faos

Faos Member

How can 790 call themselves ESPN 790 when they have FOX programming late at night?

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

don't they mention fox in their promos, at least they used to.

8. dskillz

dskillz Member

I like 610, but I think that there probably should be less callers on all the shows. You can only take so much stupidity on your radio. Matt's show is geared more towards entertainment, that is where all the shows need to go, IMO.

Charlie really NEEDS a co-host. All that nerdiness and stat talk needs to be balanced out with someone with a personality.

9. The Real Shady

I agree. Charlie needs someone to have cross arguements with. That's when I enjoyed him the best on 610.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I used to listen to 610 exclusively...now I listen to 790 exclusively, not because I got tired of 610, but my schedule changed. In the past, I was commuting to and from work at 7-8 am, and leaving work at around 8 pm. So I listened to the morning guys and Matt & Adam each way. I enjoy those shows. Now I leave for work at 5am, and head for home at 5pm. The result is that 610 doesn't have anyone worth listening to on at 5am, and at 5pm, I would always prefer Pallilo, even by himself, to Rich and Mark, who are unbearable. Mike and Mike isn't exactly a great show (those national shows always have their own biases towards teams and that annoys me), but it is better than the fishing hour or whatever 610 has on at 5am.

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

I listen to 610 during my drive to work and 790 on the way home.

Mark and Rich always talk football - its like that is the only thing they know so they just stick to it. I got SO SICK and tired of hearing Rich cry and whine about Vince Young - it was freaking pathetic really. Their schtick is old and boring, and they just seem like 2 bitter old men sitting behind microphones. Time for a change......

Charlie knows his **** and carries himself well. I think he does a great job on his own, but could use a side guy from time to time. I just think his sports knowledge is unsurpassed.

610 sucks on the afternoon drive......

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this morning was a classic example of what can go wrong with the morning show. they were having a discussion on wilt vs. russell which was interesting. but the problem with lance, and overall I like lance he's a nice guy, but he wasn't informed enough to be dropping the opinion that he had that people are unfair to wilt because he didn't win as much as russell, and people kind of over value russell, and he talked about how loaded the celtics were.

anyone who has looked at those two guys careers knows that wilt played on some loaded teams himself. I don't blame them for not being experts, but when you're not an expert, don't be so adamant.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I loved the riveting, cough, interview with the Vermont cough Teddy Bear cough guy. Good sports talk, right there.

14. MadMax

MadMax Member

weren't they looking at one year in particular, though? the year that wilt grabbed 55 boards against russell? that's how i understood it.

and truth be told, wilt never played on teams with the success that russell did. russell gets held up in huge regard because of rings...and rightfully so. but it's sorta overplayed considering they played in a league with 10 teams or so and his team was loaded with talent.

15. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

Lets talk for a minute about goin' dish!

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm gonna find a thread from the nba forum that had some good info on this subject. believe me, its not that simple. and when I say wilt played on some loaded teams, I'm also talking about his laker days.

but even more so, my point was they were clearly out of their element in that conversation, which is fine, I don't expect them to be experts in everything. but when you're out of your element, don't be so opinionated.

17. emjohn

emjohn Member

Mike & Mike cream any of our local ass clowns. 610, and Lance in particular is just a bunch of salad-eating glad-handers. No, the other kind of salad.

And Wilt vs Bill...Bill didn't have the dominating size or offensive prowess, but he didn't have to be smacked around by his coaches to give a sh*t. Wilt only got two rings because he could care less about wins.

Evan

18. MadMax

MadMax Member

Mike & Mike is a joke. I tuned in this morning during a 610 commercial break to hear Golic tell us all how the Mets may get the Astros to sign Clemens and then trade him to them. Yeah.

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I would like Mike & Mike if they talked faster and louder about a bunch of crap.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy