1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CHRON - 2 in one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dingaaa, Mar 14, 2010.

1. dingaaa

dingaaa Member

First article, Brooks ties franchise record
    Trey chic

With a 3-pointer late in the first half Saturday, Aaron Brooks had made at least one 3-pointer in 37 consecutive games, the NBA's longest active streak, to tie the franchise record held by Luther Head.

“I don't know, it is an accomplishment,” Brooks said. “The organization has such a rich history, to go in the record book for something, that would be good.”
    Hill steps up

Rockets forward Jordan Hill began playing when David Andersen was hurt. But that is not why he started playing.

“Actually, he played pretty well in practice, did some things some of the other guys weren't doing,” coach Rick Adelman said. “He's long and he's athletic. He's got to learn to play hard all the time he's on the court.

“But we saw him in practice and I felt it was worth giving him an opportunity.”

Hill had 12 points and nine rebounds against the Pistons on Sunday and 11 points and nine rebounds against the Wizards on Tuesday.

“He showed on the road trip,” Adelman said, “he can play and he gives us something a little bit different than what we had.”
    Dual purposes

Though the Rockets' playoff hopes have been reduced to slim, coach Rick Adelman said he will substitute based on winning, rather than evaluation or development. Those goals, he said, could be accomplished while doing what works to win.

“You still try to win games,” Adelman said. “We'll see how this whole thing plays out.”

Second one - Of Course is Scola's big night.

Usually when Luis Scola scores like this a bunch of guys from Argentina drape medals around their necks.

Instead, Scola gave the Rockets something that does come around more often than once every four years, but was five weeks in the making.

With Scola scoring a career-high 44 points, the Rockets won a second consecutive game for the first time since Feb. 5, with the Rockets pulling away in the fourth quarter to knock off the New Jersey Nets 116-108 on Saturday night at Toyota Center.

“Luis was awesome,” Shane Battier said. “They are erecting statues in Buenos Aires, as we speak.”

Scola made 20 of 25 shots, the most shots a Rocket has made in a game in nearly 20 years, since Hakeem Olajuwon hit 21 in an overtime game April, 19, 1990.

He bested his previous career best by 14 points and surpassed the 43 points Aaron Brooks scored in the triple-overtime win over the Timberwolves for the most points by a Rocket since Tracy McGrady’s 47 against the Jazz in the 2007-08 season.

Scola started the night beating the Nets up the floor on the break and to the boards, but by the fourth quarter was tossing in 20-footers as if he could not miss.

“It was one of those nights you’re feeling good, then everything you try works,” Scola said. “I’m probably as surprised as you are.

Special night

“One moment, I looked up, I had 32, 33, I was like, ‘Whoa, that looks pretty good.’”

Scola had that much heading into the fourth quarter. His night seemed certain to be special as soon as the second half began.

He hit the Nets with an 8-0 run, all layups, before many of the fans with the high-dollar tickets returned to their seats for the second half, rushing the Rockets to a seven-point lead before anyone else scored. He kept scoring, putting up 16 in the third quarter to help the Rockets take a four-point lead into the final quarter.

But this was not a radical change. In his past five games, Scola matched the longest streak of double-doubles of his career, averaging 26.2 points and 15.2 rebounds in that stretch.

“He’s just been unbelievable,” coach Rick Adelman said. “He’s just been so active.”

But the Rockets were not stopping the Nets enough to pull away until midway through the fourth quarter.

Nets try to keep up

The Nets stayed in the game until midway through the fourth quarter when center Brook Lopez returned to the game with five fouls and immediately hit a jumper over Scola. Courtney Lee cut to the basket for a layup, reducing the lead to five with 6½ minutes left.

The Rockets just kept scoring, with Scola putting in rebounds, jumpers and layups on the break.

Scola and Brooks each had 11 points in the fourth quarter as the Rockets built a 13-point lead.

By then, the Rockets were hitting all over the court, and had slowed the normally inept New Jersey offense long enough to take command. But the difference was clear.

“He’s been stepping up ever since the trade and he has been a dominant guy in this league,” Brooks said. “We’ve got the Argentina Luis now.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6912328.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6912448.html

Lock / Merge if posted

Thanks, dingaaa :grin:

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

well, dang aaa

3. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

Keep on hitting 3s AB

4. T_Man

T_Man Member

Amazing and the NBA didn't invite him to be in the 3 point contest....

5. foo82

foo82 Member

I swear Battier really knows how to give great quotes out.

6. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

I was thinking the same thing when i read it. The "3/4s of the world is covered by water and the rest by Chuck Hayes" and this one might be my two favs. He is spot on, witty, and has the vocabulary to express himself without spewing the same old lines.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Kid: Grandpa Aaron, whose record did you break, again?
    Aaron: Luther Head.
    Kid: Hahahahahahahaha...