1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christopher Nolan's New Film: INTERSTELLAR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

anro_ed, your opinion, but not shared by many. there's nothing wrong with that. you may have set yourself up to feel only disappointment due to your expectations, which was exasperated by the fact of how long it took you to be able to watch the film.

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

People are so hard to please in this day and age. The freedom of speech and vast amounts of information the internet has provided us has automatically made us into film critics/scientists and writers. The internet has transformed regular people into doctors and mechanics and even a team's gm. So when we watch a movie we automatically look for flaws and plot holes that don't make sense to our information filled brains. We will not be tricked and we will find every flaw and wrong piece of information with that movie that attempted to entertain us for a few hours.

God, I don't know..... Seems like everyone is in a rush to find something wrong with a film that they forget to just simply sit down and enjoy it. These are films and stories and sometimes they don't have to make perfect scientific sense. That's the beauty of our imaginations, we can travel across the universe and back. Does it matter how we accomplished it? Is that what matters? Or what we saw while we explored new worlds and life beings.

Not all movies are great but to judge a movie based on its science or CGI in my opinion is getting old and cheap. We have seen talking animals, dinosaurs, aliens, monsters and laser swords and never questioned it but a movie like Interstellar comes along and we all of sudden become experts on relativity and space travel. Or a Jurassic World comes around and too much CGI...... Where the CGI dinosaurs not enough to put a picture in your brain of what's happening? Oh you much prefer to be fooled by an animatronic puppet because it looks more real although you very well know that its still fake.......

I'm just saying its more enjoyable to watch a movie when we are watching a movie and not investigating it.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm sort of waiting for one of the above long posts to break into a Fresh Prince theme song.

4. dmoneybangbang

Great movie, but I think it would have been better served to make it into two movies with the planet exploration straddling both movies.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I really hope Episode VII is a smash hit (I'm sure it will be), as I think the more studios see practical effects succeed, the more inclined they will be to use them in other projects.

I agree, some of the people that nick-pick get into so extreme detail it really is baffling. The perfect example being that the film doesn't explicitly tell you that time has passed between scenes. Since the dawn of fiction this has been a basic understanding in storytelling, or so I thought.

I also agree that people "can't believe" certain aspects of a film that is science fiction. It is science fiction based on fact and theory, but that doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day - it is fiction.

I'm with you, I can suspend belief for a few hours, and can do so even more easily when the fiction is based on pretty strong scientific theory.

I was awake at 3:00AM with nothing to do, so I enjoyed going into detail about one of my favorite films =D

Long story short, this movie has made me think more than any other movie in at least the past decade. I've spent hundreds of hours reading about space, time travel, black holes, wormholes and the like because of this film... and I'm not alone.

Any film that gets people interested in real science is special in my opinion. Nolan seems to have a knack for this, with films like Interstellar, Inception and The Prestige always sparking intense debate. That is what makes a great storyteller.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Just watched this movie. Wow. One of the best movies I have ever seen. Hope there's a sequel which explores the fifth dimension beings

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Love is the 4th dimension...."

Rolls eyes...

Smacks Anne Hathaway wth a giant fish on the spot.