1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Dinner (Bone in Rib Roast?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blatz, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I decided to have bone in rib roast for Christmas this year. Getting tired of the Turkey/Ham and Dressing, although I still love it for Thanksgiving. This is my first time to make one so I'm a little nervous that I'm going to screw it up. I've seen some recipes with different herbs where you roast it at a high temp for so long then you reduce the temp and roast again. Then seen some that say Roast at 325 for a hour then turn off the oven letting it sit for 3 hr. I've also seen one where you multiply the weight by 5 min. and roast for that long at 500 then turn the oven off and let sit for a while.

Anyone have any experience with roasting one?

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

never done one, but i've been reading, watching stuff.

They say high heat for 20 minutes to brown the outside. then bring it down to 325 to cook. It's something like 15 minutes per pound or something like that.

Then when you get it to your desired doneness, take it out of the oven, and cover it with foil for another 30 minutes.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He said bone in...

1 person likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

With a rib roast as with most steaks, you aren't really cooking it. You are just warming it up and putting a crust on it.

Depending on how much time you have, I would roast it in a low temperature oven(<200 degrees) until it hits 130 degrees. Then you pull out the roast, get your oven to about 450 and then roast it for about 10 to 15 minutes to get a crust on it.

A meat thermometer is a must.

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Should I season it with just salt, pepper and garlic?