1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood's injury

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket_ph, Feb 4, 2021.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

You always get so pissy after you loose an argument. lol

BamBam, bmelo, dmoneybangbang and 2 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes I do.

But I havent lost an argument yet.

coachbadlee, Boston84 and T for 3 like this.
  3. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Looked like a bad sprain to me. He was able to walk a little. Iam thinking 4 weeks. Just hope he’s not prone to this again.

banzai likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I missed it — which advanced stats?

As a general comment, it’s very easy to overweight the value of “advanced stats” in a relatively small sample of games. And this year, especially, the stats are pretty screwy given lineup instability and lack of practice time throughout the league.

The question we should be asking is if Christian Wood is the type of player that successful offenses run their offense through. I have my doubts. The two indicators which are red flags for me are the very low FT rate and the low pass rate. There’s no precedent that I’m aware of for such a player being the featured number one player of a good offensive team. If you or others can think of a comparable, let me know.

clutchdabear and jboslett like this.
  5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I hope is 2 to 3 weeks.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm very disappointed durv.

Throwing out your uninformed opinion without any due diligence at all, that is unlike you.

How hard is it to go to nba.com or one of the many online resources to grab even the basics on Wood before opining?

Here is a thread on CF that has the gist of it.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/wood-“take-notice-”.310189/page-2

7. Rockets4Life13

I'm all for ball movement and everyone getting their touches, but Christian Wood needs more shots.

The last couple of games he hit almost every shot he took, scoring 23 on 13 shots or something crazy like this.

I don't see a reason why wall and Gordon should shoot 20 times a game and Wood 13 times, that's all.

I almost can't remember a miss from 3 from Wood in the last couple of games, whenever he gets the ball in a Pick&Pop he converts the 3. It's just bad to not look for that first, since he's our most efficient scorer right now.
    Also, if he consistently hits that pick&pop 3, the defense will have to adjust and give Gordon and Wall more space in the paint which they then can attack.

Shark44 and D-rock like this.
  8. durvasa

What I was asking you to do was point out the stats that have convinced you that we should be running the offense through Wood. We all know that Wood has been very efficient in his current role. But you are asking for the team to change the offense to give him a much more expanded role. Which advanced stats have convinced you that this will make the team better? Can you point to any historical examples with a comparable player where this has worked as you are imagining it will work in this case?

If you’re not interested in doing the work to actually make your case convincing, then stop belittling others for not agreeing with t.

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wood is a destination for the offense, not somebody who can drive the car and plan the trip. Absolutely a good destination to have.

The other problem of course is that we are spoiled by having the most prolific points creator in the history of the modern game for the last 9 years who presents multiple pathways simply by having the ball in his hands 35 feet away - like literally at any point from 24 to about 1 second there are multiple chances for Harden to burn you in multiple ways

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

#110 J.R., Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  11. durvasa

Getting him some more looks when he’s open is sensible. As the team gets more and more comfortable playing with each other, these missed opportunities should lessen.

That’s very different from advocating that we change our offense and run it through Wood.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood shot 3/3 from 3 for 100% 3P.

Wood is shooting 42% from 3 for the season and 55% FG.

While Dipo is shooting more than twice as many 3's (8 or more attempts to Wood's 4 attempts) at 33% for the season.

The last OKC game Dipo attempted 8 treys for 12.5%. And overall he was 8/24 for 33% FG.

Wood had his worst game in January and still shot 2/4 from 3P for 50% and 3/7 for 42% FG.

7 total shot attempts.

That was Wood's worst game, only game in single digits all season.

saleem and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  13. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

Our BC is the main reason for our Offense. inefficent shots, low fg%. and low TS% & efg%

on the other hand ...Wood..hes shooting 80% in the paint, he is top 20 in FGM and only takes 16 FGA...less in Top 20. And he is the most effective..nearly 62% efg..better than KD, Curry etc.
    Wood has an 111 Ortg (like steph curry) on 63 Ts %

give this man the shots he deserves.

D-rock likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Unfortunately, he is badly injured now.

15. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

Unfortunately!

D-rock likes this.
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

For those saying Wood needs more shots, a big part of the reason he is shooting so well is because he is controlled.

Almost all of his 3's are clean looks, and he doesn't dribble through traffic to take heavily contested shots at the rim. I do agree we need to utilize him more in the PnR, but just because he's been shooting so well at this rate doesn't mean he will stay as efficient if we keep feeding him.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Why do people think its going to be a longshot for Wood to become a "star" ??? I think he's almost there already and in a year or two could be one of the best players in the league - how's that for fandom?

BamBam, D-rock and Plowman like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Re-roll worse right after recovery from the first injury... see you in 4-6 weeks.

20. conquistador#11

I'll gladly take that.