1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood... Would you trade him? (Fit seems off)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Oct 7, 2021.

1. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

Why rush and trade him now when he still has one more year left on his deal and is on such a cheap contract? I personally feel we’re not going to get back what we want for him right now because other teams don’t see him as valuable do to his injury history and feel that his numbers last year are inflated do to him playing on a bad squad. You’d do better letting him play this upcoming season out, allowing him to potentially improve his trade value then make the decision on weather to trade, re-sign, or let him walk in free agency during the final year of his contract.

Corrosion, ilias and saleem like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I get it. I was frustrated at Wood and disappointed that KPJ didn’t build on his first game effort. It is still very early in his career and melding with his teammates. I am not for trading Wood anytime soon. We need to give the guys a chance to jell. However, Wood is going to have to improve his aggressiveness and free throws or he will need to go at some point. Seguin needs to start sooner rather than later. Adding him and Tate to the first unit will improve our defense and rebounding tremendously.

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

All I know is that the Rockets better not lose Sengun. I do think C.Wood will provide great games, but consistently I have doubts on that. The game was lost on D.House.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Silas doesn't give Sengun more than 18 minutes on Monday against Toronto (or just even meaningful minutes with the starters) I'm going to have to question Stephen's ability to evaluate talent.

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps hes experimenting and testing to see whose gonna get major minutes in RS and Sengun is actually one hes sure about?

cmoak1982, Landsdale and fattz like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

in the right system with the right coach wood would be a beast defensively (and offensively)...we need a coach that that is defense minded and dedicated to detail.... we need a coach who understands the value of one single possession...too many dribbling around and bailout 3s

D-rock likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If he's sure about Sengun I don't think putting him on the floor with the benchwarmers as opposed to the starters is productive. I mean, if this is a chemistry building preseason wouldn't you want to build chemistry among the players you're going to rely upon the most?

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

god knows what hes thinking, i think its only fair we give him another 6 years to see if hes a good coach because the last year wasnt his fault

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t see where you are so sure that Wood would be a beast on defense. Give me a break. It’s not time to blame our defense on coaching. At some point, this might be the case, but it is way too soon to judge when you have a bunch of teenagers and low 20 players getting their first taste of significant NBA minutes.

Landsdale and Patience like this.
  10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I’m in the trade Wood by the deadline camp. He’s a 3rd guy on a contender at best and we aren’t contending anytime soon. Better to trade him while still on a good contract for value.

fattz likes this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

His interior defense is horrible and I could understand anyone here wanting to trade him after seeing the last two games but hey maybe he picks it up and plays better when the season starts.

Landsdale likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Wood gives me that "Dwight Howard I want to play this way even though I'm bad it" energy.

IvanLCPM and Crashlanded19 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. MystikArkitect

So he's gonna be much better at FTs during the regular season. Wish his FT game was as good as his petty Twitter game.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahah... i agree... his and senguns ft troubles are unacceptable...to me its a sign of a poor coaching

fattz likes this.
  16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun is a good player he needs 24 to 30 minutes a game

17. MystikArkitect

Sengun FTs are a small concern. Guy just seems like a baller. Always looking to make the right play.

Wood is the opposite. Always looking to make the wrong play just to make a point. Like that stupid windmill dunk. Nothing he does looked fluid or within the confines of his skills as a basketball player. When he makes a basket it seems so *labored*. Like it happened by chance instead of design.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

This needs to happen.

I will keep my mouth shut if Silas commits to this.

Not just with Wood but with Sengun as well.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It looks like Wood’s leg is about to snap in half just standing there.

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I cringe every time I see Wood ISO'ing on the perimeter trying to break a guy down off the dribble.

I think he is very talented, but he has the Dwight Howard syndrome where he wants to play in a way that:

1. Doesn't maximize his abilities

2. Doesn't fit with the rest of the team and lessens the team's effectiveness.

He needs to swallow his pride and stay down in the paint, or at least stick to running P&R with either Green or KPJ.

It might not be as flashy, but in the long run it will be better for him and the team.

I think the one exception to all of this is if he want's to try to finish on the fast break, go for it. He has shown he can do that.