1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood... Would you trade him? (Fit seems off)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Oct 7, 2021.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The "HAMPSTER ON THE TREADMILL PHILOSOPHY".....stay young and keep going back into the lottery.

This is why teams like the Sacramento Kings and Minnesota Timberwolves continue to be the dreads of the league!

clos4life likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

nah, they’re dreads of the league because they’re stupid and incompetent

Wolves could’ve drafted Steph, but took Johnny Flynn and Rubio B2B instead

Kings could’ve drafted Luka, and they would have ended their playoff drought while having a generational all-time great talent, but nah, they took Bagley instead

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To add to your point, the Kings success/failure will always been handcuffed to their owner. There's been way too many articles, rumors and reports about his hands-on approach to owning a team. The last thing an NBA needs to do is heavily suggest his NBA team to run plays that he implemented on his girl's middle school team.

Deckard, Trackwell and Reeko like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

The more guys you have that can the ball in the bucket, the more likely you are to win. Wood is a bucket guy. We need a true #1 in the draft this year to compliment Green who is more like a #2, and Wood who can be a #3. Simmons can't score. That makes him a liability in a game where putting the ball in the basket is the number one thing you gotta do.

5. steddinotayto

Back to Wood....he wants that big payday then he'll have to stay healthy and produce like how he did before the All-Star break last year. If he can do that he'll get paid, whether it's from Fertitta or his new team after we trade him for more assets. His health and production can make this a win-win for all parties involved.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How much longer is Daryl going to let this Wood situation drag out, it's already October 7.

DO SOMETHING it's becomiing a distraction. Look for the blessing in teh skies.

7. steddinotayto

What has led you to the conclusion that Green is more like a #2? Very curious as we've only seen Summer League and one pre-season game thus far.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Zion is a true #1. 27 ppg out of the gate in the NBA. 27-7-3. That's a guy you can win a championship with. No questions asked. Jalen Green finished only 19th in scoring, and that was in the lower level G League. 17ppg. 17-4-3 There's a talent gap there. When it comes to a title, the end game, that's a big difference.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I'm so glad none of us on this board are in charge of running the Rockets! It's been one PRESEASON game and everyone is talking about trades and moves to our young potential stars. As I've said everyone is expendable until we find our true building block but we don't even know who that is yet after 1 preseason game! The guy is also on a really good contract. Give him time! Sengun is also going to need a couple more years for his body to be NBA Ready.
    It's still Preseason!

10. steddinotayto

I'm confused as to where the location of your gate is because he didn't do that until this past season whereas his rookie year saw him play 24 games averaging 22 and 6. As for him being a guy you can win a championship with....let's see the Pelicans make the playoffs first.

Lloyd Estacio likes this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Would you go 4 years & $100 million extension(?), which is what John Collins just got($25mill per). I would think Wood would be in about that range.

Y2JT likes this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

As always, it depends on what you get in return. I’d be willing to trade anyone if it improves the team.

I’m not in a hurry to trade him. I want to see how he fits in with all these new players we have added.

Y2JT, steddinotayto and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wouldn’t be that happy if he received an extension like that, especially if we’re still at the bottom of the West

I need to see more from Wood on defense and on the boards because to me he’s not even better than Vucevic, and I wouldn’t be happy if we gave a 28 year old Vuc 4/100

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The draft is NOT 100%. Giannas went 16th or 17th and every other player ahead of him was pretty much a bust. I'd rather keep a young developing 20/10 player like Wood, than to take a risk on someone a yr removed from Highschool.

Also, remember if you get players who are a yr apart from each other, they will all have to be paid in close proximity, so you run into salary cap issues, similar to OKC with Westbrook, Harden, KD and Ibaka.

SOMEBODY HAS TO GO

15. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

I'd trade him asap. I feel like he's going to want more money than he's worth so might as well ditch him now - plus he makes us slightly too good and I need Banchero on this team next year.

Some trades that could work (unsure what Wood's value exactly is right now + I dislike House so trying to ditch him in the process):

Wood, House
    for
    Hachimura, Avdija, Bryant

Wood
    for
    Wiseman, Looney

Wood, House
    For
    T. Ross, Cole Anthony and a first rounder

Wood, House
    for
    Colby White, Derrick Jones Jr and a first rounder

Wood, House
    for
    Turner, Bitadze

Trackwell likes this.
  16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I Just dont know what to say to this post other than you are not a true Rockets Fan!
    Wood is the best player on the Rockets Team and is a special player and should not under go the suggestion of a trade.
    The Rockets Management made a special effort to build around Wood. Lets give him a decent chance to show us what he can do!
    Regards, Y

17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

We have 4 rookies along with atleast 4 contributing second year players on the roster. Not to mention a second year coach. We in no way have a identity or a "fit". It's up to the coaches to make his game flourish. He is a all star level player if used correctly on pick and roll or pick and pop situations. Just look at what he was doing with harden. Need to get back to that with him.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

nobody claims the draft is 100%

u can talk about the incredibly rare outliers like Giannis or Kawhi at pick #15, but it’s just a fact that the higher the pick, the higher the chance of u acquiring a star/superstar/generational talent etc

the Kings had an opportunity to get a generational talent like Doncic with 1 of their high picks and blew it…Harden, KD, and Russ were all taken at the top of the lottery

OKC could’ve easily just amnestied Perkins to resolve their money issues and keep Harden…it was 1 of the biggest blunders ever

which is all the more reason why we shouldn’t be blowing money on guys like Christian Wood

19. steddinotayto

For me, I wouldn't mind giving Wood the max if he shows that he's a legit building block this team can build around and rely upon from now until the end of next season. By then Wall's contract is gone and Gordon's last year is non-guaranteed so the team will have cap space. The "rely upon" is the big factor, obviously, because we need to see him play at least 90% of a regular season and also keep his production relatively consistent throughout the year.

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

For every high draft pick I can show you a lower draft pick that was equally as talented. You do not have to tank, trade your top talent for future picks or whatever. You find a nucleus you like, KEEP IT and build around it.

Emoni Bates who most have been slobbering over for yrs and has been deemed generational talent now shows to have shorter measurables than what was first imagined.....20/10 in the NBA doesn't happen everyday