1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood - where is the consistency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 10, 2021.

1. DonatelloLimestone

Woods has a lot to improve on, but I give him a lot of leeaway. This is his first season with high expectations and high responsibility in the nba. He has been saying all the right things that he isn’t satisfied, needs to win, and will continue to keep working and looking where he can improve rather than patting himself in the back for his very solid stats. This is going to be a great learning year for him since he will shoulder a lot of the team and when we get more talent, grow our own talent and he will have more room to pick his moments and turn it up on D. I wish we got him on a 4 year, but even now 2 more years at that price is incredible for Woods.

TimDuncanDonaut, csc177 and ashleyem like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

OP and his enablers feeling like a dumbass yet?

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

The ANSWER:

Not Kelly Olynyk.

Olynyk needs to play back up 5.

Need a 4 that can switch 1-5 next to Wood.

ak99999 and fckbandwagons like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The last time we played Wood against Ayton, Ayton ate Wood in the paint. That's why we had Kelly in there this time matching up with Ayton.

Wood is only effective when he plays against centers that can't back him up and out rebound him.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not with our defense.

DD

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

So sick of the timeline nonsense as reason not to retain an asset like Wood.

Vets are necessary part of any successful team. Very rare to field championship team where every player under age of 25.

Silly.

BamBam and hakeem94 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

disease of tanking is contagious and leads to perfectionism in all aspects where one considers himself always better off procrastinating some more and giving himself a better and more perfect chance never even trying to really win or do something meaningful and competitive...lolololol

D-rock likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sam Quinn: If flexibility is the ultimate goal, do we think they’re going to hold on to Christian Wood? I’m just going to throw this out there, Wood is a borderline All-Star playing on the worst team in the NBA, and he only has two years left on his contract. We know how that story typically ends, right? He either leaves in free agency, or he demands a trade earlier. If I were them, I’d be trying to flip Christian out as soon as possible and get more picks, because right now like they’re going to end up in the same situation they were in with Harden. Do you think that they have the, let’s say pun sort of intended, stones to make that sort of trade?

Mike Scotto: Sam, you brought up an excellent point about his contract. It’s got another two years left after this. I think then the question becomes can you (eventually) get an extension done for a good number? If you can’t, maybe you’re looking towards kind of what you were saying, and you flip (him). Wood is also still a young guy. Right now, he’s 25. He’ll be 26 at the end of September. You’re still going to have prime Christian for another couple of years looking ahead even if you have to re-sign him. If you’re going to be a contending team, all really good teams have to go over the cap. If you have his (Bird) Rights, then is it worth it to move him out? I think he’s a long-term piece. The view now of him is he’s a part of the long-term core. I don’t think like they’re looking to move him. They’d have to be blown away with a nice offer.

Sam Quinn: His next deal, if he stays this good, he’s going to be making like $25-30 million.
    HoopsHype

What’s next for Christian Wood?

Wood was a Most Improved Player front-runner before a midseason ankle injury sidelined him for six weeks. Since returning in mid-March, he’s averaging comparable numbers, but his scoring efficiency has plummeted from 63.4 percent true shooting to 56.7 percent. The decline is partially due to a lower 3-point percentage, but it’s also a drop in scoring chances at the rim.

Only 36 percent of Wood’s shot attempts are coming at the rim since returning in March, compared to 43 percent prior. The primary cause is fairly obvious: James Harden is gone.

[​IMG]

Wood attempted nearly half of his shots at the rim when receiving a pass from Harden, compared to 30 percent or lower from other teammates. Harden’s deep shooting ability and his pinpoint playmaking enabled Wood to roll hard to the rim. But with John Wall and other more limited perimeter players, Wood is asked to pop for 3-pointers.

Without a shot creator who can effectively shoot off the bounce, Wood’s value as a pick-and-roll threat unfortunately diminishes. Shooting 3s is an important part of his game, but finishing inside is his best skill. Wood recently told reporters he plans to work on his playmaking and his body this offseason, which are important next steps for his development. But to reach his full potential, the Rockets need to find him a new pick-and-roll partner.
    KOC/Ringer

D-rock likes this.
  12. jb86

jb86 Member

C Wood just needs to hit the gym and get strong. He also needs to practice to the point on exhaustion from here on out as well as the whole team for that matter. Once he gains that muscle to where he is never hurt, it goes dine.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Tilman's hitmen

D-rock likes this.
  14. csc177

csc177 Member

He's had 5 years to do everything you just mentioned in your post. Wood is who he is. We have to find ways to maximize what he does well and hide his deficiencies.

jiggyfly, jb86 and DaDakota like this.
  15. jb86

jb86 Member

No Christian Wood is 25. He has the skills now. He needs to get bigger and stronger to 1. Stay on the court and 2. Dominate at his position. Usually at the NBA level the stars hit the gym pretty hard. For example, go look at Steph Curry when he first got in the league compared to now. Christian even said it himself that he was about hit the gym hard this off-season.

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't there a point in between there, though? Sure, you need vets, but I think you want players more like Olynyk than Wood. Wood is a borderline allstar (maybe future allstar?) coming up in his prime, but he is unlikely to match up with our rebuild. We can have vets on the team without keeping guys like Wood, it's a different scenario imo.

17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ima be real, I low key don't like bigs being your best player...unless they like hakeem, Shaq embid level great. To me that's not that impressive of stats for your quote best player on your team. Op is right I've always slotted him has being your 3rd best guy on a championship team...he'll he wasn't better then Chris bosh, n probably won't ever be. N Chris was really good and still had to be the 3rd guy

amaru, dmoneybangbang and daywalker02 like this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You just name two Hall of Fame centers and the front runner for MVP this season if he wasn't injured. You're expecting Wood to come in as a full time starter for the first time in his career and immediately produce like those three guys? I'm not high on Wood as some are on here but at least I wasn't expecting him to come in and completely dominate, especially considering he wasn't a lottery pick like the three players you mentioned. Give him time and a better team to work a full season with and his numbers will be better.

D-rock likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bosh pretty much had these stats when he was 20/21.

Wood has a gap of 4 to 5 years.

Given that Chris had a blood clot or thrombosis issue, Wood would still have a hard time replicating Bosh's career.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At this point, if you gain too much, you lose your agility.

It all depends on the right volume.

jb86 likes this.