1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood - where is the consistency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think he'd be a really good 3rd option. His ceiling is a 2nd option on a good team.

I still think our best use of him will be trading him in 2 years for a good pick to a contender who wants that really strong 3rd option.

#21 Haymitch, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'd put him a step above Capela. Like a 2b type player on a good team. Simply because he has more versatility and in today's nba that means something.

He's not going to be the man on a championship caliber team and I never expected that he'd be able to carry that kind of burden.

But being the 2b or 3rd best player on a championship caliber team is pretty damn good all things considered. I think on a good team he has all star potential.

I'm not going to hold inconsistency against him this year. He came into a new team with dysfunction from the get go...starting lineup has been all over the place....he himself was out injured for a while....the team is in tank mode....

I think if he were in a good team right now he'd be more consistent and be a huge piece for whatever team he was on.

In other words, I'm good with Christian wood. He's like very low on the concerns I have for this team going into the next couple years other than him demanding a trade.

roslolian, Sluball3 and Shark44 like this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He’s not the same as pre-injury but I’m glad he’s a rocket. The Pelicans play by play guy brought it up first but now I’m hearing a similar sentiment on podcast in that Houston’s offense isn’t being ran the right way because of all the contract guys playing for their next. Wood is complaining for a valid reason about his role in the offense.

I do t care what people say but if he layer with Lebron Harden or co3 he’s be borderline all star easily. He’s not Dream or AD where he can create his own offense but he can put up efficient numbers with a real pg or system. This team doesn’t play fundamental basketball every night. I listen to the other teams broadcast whenever we play a game and most of them say the same thing about Wood and the rockets. Why aren’t they invoking him more.
    Since his return from injury he needs to be set up more. Before he can take matters into his own hand a little more often

BamBam, D-rock, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  4. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

The Rockets fan in me sees him arguing with the refs way too much and allowing that nonsense to distract his attention to the small details. The Fantasy GM that has him on my team would just be happy if it started shooting his FTs with some base competency again.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yup. Bad team has always been one of the weakest excuses for a player that in reality just isn’t that guy who truly can impact winning.

what he’s done lately with all the crying about touches and complaining is a bigger worry than anything

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This sums it up nicely and I think the injury is still a factor. In a Tank Year that has been like Shuffle City for players, I'm just going to focus on enjoying the small victories--like winning a quarter by 10 before blowing the next one by 31!

Corrosion and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

No **** hes not a first option LOL. Its always funny seeing how long it takes some of you to catch up

If youre trying to compete, realistically we needed to get simmons or brown out of the harden trade AND draft a star this year to go with wood

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think his ceiling is 2nd best player on a good team. Honestly if it wasn't for the warriors making capela totally useless, capella would have been an awesome number 3 with harden. I think harden, westbrook and capella led team would have done significantly better against the Lakers

9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think kpj can be that guard. He is in a new position at a young age and had 13 assists. Given time, I think kpj can be your 10 plus assist guy.

cmlmel77 and 18pbr like this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Everyone on this board is wrong. Simple as this, he is a PF.....NOT a C.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

which makes them tossing away a capable starting center in jarrett allen even more laughable

12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

3 board games are not going to cut it when it’s winning time that’s for sure.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s not right. My guess is the ankle is still bugging him, plus he just doesn’t seem very happy. He looks like another Eric Gordon out there most of the time in terms of his complaining and pouting. He didn’t play like that pre-injury.

D-rock and apollo33 like this.
  14. ballgame

ballgame Member

Could be just me but do you think he's still hurt? He's not playing the same as he did earlier in the yr......it amazes me how people think of players as robots.

Plus, he has been playing with over 200 different lineups since the season started.

I GOT A GOOD IDEA. WHY DON'T WE LET WOOD, KPJ, WALL, TATE, KMJ AND OUR #1 DRAFT PICK GO THROUGH A FULL TRAINING CAMP AND PLAY TOGETHER 20 GAMES, BEFORE WE ASSESS THEM?

15. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

It effectively came down to giving a big contract to either Jerami Grant or C-Wood.
    Pistons chose Grant.
    If Wood hadn't had his string of injuries I would argue they made the wrong decision but Grant has played pretty well for them.
    But Wood was also playing much better than now earlier in the season imo.

At the time he started to get injured C-Wood was averaging 23.4 ppg and 11.1 rb.
    Blocks were around 2 iirc but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    He was playing better defense than he is now as well, not that it's that high of a bar to cross.
    But 23 (and a half) and 11 are all-star numbers and if those held up he would have made it this year.

What I am concerned about is if he has a body that can stand up to an 82 game schedule or if constant nagging injuries are going to plague him throughout his career.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Opponent...........Wood Pt's / Rebs......notable Opposing Big(s) Pts........Rebs......Ast.........
    Portland...................31...............13............................Nurkic...............12.............11......…..6...........
    Denver......................23................3..............................Jokic................19.......…....12........18..........
    Sacramento.............21...............12.............................R Holmes..........23.............13......................
    Sacramento.............20...............15.............................R Holmes..........11.............19......................
    Dallas.......................23.................7.............................WCS...................15..............7........................
    Orlando....................22................15.............................Vuc....................22.............12.......................
    LAL...........................23.................3..............................A Davis..............27..............4.........................
    LAL...........................18.................8..............................A Davis..............19.............10.........................
    San Antonio..............27........….....15.............................LMA..................11...............2........................
    San Antonio..............24................18.............................Poelti................13..............11.......................
    Chicago.....................30.................9........................Wendel Carter........10...............8...........T Young 12 pt's 9 Rebs
    Phoenix......................20...............11.............................Ayton................26..............17........................
    Portland.....................22...............12.............................Kanter...............13..............13........................
    New Orleans..............27................9.....................S Adams.............4...............2....Zion 26 pt's 7 rebs/ Jaxon Hayes 10 pt's 5 rebs
    OKC............................18...............11............................Horford..............12...............7..........................
    OKC.............................8..................6.............................Horford..............17...............6..........................
    Memphis....................17.................7...................Brandon Tillman...........9..............10.........................
    GSW............................21.................9.....................Draymond Green.......16.............12............10.........
    Detroit.........................18................11....................Mason Plumlee..........6..............16.........................
    OKC.............................27.................8.......................Moses Brown...........13............14.........................
    Toronto........................19................4..........................Siakim....................21............10........……............
    Charlotte......................11...............10.........................Biyombo.................7..............2..........................
    Minnesota....................24................9..................…...........KAT...................29............16........................
    Brooklyn.......................14................8.............................Claxton...............12..............8.........................
    Boston..........................19...............10......................Robert Williams.......20..............9............8............
    New Orleans.................15...............10........................S Adams................12..….........11........................
    Phoenix.........................23................3...........................Ayton....................27.............11........................
    Dallas............................22................10.......................Porzingis................23.............12......…...............
    LAC................................23................3.............................Zubac.................10..............7.........................

So, C Wood puts up good numbers but an opposing big is almost guaranteed to have a good night as well with double double numbers.
    This is why I proposed drafting a player that can throw people around and gets some rebounds, set screens, give us hustle plays.
    Or get them in free agency. Allow Wood to open up his offense and get us almost 27 points a game next season.

#36 ApacheWarrior, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  17. dmoneybangbang

He's fine in his first season with starter minutes. He's still probably nursing that nasty ankle sprain while not benefitting from good guard play.

Next season will be more indicative of how growth, but I've been impressed with him shouldering the increased minutes and load.

BamBam and D-rock like this.
  18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m thinking of a master plan, I got nothing but Wood inside my hand @Jontro @tinman

Jontro likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Typical knee jerk b****ing thread.

This is bottom 3 team in the NBA, there are a half a dozen more egregious concerns, at the very least.

And CF is whining about the most efficient performer on the team. Wood is not even the highest paid player or the purported franchise.

It is amazing how Stone, Silas and even Tilly are given the benefit of the doubt for this sewage of season but we shet on one of our best players coming off injury and is still figuring out his game.

:rolleyes:o_O

BamBam, jiggyfly, darksoul35 and 2 others like this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Fair enough. Except - IMO you are undervaluing his will to come back as soon as possible , very likely very much too soon, from an ankle.

If CE is a legit #3 count me in.

D-rock likes this.