1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OK, I've now had a few hours to dispassionately think through this trade and I've come to the conclusion that my first instinct was correct:
    [​IMG]

coachbadlee, Rudyc281, ArtV and 6 others like this.
  2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

KPJ is different because he didn't play PG in college. Don't know how long will take him to adjust. His stat got better but he's still bad playing as PG.

aaquaa likes this.
  3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, point guard is not just assists but the right assists (and plays) at the right time to the right people and deep understanding of the flow and feel of a game such that you can control it with how you set your team up. KPJ is a huge talent, but the question will always be his game management and basketball IQ. Great point guards think through possibilities and anticipate rather than react.

Now, that high IQ guy doesn't have to be a point guard. You can have a Bird or James type, but it usually falls to the point guard. Getting that guy makes championships much easier and more attainable. That's one reason I prefer Paulo over Chet and Jabari. I think he may have a little of that in him.

TheJuice and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Boston desperately needed a better point guard during the recently completed finals, more along the lines of a "pure point." It's a good example of what you're talking about, in my opinion.

Drift Monkey, Milos, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Mo
    Paolo
    Eason
    JG
    Porter

Rudyc281 and r-fan-since-81 like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As far as expectations go, I expected the Brooklyn pick to be around #26 back when Harden was 1st traded.

So having the #26 & #17 is like getting the #17 for Wood (from my subjective perspective).

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

that’s Charlie Casserly thinking…but I like it. ;)

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Holding back how? We lost all those games. Wood was out biggest offensive threat and we are going to be significantly worse next season.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

but but but didn't you hear, we're in a position-less combo-guard era. there is no PG. ;)

The PG role only comes into play, when it suits point of view someone has to give.

12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Yes, there is no PG, but there is still one guy that is your prime ball handler.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

You mean like someone 'on point'? Does that ball handler score, pass, and maybe call some plays?

14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Did you watch Rockets play last season? Pretty much everyone on the team does that. Green, Wood, Tate, Sengun all dribble the ball up court. Even Theis did it too. Look at how many turnover the Celtics got in the final playing without a player that can really take care of the ball.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

So do these other guys (Wood, Tate...) who shared the PG duty get a pass on their "new role"?

I'm a bit tired of the asterisk people put on KPJ's pg role, as if he's a brand new BBall player. Either there's a PG position that KPJ is fulfilling or as you state the PG role is shared by committee (which I agree), in which case the transition wasn't that big to begin with, because several players on the team is also doing it. Which means it can't really be an excuse.

16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

KPJ still handling the ball most of the time. I don't know what was Silas game plan. Westbrook did this a lot and go attack before opponent defense set up. The thing I see is there is no one calling play. Wood dribble the ball up court. Everyone kind of look at him and don't know what to do. KPJ got the ball. Everyone stand there. Wood didn't want to come and set a pick. Nobody is calling play.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Wood does dribble up sometimes, but those are very rare and it sticks in people's mind because it's funny when it happens.

Rockets do call plays. KPJ (and others, JC, Gordon, Dennis, Sengun, DJ) holding up hand signs before an action is run. You probably remember the double drags and the dribble hand offs, lot of pet plays Rockets likes to run...etc

Rockets do play with pace especially first half of last year, but because of TO's they've also dialed it back. The entire game is not just fast breaks, it can't be, because other teams adjusts their transitional D. More possessions in any NBA game is played in a half court setting than fast breaks.

a) The PG duty is shared by committee (which includes calling plays) or at least in a loose definition the initiator of the action. How hard can it be if other Rockets players are also doing it in small doses.

b) KPJ is main ball handler (i agree), if anything that puts him in a position to be MORE in rhythm than anyone else on the team. Guys like Garrison and Armoni are asked to check into games; not have the ball for minutes straight, then in a spot up are expected to make their shot with 1 or no dribbles.

If you have the ball, your scoring and efficiency is supposed to go UP. In lot of Q4 final minutes, KPJ usually is the one shooting hero ball. There were a few games people remember it went in; but the later ones didn't. He usually reserve it for himself, unless Silas call something specific for other Wood, Green or Gordon.

Did KPJ expand his "PG" role YES. But that "PG" role is also done by other people, and when those other people have bad games, turn the ball over, I almost never hear people (here) bought that up as a reason as an excuse. We just say that player stunk that stretch of games.

Being a ball handler is an advantage, not a handicap.

Finally if the reason given is that the game is too fast for him (decision making...etc), then KPJ should be what lot of us been saying the past year. Put him in SF or a 6th man.

#1037 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

28 and 7-8 was pretty darn good, imo.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Looks like Stone agrees with me. He stated pretty emphatically that he didn’t want another late FRP, but took one anyway just to get rid of Wood. If not to unleash KPJ and Green then why? Saying we didn’t win any of those games proves your point is ridiculous, since we were openly tanking at that point and offense wasn’t our problem, defense, which Wood does not play, was. We won’t be worse than 20 wins next year, but we will be bad and that is by design for one more year.

Milos and KingSamJack like this.