1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. BonziWellsGOAT

That's what I'm saying lol he knew James was James so he had to run pick and roll. Once he was "the guy" it was all step back 3s and bringing the ball up. Idk how anybody can point to those games as the reason we should have kept him

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

As posted in another thread.

Use #17 to move up from 3, draft BPA at 26.

4. Rockets4Life13

I think he'll do fine and the Rockets will once again be labeled as the trade losers.

Then he'll get a nice contract and will start declining because his head isn't right.

Then people will act like it was always good to get rid of him and no one was actually saying the Rockets lost the trade

Williamson and Drift Monkey like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How Christian Wood plays does not determine who “won” the trade, how the Rockets play does. The last 10 games proved how Wood was holding back KPJ and Green. We had to move him no matter what and I’m sure this was the best offer. The Rockets are looking to be decent by 2024 and if they accomplish that they won the trade from their prospective. It’s irrevelant if Wood plays well for Dallas. Win/win trades are the best.

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

I can't wait for us to win 4 more games next year.

clos4life likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is pretty confusing but ok

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

#17,#26,Mil Pick,2025 Brooklyn Swap,2026 Brooklyn 1st unprotected+Tate for #1!

Sengun/Garuba
    Paolo/KMJ
    Smith/KMJ
    Green/Gup
    KPJ/Nix

9. steddinotayto

Gotta be Charlotte and one of their picks.

Aruba77 likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No way Orlando trades that far down in this draft, but it’s good to dream.

groovemachine and jiggyfly like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The same can be said for 50% of NBA players it's crazy acting like KPJ is some outlier and since when has his effort level been questioned?

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  12. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many starting point guards leave the arena at half time for non-injury reasons? He was suspended indefinitely at USC. We was kicked off the team by Cleveland. He was suspended one game by Houston. So he has been essentially been suspended by his last 3 teams for detrimental conduct. What percent of NBA players have accomplished this feat? Not sure, but I would estimate that it is under 2%. Out of starting players in the NBA, that's probably 0%.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...initely-by-usc-due-to-personal-conduct-issues
    https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021...led-swingman-kevin-porter-jr-sources-say.html
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...rter-christian-wood-poor-behavior-sources-say

Effort level is subjective, but in my eyes, I see poor effort level when things aren't going his way. After a miss layup with no foul called, more often than KPJ is pouting and not sprinting back on defense.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All true, but he did make major strides on and off the court this year.

This coming year will be huge for his entire life. Fingers crossed.

BigM likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We got Aaron Brooks.

There are a number of guys I'd rather have at 26, rather than keeping an expiring, flaccid Wood. Walker Kessler for instance.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like Chet and Jabari have lower floors than Paolo, so I would be scared to make that trade. If the Rockets ended up with 1 or 2 via the lottery, I would be ok taking the risk on one of them and if they bust, they bust. But I would hate to know they gave up additional assets to draft a player that busted. I'd rather just draft at #3 and take whoever falls to the spot.

16. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm rooting for Kevin Porter Jr. He can be a valuable NBA player. He just needs to be professional and a true competitor. Unless you are a superstar, you can only give so many chances to a player the caliber of KPJ. I'm hoping Silas sets a clear pecking order for this team and that's Jalen Green at the very top. We need to build around the Jalen Green foundation. Maybe Banchero and Sengun can be additional foundational pieces. I'm hoping KPJ can be a great complimentary piece.

AroundTheWorld, jcmoon and RudyTBag like this.
  17. Rockets4Life13

Maybe i didn't write it clearly, whats confusing about this?

I was just comparing this to the Harden Brooklyn trade that was at first labeled to be a robbery and now that BKN fell apart somewhat it's suddenly not that bad and I think the Wood trade will be similar.

At first Wood will play well and we'll get labeled as trade losers and once he declines which i think he will, people will barely talk about it and/or act like the trade was always fair/houston favored

aaquaa and Drift Monkey like this.
  18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

No doubt but it is a prett asset rich offer. Albeit low odds that one of those assets ends up as high as #2. But the Brooklyn assets after 2023 must have some weight to them I would guess.

19. steddinotayto

For one I don't really care who/what labels Houston as losers in relation to this trade. If Wood puts up 18/10 a night in Dallas that's basically the same as what he did in Houston so there isn't any "Oh **** Houston messed up!" element to it. Unless something huge happens (like "Wood selected for All-Star team!" or "Wood propels Dallas into the Finals!") no one is going to point fingers and laugh at us, labeling us losers.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

People keep talking about addition by subtraction with C Wood and how we'll play so much better without him. That's a fringe benefit of the trade. We could have just sit him or waived him and had that same benefit.

The grade of the trade will be if we get more out of #26 than Wood. I think that's possible if we can move up.

aaquaa likes this.