1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wood sucks on defense, but it's not like he was guarding these guys one on one in the left low block.

Mostly it was high screen, Rockets attempt the OMGWTFBBQ switch -> 2 points for Zubac or whatever other unstoppable roll man there was.

I'm glad Wood is done, like i said im interested to see if he can find his level as a role player 5 not a wannabe superstar

hajkov and jcmoon like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This, btw, is why he was lobbying for Sengun to get more minutes and IIRC to play with Sengun...because he didn't want to play anywhere near the paint on defense.

It's a solid move for Dallas since they are giving up nothing and a 26 pick does nothing for them right now but Wood's scoring ability just wasn't good enough to make up for everything else he was bad at.

3. BonziWellsGOAT

If you're pretending he played the same way last year as he did when he was with Harden then I have nothing to say to you.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Big if true.

5. Milos

Milos Member

I feel like this year for Wood in DAL will be Julius Randle for the Knicks 2 years ago

Walk year will provide extra motivation to behave and buy into team
    Luka will make his efficiency skyrocket
    A good DEF team around him will cover his weaknesses on that end
    A team already in the WCF will win a couple rounds, and his 'loser' rep will be repaired

Then he will land a big deal somewhere next offseason, and it will immediately become a cap albatross as all that shine fades to reveal the turd that Luka has polished up nice and pretty

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A real possibility. I'd prefer the "real Wood" showing up halfway through this coming season, but it's not hard imagining your scenario. ;-)

Milos likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Dude he played with "just here to play my way out of town James" for what, 10 games? Other than catching a few lobs i don't remember a markedly different Wood one way or the other.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Confirmed failure…

Magic is always wrong

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I don't understand what the end game would be for the pro-woodites.

He could play outstanding (albeit selfishly) the first part of 2022-2023 only to have blocked our younger players and be dealt as expiring wanting 25million a year.

I thought he was worth more too but I didnt want him back regardless. 26th sounds good to me.

Drift Monkey and Milos like this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don’t think anyone at all has been arguing we should keep Wood. And for those who think we didn’t get enough in return, it’s not like Stone purposely took less. It is what it is for the value of a player on the worst team in the league.

lkrockets likes this.
  11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Bye bye Wood

Hello Boban! Making his way thru the NBA TX triangle !!!!!!

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you have to take all of this with a grain of salt.

An agent wants to put a rookie in a position to shine to ensure their value is maximized (i.e. big contract extension). Ball dominate players like Wood and KPJ are a threat to that.

So it might have more to do with touches than culture or personality.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The Houston Rockets traded a first round pick (28th pick) to the Lakers in 2017 for 1.5 seasons of Lou Williams, who at the time was averaging 19/3/2 on 60 TS%, and was the front runner/runner up for 6th man of the year.

Lou Williams was on a longer contract (Wood is expiring), was widely considered one of the best bench sparks in the league, and did not have widely known attitude issues like Wood.

At the time, it was considered a good-great trade for the Lakers (examples here, here and here).

Wood's value is significantly overestimated.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Great post.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

If I recall correctly, that was Boogie's Revenge after 19-year Sengun made him look like an old fool in the time we played him before

Reeko likes this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

I’m late, but I’m so happy he’s gone I might actually really all 49 pages.

AroundTheWorld and Reeko like this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

It’s possible that both we & Dallas are better after the trade. Wood will be in a perfect storm of his career. (I am not a Wood fan but I do wish him well). He maybe the everything we hoped for AND MORE. Oddly, I hope he is. Wood was asked to be more then he is capable of here. Wood had grown more than he is capable of here causing him to fall apart a couple times. He and the Rockets needed to part ways because it was not working and starting to hurt the team. Hopefully in a very defined role Wood will become a better player and teammate. I also hope he finds the payday he looking for. I truly believe IF used right Wood could become a difference maker. We are not the team for him anymore. Thank you Mr. Wood for you service it’s been entertaining.

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It is what it is, but I find it kind of funny that we got four players from a roster that was IN THE PLAYOFFS and we have no use for any of them. Enjoyed watching Gary Payton, Jr. for the Dubs likewise!

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wood's problem on defense is not a "Can't play it" one it is a "Lack of effort" one....which can be cleared up by a coach that demands accountability and a team that does as well.

DD

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

[​IMG]

Drift Monkey likes this.