1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

The Rockets clearly have an objective to maximize cap space after next year. Not taking on longer term contracts makes salary matching much harder. That is a HUGE element of why the return here feels underwhelming to some. It is about getting something for someone who was going to walk and was blocking Sengun/Garuba in the meantime, without changing the “lose through 22/23, then go all in” strategy that has been so apparent for years.

From that standpoint, it was a fine trade.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

you definitely speak for everyone. go watch the celtics, kiddo.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just added to that post that "Al P makes Wood look small," then saw your comment. He really does. It's kind of weird, but it sums Wood up. Wood is a big guy, but in moments that count, and I think this one did for both (even on a practice court), the man can seem to shrink inside. It shows here.

4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

trust me bud nobody was sitting on their balls wondering what gm seclusion thought of the christian wood trade

5. VoR

VoR Member

We might keep Brown off all of those players. All the rest will be paid to sit on the couch at home. Don't see anyone in the league wanting them, so no trades.

Could be a play to pick up Montero at PG depth and we go with Duren or Mark Williams at 17. Or we're so impressed with Tari Eason that we move up to get him. Personally, I'm hoping Duren/Montero. Both could be lottery picks in 2023 with one more year of development. Big upside with both.

groovemachine likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

What makes you think Duren is there at 17th? He gonna be gone at either 19 or Hornet's picks.

7. VoR

VoR Member

because 17 is ahead of 19? maybe?

8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Completely agree, he could go late teens or early 20’s given those attributes

Shark44 likes this.
  9. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

So that means we got LTS in this trade? Tillman's favorite player returns.

11. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Yeah shocking that Tillman gets a hard on from saving a few bucks, at the expense of trading a quality rotation player for scrubs and a late 1st rounder. Well played!

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is the first time in 20+ years as a Rockets fan I saw that the Rockets made a trade and without continuing on to read what we got in return, I came here to rejoice. This is a great day for the culture of the roster.

Wood needs to be with a coach who will tell him to shut the F up and be a cog in winning basketball to reach the next step. He was never going to improve behaving like the franchise player of a tanking team.

More importantly, I think Green and Sengun will benefit by eating up his shots, and KPJ will have less of that shitty energy around that can make him revert to his old self.

13. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

If ivey is bpa on their board they should take ivey. The most idiotic thing the rockets could do right now is worry about fit. If stone would pass up ivey just because of fit he should be fired immediately.

with that said I think banchero is better and think he’s the pick

Drift Monkey and raining threes like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We also got picks out of the Rob deal that helped land us Sengoat.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Agreed. Wood was toxic to our culture and a particularly bad example with KPJ here. It forces Green into the unquestioned #1 role. If we are set on drafting a PF he will benefit from the minutes as well.

Mathloom likes this.
  16. PeppermintCandy

Yeah it does feel like Houston could've gotten more out of the trade. But like I said, I'll reserve judgement for a while.

The big downside for me is that Wood was subtly good for the Rockets' tanking strategy last season. In a weird way, his ability to put up numbers while racking up losses will be missed.

OTOH I think the Rockets did Wood a solid by sending him to Dallas. I expect him to play much better and be more focused now that he's on a contending team.

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

How could the Rockets have gotten more out of the trade? They didn’t get an offer for a better draft pick. They could’ve waited and risked him getting injured or being a locker room cancer. Seems reasonable for him considering he’s a 1 year rental.

Drift Monkey and jdjd like this.
  18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Wow’ wood has basically been a 20-10 players who shot 40% from 3 the last two seasons and also added a block and a steal - all on a team friendly contract. I know the stats don’t tell the whole story, but we only get the 26th pick? I seriously overestimated his trade value. That’s the kind of deal I was expecting for Gordon.

I would look at a player like Sotto here - or try to trade up. This also would make me look more at Jovic with the 17th pick.

Overall I am not happy - it still kinda relieved that it is not our job to fix Wood anymore and look at half assed screens, stupid dribbles and shots anymore…

joshuaao and ashleyem like this.
  19. idshiy

idshiy Member

so what do we really get for this trade? you don't get a really good player at 26th...

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yeah but are the Grizzlies the shield and the NBAs favourite team and one they'll want to eliminate the old janky ass Warriors?

That's all we want to know.