1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood thinks he will be a ‘max player’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Apr 28, 2021.

?

Will Wood be a ‘max player’?

Poll closed May 28, 2021.
  1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. No but someone is going to pay him

90 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

then you're not reading enough. There's plenty of posts talking about max and big dollars. And he signed for less than 20

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is not a two year thing.

Best case scenario we land a generational talent this draft, and it's going to take three years for them to be ready to win. Not even considering our atrocious cap situation.

Factor in that it might be multiple years to land a foundational piece, you can realistically expect at least 5 years before we can maybe get back to being an elite team, and quite possibly longer.

YOLO likes this.
  3. kiwirocketsfan

From the classic movie, The Castle

Tell him he's dreaming!!

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

That’s how they end up becoming ofcourse.

5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

He is talking about when his contract is up so it seems he wants to work hard on his game and has the confidence. More power to him.

D-rock and Hank McDowell like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yep as opposed to every single guy coming onto a team and saying yeah I’m best. Y’all ain’t as good as me. Nah that doesn’t happen

7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

An average removes the outliers from the statistical point of view. So 21 pts is is a good number. Overall 52% shooting is not considered inconsistent for a C/PF that shoots a lot of 3s. He's been quite consistent scoring-wise and seems to even put up good numbers when Wall is out. There is only so much he can do when our PGs are not great playmakers.

He does need improvement to better position himself and also improve in his mid-range game.

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

His game isn’t pretty. He’s gangly and awkward, but he’s a pretty damn good player and working hard to get better. He has a lot he can improve on, but he can add a few points a game just by becoming a better free throw shooter alone, and there’s no reason why that shouldn’t happen. My primary concern is with the injuries. I don’t want ANY max player who is going to miss a lot of games, and he just looks like a walking broken leg or ankle or foot waiting to happen.

chadyang, ashleyem and harold bingo like this.
  9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yeah, he sucks. Trade him.

10. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

At which point Wood is 30 years old. What's the problem? You don't want washed-up, but you need all types on an elite team.

11. larsv8

And risk him walking for nothing in 2 years. HELL NO.

Wood will leave in 2 years to the highest bidder or too a winning team. No one wants to be on the worst team in the league.

We absolutely should not be investing big contracts in anyone right now, or the near future .

He needs to be traded for the best pick or prospect available.

Its odd people don't understand asset collection mode.

rockets1995 and YOLO like this.
  12. ballgame

ballgame Member

I agree with part of what you said but not all. I do think he will be gone to the highest bidder in 2yrs, if and only if we don't start winning. I said it before....Wood came here to win.

That's why I'm saying, we need to use our draft picks WISELY. Draft one or two players and use the other in trade to obtain a young veteran.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There was a play against the T-pups , I believe the other night that is very typical of his game - forcing shots / not making the right basketball play.

Catches the ball just beyond the FT line , inside the circle to the left a bit. Has two defenders immediately on him but forces the shot after a buncha maneuvering .... an airball which he catches - travel.

The right play was not to force the shot and swing it to the open guy .... in the right corner 3 spot.

He's got gravity but needs to learn how to take advantage of it rather than forcing poor shots.

Little Bit likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

They absolutely should

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Depends upon where we are in 2 years.

DD

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If some team offers a Top 10 pick in this year's Draft for Christian Wood. The Rockets have to take the trade.

It really disturbs me when John Wall and Christian Wood repeatedly say I am Leader, I am the Franchise Guy.

No you are not John Wall and Christian Wood.

Not for Long, This is only a Stop until you get traded within 2 years.

Really hoping Rockets keep a Top 4 Pick, so the Rockets can move those 2 Players soon.

They are honestly a headache to watch.
    Especially Wall chucking up 3s, 29 shots a Game.

#116 rockets1995, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  17. larsv8

Wood is essentially what Lowry was to us 10 years ago. Great player, wrong timeline, trade fodder.

chadyang likes this.
  18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Rockets was getting trade offers for Wood at the deadline but wouldn’t pull the trigger. He’s a wanted commodity around the league. He’s a 20-10 spread 4

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

And we sold low for Lowry. He was worth more than that FRap. I’d rather chose Lowry over Mchale. But I’m okwith it because I don’t think we get Harden without the Trade pick we sent Lowry away for

chadyang likes this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

You can probably add Tate into that category too. Im not necessarily on board with trading one or both but I definitely see the reason the Rockets would consider it. I also think that Fertitta would be aghast as that seriously derails his timeline regardless of that timelines basis in reality. But, what do you see as an acceptable package for Wood and Tate?

Me: https://tradenba.com/trades/6Ue5FwpiA