1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood thinks he will be a ‘max player’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Apr 28, 2021.

?

Will Wood be a ‘max player’?

Poll closed May 28, 2021.
  1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. No but someone is going to pay him

90 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

that doesn't really matter. nobody is saying oh I have to get injury riddled john collins this summer because were going to win right now and theres nobody else. They'll just offer smaller deals to rotational players on less years and wait for summer of 2022 which is filled with a list full of significant players

#81 YOLO, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  2. vick

vick Member

Shutup and Listen Tilman will not.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nope, he's not a max player until he improves defensively or he morphs into a 25 PPG scorer who can reliably get buckets in the 4th quarter against good teams.

4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

as opposed to who on this team?!

5. TimDuncanDonaut

He's on a team friendly deal now so I'm ok with current situation. Wood is playing up to his current contract. He has a couple more years to show growth and if he can become a near max player.

Even the Chris Bosh led Raptors were a playoff team. To be a franchise guy; have to at least drag a bad team to be a mediocre team.

Kat (2017-2018) with Butler made the playoffs at least one year in his six years tenure.

#85 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wood signed to play with Harden - let's not forget, he did not come here to be THE GUY - now maybe Wood develops into THE GUY, but more than likely he is a highly skilled role player.

DD

Le$$, 18pbr, lakersuck2 and 2 others like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Wood still has 2 years left on his deal .

He has plenty of time to make himself some money . Right now he is not . We got him for 12 . Even if we think he has improved his stock he’s not a 30-40 million dollar guy yet .

He probably has more to prove on the defensive end . Offensively he’s closer based on his skill set . But he’s not a guy that is a lead ball handler / creates . He’s a good finisher .

he can get to max but he has to have a jump (especially defensively) and other guys on the team have to be better too . Part of it is proving you can actually win games . It’s possible a **** organization will offer it regardless if he’s proven it , but they usually do that to their own guys (Minnesota)

18pbr, YOLO and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

This 1000%. Wood was brought in as a Capela with shooting, not an Anthony Davis. His ideal role is finisher, not ballhandler. He's looking worse now because he's forced to do things he can't but if we get another elite playmaker again, Wood will shine. The best thing about the quote is that he said he WILL BE a max level player, not that he IS one, meaning that he acknowledges that he has to improve his game to reach that level and will work to do so.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

give this dude a max and we’ll likely have our very own Pascal Siakam situation...Raptors fans hate him now

they’re both guys who made a big jump from fringe player to borderline All-Star in their mid-20’s

he was cool when he was 3rd fiddle, not on a max extension, and the team was competing for titles...now that the they aren’t good and he can’t live up to that extension, I see him getting destroyed constantly by Raptors fans

Wood is a 3rd option type player...trash teams like the Rockets can’t be handing guys like that a max

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Preach, brother! The last thing this team needs right now is good young talent!

11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It would take a very very unlikely improvement on both ends for him to be worth a max contract. He's not a guy that can get you buckets. He can be spoonfed around the rim, he's okay in the pick and roll (not as good as Capela was), and he has a pathetic dribble iso game. He's pretty average in the post, maybe below average, but if you put all this together on a bad team you can get over 20 ppg.

He doesn't fight very hard on rebounds, one of my biggest complaints about him. At his size, playing the 5, without any other strong rebounders on the team, his rebounding numbers leave a lot to be desired. He often doesn't box out and gets outrebounded by smaller guys, or guys that just go up harder and give more effort than him. A lot of times he won't even jump and just watches as someone on the other team grabs an offensive rebound. He's a soft rebounder.

As a passer he is non existent. Doesn't have vision or touch, unable to make plays for others, I guess he is usually smart enough to pass out of a double but typically not even good enough to find the open man. He only has 1.6 assists per game which is really low. I know not every big man can be Jokic, but if you look at other high scoring big men in the league who are stars, most of them are in the 4-6apg range.

Defensively he's just average, nothing special. Pretty good shot blocker, average rim protector for his size, gets bullied badly by stronger players which is what you'd expect with his frame.

I guess reading over my own post I'm being really hard on him, but this is only in the context of him claiming that he wants to be a max player. For 12 million a year he is great value. He is definitely outplaying his contract, and is great value at that price point. I think he could be a great third option on a really good team. Imagining his fit on some of our past teams, he could have really been great. But as a max player, I don't think so.

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think that is pretty spot on analysis. I think the Rockets might be able to afford Wood at a max contract but it would only be because KPJ and the 2021/2022 rookies are on cost controlled contracts. If the Rockets end up with pick #2 (Evan Mobley) I would trade Wood this summer for a top 10 pick and filler.

13. DonatelloLimestone

I also se Whiteside, except woods seems more self motivated.

He is obviously overplaying his contract and has his eyes as he should on his next one. The otherquestion is the reason a lot of these stars but not quite max players like Woods who are borderline all star players is because of leverage. Do we have any replacements if he leaves, is a sign and trade even viable with the percentage increase he gets or do he have any incentive to do that for us as he'll be an UFA.

In the end if he is putting up these stats but we continue to be a loser, he'll get paid somewhere, but this won't be the right place. I'm not past the idea of packaging him for another high pick this year and snag up 2 of these high level draft picks or 1 if we don't get ours.

Reeko likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't remember anybody thinking CC was going to get the Max, maybe I missed them.

This logic does not really make a lot of sense either because teams are playing and drafting less bigs.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, quite the opposite.

The Rockets desperately need good young talent....on their rookie deals....who need to be developed.

We literally have zero use for Wood. He provides nothing in the short or long term goals.

While literally young, Wood is middle age in basketball years and contract rights. Unfortunately, he just doesn't fit our timeline.

YOLO likes this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not just this team. Pistons were trash with him also. A superstar worthy of a Max would never be on a team this bad.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Couldn't disagree more. Two years from now, we don't want a team filled with rookies and 2nd- and 3rd-year guys. Unless we're trying to tank yet again, of course.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He's not a max player, but that doesn't mean a team isn't stupid enough to pay him the max.
    I don't see Wood elevating his teammates, which is what I consider to be max-worthy.
    He also doesn't have any dominant moves, he just has a good touch.

Physically he's a too frail and I doubt he'll be able to maintain the minutes and stress to his body.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member