1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood red flags?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Dec 30, 2020.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Just like there are busts that experts peg as the next great thing, they miss guys as well.

It happens and hopefully CW can continue to improve and be another great player that took a while to develop that slipped through the cracks.

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Word. New system and small sample size. Yeah, he’s gonna be out of position. Like Harden said, they’ll need reps. We finally got a young stretch big who is being touted as AD. You’ll always have contrarians.

Sep11ie likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't see this as nitpicking.

There is a legitimate question as to why Detroit let him go for this amount of money, when they are rebuilding and he is still very young, a team like Detroit usually makes the mistake of paying this guy to much money instead just letting him go.

With him also being cut by good orgs like Philly and the Bucks there has to something there and hopefully he has it all behind him but questioning why is not a nitpick.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah it is nitpicking because if these teams knew he can play this good they wouldnt have let him go.

These type of "red flag" thread wouldve made sense when Wood hadnt played yet and the Rox just signed him sight unseen. You know what a red flag is right? It's a negative indicator or warning sign. There's no point to these kinds of warnings anymore cuz not only are you committed to him now, he is playing great. Those red flags are irrelevant because not only is it not applicable to Wood now you also cant do anything about it you signed him already.

For example you have a GF and thinking of proposing and see that her entire family is a wreck and may have skeletons in the closet. That's a red flag. OTH if you already married happily for 10 yrs with 3 kids are you suddenly gonna go do a background check on your wife? So what if she stood her ex at the altar 15 yrs ago?

Wood having character issues previously is already documented. But given the way he has played the last 5 games its pretty clear those are all irrelevant now. Questioning why a crap team like Detroit let him go wont get you anywhere. This is the same org that drafted Killian Hayes with Haliburton still available.

IBTL likes this.
  5. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

He said that he was not gonna return to Detroit.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

None of that makes sense especially since Woods himself realized why he had been getting cut and oh yeah the Rockets also cut him.

Current play has nothing to do with character or character issues and it's been only 5 games what happens when teams start keying on him and those shots are not available?

Look I am very happy that we have Wood and I believe its money well spent but if you think how he has played in these 1st 5 games says anything about how irrelevant he past issues are makes zero sense.

You can poo poo it all you want but it is a legitimate question, what happens when people start getting into his ear.

FatSeagal likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It was not up to him he was a restricted FA.

They could have matched anything.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

he was unrestricted

htownrox1 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Duh!

I don't know why I keep forgetting that.

My bad, maybe he really did just want to get out of Detroit.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Detroit is the same organization that gave away Kris Middleton for Brandon Jennings and traded Luke Kennard for the 19th pick in the draft...they will pay for mediocre talent, and give away any talent that they do have for little to nothing...I really don’t take anything they do seriously nor do I take their decision making into consideration when it comes to issues with a player

there’s a reason they’ve been an atrocious organization since 2008

he just wasn’t ready when he was in Philly...he was 20 years old, and I wouldn’t even call Philly a good organization back then...they were still in the midst of tanking and trying to lose every single game with no shame

Milwaukee same thing...he was there during their ECF season in 18-19...he wasn’t ready...since then, he’s been making the most of his opportunities and balling

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think he was simply looking for a good pay day and the ability to showcase himself on a good team

Maybe if Detroit offered him something crazy that completely blew away all other offers he might’ve stayed there, but they weren’t, so why stay?

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Do you understand what a legitimate question is? The Rockets cut him before cuz he had those character issues. They gave him an offer now because he doesn't have those issues anymore. Woods himself already realized why he got cut so what's the point of rehashing it now? It's like asking Bill Gates why he dropped out of Harvard. All you're gonna get is an eyeroll because Bill Gates already proved his smarts by building Microsoft. In the same way Woods answered the questions about his lack of work ethic and character by showing up to camp, working on his game and showing up like a man possessed. Look at "character" guys like Bertans and Pascal Siakam, what did they do when they got their money? Apparently they just partied all summer cuz they started out playing like trash. So a guy like Wood working on his game when he got big money showed a lot of character cuz he could have slacked off and been lazy if he didn't have good character.

How is character issues related to shots? You are the one who isn't making any sense. So if a guy can't hit his shots suddenly his character is trash? Then Steph Curry must be total scum then he shooting 30% from 3 the prior to his last game.

Do you even know what are the issues that caused him to get cut by multiple teams? If you do list them down and explain why his current play doesn't make those irrelevant. You realize his going rate was only 13.5M per year right? We didn't sign him expecting him to be an all star or franchise player, he paid like an average starter in the league.

How will people get on his ear? You think reporters will be dumb enough to ask him "Hey Christian, how do you answer doubts about your new contract and purported character issues?" when he is averaging 23 and 10? You think that's a legitimate question? LOL

#112 roslolian, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are those the same people that are currently running Detroit?

I have no idea why you are taking this so personally it's not like people are saying he has not turned the corner it's just wondering what made Detroit back off.

Why would Philly just not keep him he was cheap and they kept all high upside guys, man you are really reaching to act like the guy has no blemishes.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude you are the one claiming that since he has performed well in the 1sty 4 games all character issues have been answered.

How does that make sense?

Homeboys get into players ears and they start believing their on clippings it's a story that has happened countless times in the NBA, see Kawhai.

Man you are all over the place, why does it bother you so much if I and others wonder what the issues actually where in Detroit, nobody is saying they will continue but for some reason you are way overheated about this.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

No, but the current people running Detroit are giving Jerami Grant 20 mil/yr. Detroit has been 1 of the worst organizations in the league for over a decade, and that looks like it’s only gonna continue. Pistons fans are furious they couldn’t retain Wood.

he was in his 1st season at age 20 when in Philly, and we already know he started out not taking the game seriously which he already acknowledged, and Philly was not a good organization back then like u claimed

not sure how anything in my post is me taking something personally...there was no emotion behind my post, it’s a simple reply

nowhere did I say he has no blemishes, I just don’t think people should be acting like Woods must really have some major issues because some horrible organization like Detroit didn’t offer him a ton in order to keep him...they are bottom tier for a reason

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My bad, I actually had you mixed up with somebody else who was taking it very personal.

I don't think he has major issues but even a terrible org does not just let young talent go and we are talking about him getting a starting spot late in the year so they trusted him somewhat.

I also think its extremely lazy to just write it off as saying the pistons just suck and nobody is saying he has major issues, certainly not me.

There is an area between he has major issues and the Pistons just suck.

Anyway I think I am done because I really like Wood and think its money well spent its just something that makes go hmmm and i think defense might have something to do with it but with that said its hard to play really hard on defense when you are going into FA and the team is losing.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

he only started 12 games, and the team went 1-11 in those 12 starts...he had a small sample size of good play, and the Pistons didn’t think he was worthy of a massive pay day based off of that

but at the end of the day, Wood was an unrestricted free agent free to go wherever he wanted...Houston was just way more appealing to him than Detroit, so unless Detroit was gonna offer him way more than we did, I don’t think he was going back

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And my question still remains why did they not offer him what we did or even more because his play then and now says it was worth it.

Nobody knows it seems why the Pistons did what they did but I think it's interesting and more than the organization is crappy IMO.

19. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Wood wanted to be on a team he considered a contender and wanted to be a starter, his goal is to be a star. It was more than just the money. He didn't see that in Detroit and we gave him a good sales pitch but it was clear to see the open slate we had with absolutely no centers on the roster last season. Detroit did the sign and trade and put more restrictions on the Ariza FRP. This helped us since we couldn't fit his complete salary under our cap, in essence they managed to get a bit more for a player that was not wanting a long term contract with them anyways. This was a brilliant trade, there were several teams that wanted him but he ultimately chose us.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No I'm curious why you are so curious. If it's a big enough issue, we would have known already. What's the point of knowing or not knowing at this point, just so you can mentally prepare yourself to keep your expectations low? I would get it if you want to dig into it if he's sucking on the court and you want to know why, but he's becoming an all star before our eyes.