1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood red flags?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Dec 30, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

napalm06 likes this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Comparing a 19 year old AD to a 25 year old CW doesn't bring much comfort to the not much strength comparison you're trying to make.

FatSeagal, Yung-T and getsmartnow like this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Lol. I wish I had that optimism.

4. blackistan

blackistan Member

Don't know about his past but looks like he's past that and focused on hooping but from watching him seems like he needs to bulk up a little and improve on defense. If he can even be close to AD that's a huge dub for us

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This. There was a really long article about this in the off-season that gives a lot more background.

The only red flag anyone has seen since signing with Houston is lack of strength.

glimmertwins likes this.
  6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Athleticism is athleticism.

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/a-bigger-better-anthony-davis-already-15-pounds-heavier-061814#:~:text=Davis ended this past season weighing in at about 220 pounds.

In 2015 AD was just 237 from 222 the year before and very likely burned some of that off in the course of the rigorous 2015 season.

2015 was AD’s first prime year.

CWood is 215 right now. I easily see him coming in at around 230 next year.

7. MystikArkitect

He's had the best start of a Rockets player since Harden.

Whats not to be optimistic about?

bobloblaw likes this.
  8. s3ts

s3ts Member

I really would like to hear more details about these alleged red flags, in all sincerity. Basic googling tells me nothing, and I don't know why these guys on the podcasts are talking about red flags when they offer even a tiny bit of info on it.

mac_got_this likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah you van't wave this away, especially on a team who had cap space and are going through a rebuild.

Also this contract was not that much of an investment, we are not talking max money.

I am very happy the Rockets got him but with Detroit facilitating a sign and trade when they had complete control has to say something.

mac_got_this likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't agree with this especially him not being quick enough to guard perimeter players, he stayed in front of Dame several times.

He should also have easily been worth 10% of Detroit's roster salary even if for future draft capitol.

He is a much better defender than Lou Will and is at least a poor mans AD.

Nook likes this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah that’s why I made the thread. They peaked my interest but didn’t really dive into it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Detroit hasn't made an intelligent basketball decision in 15 years. I'm not worried about it

Blake, hakeem94 and clos4life like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Its real simple to wave off the decision making history of a team but Detroit is usually the team that gives a guy like this 20 million than not pay them at all.

Nook likes this.
  14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Why didn’t CWood come in at 220/225/230 this year?

15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Why would he?

He just had his best season and did it as a two-way player.

Again, the guy is already a good defender, and offensive player. This thing about strength is really overblown.

I don’t even think posters here understand strength.

Christian Wood IS strong. He’s clearly strong I believe. He’s stronger than Kevin Durant ever was even lacking the extra 10-15 pounds KD has. He’s just not big.

The guy is amazing at getting to the line, finishing through contact and still rebounds well. Those are not things guys who lack strength do.

jacoby and hakeem94 like this.
  16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I wasn’t outright questioning his strength. You said you could see him come in weighing heavier next year and I assume you’re attributing this to him getting stronger rather than fatter. My question is why next year? Why not this year or last year?

Yung-T and LorneMalvo like this.
  17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Wood had 21 pts 12 rebs 3ast 2 blks and +13 plus minus on 64 FG% in a win tonight.

I think he'll be fine and develop nicely.

#77 OkayAyeReloaded, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    SuperKev and jacoby like this.
  18. Mr Striker09

Mr Striker09 Member

I mainly think bc the coach of the pistons didnt play him much in crunch time, cause of his defense and Wood was taking that and wants big minutes and start.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Harden was force feeding him a lot of times, he still managed to somehow score some of the tougher baskets

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm not the poster you're quoting, but I'll try to answer for them.

It takes time to build strength - it's hard to see physical improvement immediately, and it'll probably take even longer for it to show up on the basketball court. So next year is perfectly valid.

As to why not last year or years past? Honestly, I think it's because he's never had a good guide or staff to teach him. Before his breakout last year in Detroit, he's played for Philly, Charlotte, Milwaukee and NO.

Philly (2015) had Embiid at that point but no Simmons. Embiid missed the whole season with an injury, so the 76ers were moreso tanking the season than hoping someone like Wood would develop into a good player. Wood played 17 games for them.

Charlotte (2016): not sure why they didn't develop Wood, to be honest.

Milwaukee (2017): They had a roster ready to contend seriously for the title. Wood probably couldn't find time in the rotation, and thus didn't develop well. Milwaukee also couldn't waste any time bringing someone along when they already have championship aspirations.

NO (2018): not sure why they didn't develop Wood.

Det (2019): Wood balled out, but relied on his basketball strengths to show out...and not his actual strength (or lackthereof).

NotInMyHouse likes this.