1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood red flags?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Dec 30, 2020.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Don't care about all of that, I think the red flag is his defense and general basketball IQ. He's already all star level on offense, haven't seen such a versatile player at his height that isn't an All NBA player. He's like a 8.5 on offense and like a 3.5 on defense, which is why we got him for cheap. It's Silas' job now to work the lineups and defensive schemes to cover his weakness.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

3 year deals are minimum risk.

DD

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I am sure Harden will show him around...

4. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

There's also speculation he didn't really want to stick around in Detroit. If true, I'm sure there's a price that could have changed his mind but it might have been a good bit higher than the 3/41 deal he got from the Rockets.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Like about a million other talented young guys, he left college too soon. Unlike most of them, he battled and fought his way through it and overcame the things that were holding him back. He wasn’t ready for the NBA game. It seems like now he is. The fair question now is has he really matured, has he really overcome those issues, or will he regress now that he has the big contract. Time will tell. I happen to believe in the guy though. I guess we’ll see!

King1, BigggReddd, Blake and 3 others like this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Christian Wood is right in that he wants to be one of the Top Players in the Offense built for him and his fit.

Christian has said Stephen Silas is one of the reasons he wanted to play for Stephen.
    Stephen told Christian, he wants Christian to play the Porzingis role. Christian skills resembles Porzingis. 3 Point shooting Center and can create for themselves on offense.

Demarcus Cousins has said its his job to mentor Christian into a All NBA Defensive Player. If Demarcus sees something in him defensively in Christian it's possible. Hopefully Christian improves his strength like Anthony Davis.

s3ts, lilbird20 and Deckard like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I put zero stock in the decision making of an organization like Detroit

there’s a reason they’ve been consistently trash since like 2008

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Already better than Clint Capela in getting a Block against a Point Guard

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

As @Boston84 mentioned in post #5

Coming out of college Wood had all the potential to be very good in the NBA; but maturity was and has been an issue.
    Many feel that basketball is not his top focus.

I believe his priorities are getting figured out now and he is beginning to see how this game can open up so many
    avenues in life.....and he is just tapping into that stream.

His background is a little different than those of Kawme Brown or A Wiggins where they were top draft picks
    that underachieved. Wood was undrafted and may have opened his eyes recently.

Now who he hangs out with I do not know? Aaron Hernandez proved, that can be another story for another day.

Boston84 likes this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Can you link the sources you have that says the reason Detroit didn't resign him wasn't because he told Detroit he wanted to sign somewhere else? I didn't listen to the podcast so if it is in there I apologize. I am just wondering why, unless you have some sort of source, that you assume he did not just tell them he wasn't going to resign.

FatSeagal likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wood has made a great impression on me with his play. As far as I'm concerned, he has a clean slate as a Rocket and he's given me no reason to buy the noise I'm hearing now.

DreamQuake likes this.
  12. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

He didn't want to play for Detroit, he said something along the lines of wanting to play for a winning team.He still raw and will get better. I can understand the Maturity issues in the past and how it was a red flag, sometimes ppl have to go through some bad experiences for them to mature.For example boogie, wood being bounce around the league probably humbled and matured him.Plus he will have Silas and Lucas help guide him in the right direction and will be a support system.

BamBam and Drift Monkey like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Makes too many 3s. Red flag!

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The reason is that they are the Pistons lol Just like New York is New York. Detroit is gonna Detroit lol

banzai likes this.
  15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Detroit didn't have a chance to sign him

16. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

So, we’re already getting ready for his past regardless of how he’s performing? I could care less if he’s putting up his current numbers. I haven’t no evidence except hearsay.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Orange flag at worst.

Had issues with Drummond too.

He doesn't look shabby.

#37 daywalker02, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  18. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

The guy isn’t even close to a bad defender.

He had long stretches last year rating out elite actually by some metrics.

Anthony Davis first 3 games have been worse defensively. It’s a small sample size.

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Knock on Wood (pun intended) the red flags are behind him!

[​IMG]

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob and raining threes like this.