1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is SOFT thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H. Christopher, Dec 10, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would just like to try to take away that spin, with shorter quicker players, let him shoot over the top, and yeah, he is going to get his......just would like to keep him away from extra shots or the rim, if possible.....at least occassionally.

DD

2. TimDuncanDonaut

Wood is a good player; one of the best on this team.

That said there's levels to this.

Wood - age 26
    Jokic - age 26
    Giannis - age 27

We'd be worst without him, but he's not a near max player.

3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Yeah he’s soft….but unfortunately we need to show case his charmin @$$ to net the best trade package available.
    The sooner the better so we can unleash SenGod!

jcmoon and aaquaa like this.
  4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Wood is soft (and does not set screens, does not pass well etc. I agree with all of these), yes but that's not really news. I think Wood is okay. He certainly is not an allstar and will not be one. But he has good production. His softness is a weakness that must be solved by Silas.

And if there is a good offer on the table, he can be traded. In the scenario we trade Wood, who do you think would better fit Sengun?

I also think that we have more systematic issues with closing games. Somehow we forget how we played winning team basketball up to that point, ball movement stops, hero ball comes in. Having no true pg does not help either. Tonight it was Wood's turn for the hero ball, together with his defensive softness it was very bad but it will always be somebody if we continue play hero ball to finish games.

aaquaa likes this.
  5. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

The Wood doesn't know how to bang down low. End of story

cmoak1982 and aaquaa like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

They put a small man on Wood too. I keep saying this is Wood's 2nd yr playing full time.....Big men take time to develop.

D-rock likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It'll be a mistake.

D-rock likes this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't have a problem with his giving up points to Giannis after all who the heck can stop him? My problem is with the coach saying he couldn't play senguin bc they had Giannis at the 5. It's not like wood did any better job then he could. Atleast senguin was scoring

9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

He's not soft. I actually think this season he's banging more down low and plays really hard on D.

Giannis is just better than him (by a lot), which isn't a huge surprise. Giannis dominated AD earlier this year, so Wood's in good company.

Wood's game has flaws. By now we know that. Ideally, Wood is a supporting player on a good team. He's closer to John Collins or Jarrett Allen than Giannis. That's still a player making 20-30M a year, so it's not a knock on him. But it does mean that treating him like Durant late in close games is stupid, and that there will be games where he's outmatched.

Weird to say, but I actually thought Nwaba gave Giannis the toughest time on D. He played really scrappy, and his aggressive fronting made it more difficult to get Giannis the ball. Giannis still scored on Nwaba, but there were a few possessions where he really frustrated the entry pass and we came away with the ball on a broken bucks possession.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

PEOPLE! The Rockets had the smaller team on the court, the Bucks ran Giannas and Portis.

Wood is the line Rocket big on the court, he needs a bigger player next to him. Tate is too small. I love Tate's game but he needs to come off the bench. Until the Rockets get a bigger player who can play off Wood OR until Sengun improves his stamina, learn to stay out of foul trouble and improves his 3 point shot, the Rockets will continue to get pounded inside against the bigger teams.....CASE CLOSED!

D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Some of you are nuts.

He is a HIGHLY SKILLED player, not a banger, but he can hit the 3ball, he can rebound like mad, and he can be an off ball shot blocker from the weakside.

He is NOT a traditional big center - his frame will never handle that, but he is a major advantage on the offensive end, and is not bad on defense.

And, he is not soft, he is just not a bruiser.

Eventually he and Sengun will be playing together......you will come around.

DD

D-rock and The Cat like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Finally, someone who knows basketball!! You saw the same thing I saw. Wood had 21/13 tonight and he did not play well....I'LL TAKE THAT ALL DAY, EVER DAY!

Fans forget, the Bucks played Portis and Giannas, we played Tate, along side Wood. Tate is good, he's gritty but he should be a roll player, not a starter.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  13. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Soft as Charmin toilet paper

aaquaa likes this.
  14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Wood set those fake screens for his teammates. Lol

palmsnbananas likes this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Wood is gonna either need to play the 4 or be traded because Sengun is going to need to start and consistently play 30+ mins at some point relatively soon.

If Wood and Sengun can't play together then you trade Wood.

If they can then it's ok that Wood is a little soft since Sengun would be more of a center.

jcmoon likes this.
  16. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yup let him get his numbers up. Would like another #15 Sengun-like pick.

aaquaa likes this.
  17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He’s trying too much to be someone else he’s not. These comparisons really messes up a players mind. He thinks he’s KD.

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Co-signed

aaquaa likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Giannis was also defending Tate most of the game, he didnt want to defend Wood or Sengun either.

Coaches were trying to keep their best scorers out of foul trouble.

Most of you are savvy enough to understand this but you needed a scapegoat after the first loss.

Or worse, the trade Wood narrative was bidding it's time so they could preach their truth.

Wood did not play well but he also helped keep team in the game the first half.

Enjoy yet another one of your stupid threads bashing one of our best players.

cmoak1982, The Cat and DaDakota like this.
  20. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Wood has to have his cake and eat it too.
    With the 5 men out system he has a blank check from Silas for 3-pt.ers that he can cash anytime he wants, but if (and only if) he decides to take it inside he also needs to have all the space he needs.
    I don't think this is an efficient system; it's more like catering to one player's stats.
    This is a large part of the reason why the two-big lineup doesn't work: You have this player who's said to be #5 but never plays at the right position, neither on offense nor on defense. What's worse, if you play him with another big, his efficiency drops.
    ... But he gives you 20/10 most games!
    Happy?

mirdirir likes this.