1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is not a franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Feb 25, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why because everybody is not ready to claim Wood is a top 20 NBA player?

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Look at yourselves that's why.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So me liking a player on my team but saying I need to see more makes me a crappy fan.

Seems legit.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

winning streak facing decimated scrub teams with the team shooting out of its mind and having 48 point quarters...u really fell for that fluke

freaking John Wall was shooting over 43% from 3 during that streak, that’s how fake it was

we are the worst shooting team in the league, but shot miracle percentages for 6 games while fully healthy facing bad teams and/or teams missing multiple starters...anyone paying attention knew that streak wasn’t impressive at all and was never gonna last, but u decided to sip the koolaid

jiggyfly and YOLO like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

the real miserable ones are the ones who constantly hated the team while we were actually good...the ones who only showed up after losses to trash the squad...

sydmill, jiggyfly and YOLO like this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I think it's unfair to say whether he is or isn't. He's only played 17 games in a Rockets uniform, and he's averaging 22/10. The Rockets only win when he's on the floor. Give the dude time, he very well could be a franchise player.

The dudes' eFG% is also a whopping 62%. You could theoretically get more production out of him before that efficiency looks unappealing

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Agreed Wood is not a franchise player. He cannot create his own shot well enough so he's a finisher. His ceiling is a #2 option on a championship team but I would imagine he might only reach being the 3rd best player on a championship team. That is why we need to tank and draft a true #1 player in the next 2 seasons.

Mr Woods likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

No need to victimize yourself boss - you are entitled to your opinions as is everyone else here.

You initiated this convo as you have others that you seem to take an aggressive approach with (remember the KPJ support in HOU vs CLE discussion we had) so if you dont like my type of debate then dont respond to me. No need to aggravate your life.

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

I never mentioned KAT. I did say that a team that's best player is Wood is maxing themselves out at a 4-6 seed. You disagree that that would be their best case?

Bosh's Tornonto team's best playoff seed was 3rd. They were also a 6 seed once. Otherwise they missed the playoffs during his tenure (theres a reason he went to Miami). I described a team with Wood as its best player as fighting to make the playoffs. A team with Wood as its 3rd best player as a super team. So I feel like that type of impact is very Chris Bosh-ish. Again, you're free to disagree.

I attempted to be clear that my impression was based on Wood actually maintaining this level of play (Examples: the kind of player he is (or at least can be), if he can sustain this level of play).

I think Aldridge was a competent sidekick. He abused us in the 2014 playoffs.

JayGoogle and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the main point is the team is MUCH better with him, that, so far, is undeniable.

That's still a huge improvement.

Trey Young has the same impact, along with most other young players. Young Durant, Harden, etc etc were all dragging teams barely into the playoffs.

This is NOT to say that Wood is that, but if a young player is dragging a bad team to an 8th seed that is nothing to sneeze at or hand wave away.

If you take Luka off the Mavericks right now they'd be a garbage team too.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

You’re talking about barely dragging teams into the playoffs while I’m talking about missing the playoffs as a 10th or 11th seed, because that’s what this team is with Wood.

13. thekad

thekad Member

Unlikely for a big man to be a superstar player if he’s not a good defender nor a excellent playmaker - and Wood is neither.

He probably tops out as an All-Star caliber talent, top 30 player. Good enough to be #3 on a championship team or #2 on a truly stacked squad.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF?

I am not the one saying I don't like this type of debate you are the one complaining.

You caught feelings in the the other thread as well all because I did not praise KPJ and "Gasp" questioned his ability to get his life together.

You are one clutching pearls not me.

You don't aggravate me at all but for some reason if anybody says anything not positive it sure aggravates you.

The question was is Wood a franchise player and I answered and for some reason that bothered you, maybe you need to avoid these types of threads.

15. HROZ

HROZ Member

I said I could see him.
    Such a small sample size but the numbers he was putting up early were incredible.

Defensive +/- was liking him too.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No you never mentioned KAT both those are his statistics and his teams have been lottery bound so why would that change?

Bosh actually did make the playoffs and he is a much better player than Wood and I would say it's up for debate if was not the actual 2nd best player on those teams especially after that 1st year.

I think you are underestimating the impact of Bosh he is a HOF player and it's a slap in the face to put Wood on that level IMO.

Aldridge never made it out of the 2nd round is that a contender?

I am not knocking you about what you think Wood's ceiling can be but that's a very small sample size (Wood) and not using what their prime years were as a benchmark.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I wasnt bothered at all. I responded with my opinion and tried to give my best feedback with the data available and my bball eye test developed over 30 years of watching Rockets basketball. You insist on speculation and pessimism and again thats ok - this is funny actually how you try to spin this in my direction as if Im the one with the issue!

You had said "how do you know Cleveland doesnt have support for KPJ but HOU does blah blah blah" and just a few days ago information gets circulated that JB Bickerstaff was one of the proponents of KPJ to Houston because of the John Lucas factor.

Im not gloating, but using the same logic as "you get mad if anyone says anything contrarian" well YOU could also be wrong at times. No?

Its really not that big a deal. EVERYONE is spitballing.

18. riko

riko Member

They beat a few bad teams and people thought oh yeah the Rockets are flying. What you are seeing now is what this team truly is based on talent

#118 riko, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  19. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I don’t think a team with Christian Wood as its second best player is a 4-6 seed. Especially if the star Wood is playing with is not an ELITE playmaker that can hit him in PnRs and throw lobs.

Unlike Bosh and Aldridge, Wood is a terrible one on one player. Whereas Bosh and Aldridge were both guys you can dump the ball to in the low post and around the elbow, and it was practically automatic.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you can't discredit good things and escalate bad things to build a narrative that fits your opinion. no one will take you serious.