1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is not a franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HP3 likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does that have to do with anything?

You act like we are talking about James Harden here.

I don't know why me wanting to see him play at least 50 games and have teams gameplan for him bothers you so much.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Doesn't bother me at all - just in the same way people saying he has the "stuff" shouldnt bother you when there is actual data to back it up VS going with YOUR "gut instinct" and any other trivial fan benchmarks.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So its ok to speculate if Cade has HF potential but its not ok to speculate about Wood's potential?

Actually the future of this franchise rests on people determining the ceiling of wood and how we should or should not build with him in mind.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

those bad teams were missing key players and the teams we are playing now are not, so yeah the argument does work, we also beat some of those teams without him, so how does that figure in?

We should have plenty of time to gather the relevant data.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It does not bother me at all, I was just stating my opinion of him and you started to feel some kind of way.

Aren't we here to discuss our opinions?

It's hilarious that you think playing in less than 20 games is some kinda data point.

I am not using my gut instinct, I have not even said what I think his ceiling is because I have not seen him play enough, I am just pushing back on the top 20 player talk and the 2nd guy on a championship team talk.

Is that ok with you?

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hey when CWood flourishes all you have to say is "glad I was wrong" Amirite?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I was just giving an example that it doesn't matter when you acquire your top 3 players, just that you do. It's not like GSW acquired Durant first, then Curry, then Klay. The order is not as important as just getting them period.

Are we not missing key players throughout this stretch? Why don't we get that same argument then?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

He's definitely a player who plays for an NBA franchise, all right.

Technically the truth

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was not the one bringing up a streak, you can argue how you want.

The other poster was using these streaks as point when the winning streak was going on without him.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude what is your problem?

He is already flourishing I made a thread about how I see a lot of KAT in his game and think he can be that kind of player.

Why does it have to be all or nothing with you, if I am saying tap the brakes with the accolades, that means I think he is crap?

I like Wood, I think he is a good player I just want to see more before I am saying he is a Top NBA player.

sydmill likes this.
  12. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I’m high on Haliburton as well. I agree with you that he’s the best rookie in this draft.

However, I think because of De’aaron Fox, Sacramento could view Haliburton as expendable since they play the same position.

Also, this kinda proves my point of this entire thread. If we can’t even get Haliburton, an unproven rookie, in a straight swap for Wood, there’s no way I’m forfeiting the chance of drafting Cade for this dude. Or even forfeiting the 2022 draft to compete for an 8th seed with Wood to make him happy.

13. sydmill

sydmill Member

Since Christian Wood is, undeniably, the Rockets best player this is a topic worth delving into. It's pretty obvious that this thread has turned into asking 2 different, albeit related, questions:

1) How good is Wood?
    His career per 36 numbers of 22/11 shooting 55% (38% from 3) seem to justify the belief that what we have all seen this season in his games is the kind of player he is (or at least can be). I think he is good enough to be the second best player on a legit title contender. If he is your best player then you probably max out as a playoff team fighting to get home court (a 4-6 seed max). If he is your third best player then you are probably a super team or a team on the cusp of being a title favorite. So, yeah, Chris Bosh-ish.

2) Does Wood fit the Rocket's window
    Lamarcus Aldridge's best statistical season was his age 28 or 29 season and he posted a near 20/10 season at 33 playing 30+mins/game for 81 games. Chris Bosh's final season was his age 31 season and he averaged 19/7 while shooting 47%. That is pretty much in line with his career averages of 19/8.5 as a career 49% shooter. Obviously injuries happen and Wood does not seem to be the type who will avoid them at the moment. However, barring something catastrophic, if he can sustain this level of play then there is reason to think he could be this good for another 6 or so seasons. 6 seasons is plenty for him to bridge the Harden to whoever gap and still have a few seasons as a more than competent sidekick.

charlieaustin, Mr Woods and BigM like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Of all the posts, I tend to agree with this one.

In brighter moments, I find myself saying our ceiling is only limited by its vertical distance to our floor.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

doesn't matter we were in the top 8 at the time with momentum. and speaking of teams, we can't beat anybody right now so that proves my point, we were beating somebody's all the way to a winning record and top 8.

16. ipaman

we can't beat trash/decimated teams without him so that proves my point big brain. fully healthy wood can carried this group to 7th/8th those are facts.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol...no, those are delusions

with Wood - miss the playoffs

without Wood - bottom of the league

18. ipaman

I just want to add... I know not everyone here are Rox fans but damn, we got some shitty ones for sure. Well not really fans, just downright miserable c*nts. Fun at parties, all of 'em!

19. ipaman

with wood - winning streak pushing team in to playoff position.

without wood - losing streak plunging team in the standings.

both of those are facts and you can't deny that. that's not how facts work.

JayGoogle likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The 1st one is KAT yet they are fighting to get to the playoffs every year, why is Wood different?

Bosh was a above average defender and would be a MVP type if he was playing now, look at Bosh in Toronto.

How can you say he is a more than competent sidekick with such a small sample size against career scoring averages on 10 + years?

Was Aldridge actually a competent sidekick?