1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is a Rocket (UPDATE : Yes -- it's true)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Nov 20, 2020.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would seriously look into a trade of Westbrook and Gordon plus the Detroit Picks and Portland picks to the Wizards for
    Wall, Rei and Bryant.

This would be the trade to try for.
    It creates around 7m in space.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Some of you think Tucker is going to last in this league forever. His value is at its highest now and needs to be traded. The Lakers have gotten better. Even the Pelicans. He needs to be traded before the season starts, along with Westbrook.

Will Harden suit up if he's not traded? He might not. If the Rockets have a losing season Tucker's value is shot. If Harden is staying then he needs youth, height and athleticism around him. Like Kyle Kuzma. Tucker is most likely one of the players who wants out anyway.

Y2JT, gatsby, Rudyc281 and 5 others like this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

PJ Tucker is 36 years old, enough is enough. Aaron Gordon that can create their own shot and run the floor.

PJ Tucker misses Layups that look so comical. 5 points in a Elimination game versus the Lakers. He never steps up and doesn't put points against LeBron.

Basketball has evolved into Unicorns.

Kristaps Porzingis, Anthony Davis, Christian Wood is the Future.

Y2JT, gatsby, HardenVolumeOne and 7 others like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am actually pretty surprised at this development

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Ya, I like Tucker but his value after this season is a vet minimum role player. He would be great coming in off of the bench for about 20 minutes per game but his game is too limited for a starting role. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rockets trade PJ and let his next team worry about his next contract. I think Philly and the Nets would have interest but they might refuse unless he is part of a Harden trade. The Bucks have been rumored to have interest but what would they give up in the trade?

6. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

Watching his highlights on YouTube, and other reactions like most Rockets fans, and this popular youtuber named Extra Krispy a Pistons fan, gives his reaction and he's basically in tears.. never seen that reaction from a player that wasn't HOF or all-star level.. Looking like a diamond in the rough

rockets1995 and D-rock like this.
  7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Good luck finding anyone to replace Tucker on the defensive end. He’s also incredibly smart and a leader in the locker room. You trade him and don’t get anything like him back. Yeah that would be a disaster. Harden is what 31 years old? His window to win is now. Hence why he wants out.

#587 ksny15, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    pr0wler, Rudyc281, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

P.J. Tucker is not a star, but he’s absolutely worth more than a veteran’s minimum contract after the season. He’s one of the best and most versatile defenders in the entire NBA, as he is effective at guarding on the perimeter and in the post. That is not easy to find and is worth more than a veteran minimum salary.

jiggyfly, Rudyc281, ksny15 and 3 others like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

You are wrong about a lot here dude. Did you really just say PJ Tucker doesnt step up??????

ksny15 likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We need wing defenders. Tucker should be a bench piece who plays 24 minutes a night at this point, but we simply don’t have the depth for him to have that role.

If we’re trying to compete, it’s hard to see it making sense to move him unless we’re getting an equally good defender/3PT to replace him. That isn’t Aaron Gordon, nor is it any available FA.

If we aren’t trying to compete go ahead and trade him for whatever value he can.

11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

IMO he’s too old for a 4yr/40m salary or anything like that. I also have a feeling that his toughness hides injuries so who really know how many years he has left. He might be worth the TPMLE but I don’t think any contender would offer him the NTPMLE. He isn’t a player who can help a non-contender so his market is pretty limited. Only a handful of teams are at the point where PJ can take them over the top and those teams don’t have money. Those teams also probably already have a starting 4 or 5 that is better than PJ so he would be coming in off of the bench as a role player.

12. riko

riko Member

Unlike Dwight and Clint this guy has actual offensive skills. He can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot . He also sets some nice picks and instinctively attacks as a roller which bodes well with James as a pick and roller.

He also can be used as an pick and pop option with James. Most importantly you can throw the ball into him and he will get you a bucket. We now have an actual big man with size who can get his own shot. He will also generate doubles because he is good enough to beat most bigs on single coverage.

We have not had a big like him who can be a legit low post threat since Yao. Hopefully Silas will use him a lot like he used the big Latvian beast in Dallas.

Their offensive games are similar in a lot of ways.

#592 riko, Nov 21, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

PJ is a non stats star. He is criminally underrated and appreciated by fans and the FO. He does so much **** on the court the casual fan doesn’t pay attention to because it doesn’t show up on the stat sheet.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

It amazes me taht Tucker was probably our highest rated player by net rating in the playoffs last year and you guys STILL underrate him man.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

But no defense against an Anthony Davis... yet

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I believe that RoCo had best net rating.

RoCo also had 2nd best PER for Rockets in playoffs (not counting Clemons and his garbage time minutes).

#596 D-rock, Nov 21, 2020
    HP3 likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree....d with this. Hes getting older and as his quickness goes, his poor offense becomes more of a liability. He is a situational player and not a starter at this stage of his career.

Y2JT and clos4life like this.
  18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You’re right that nobody is signing a player of Tucker’s age to a four year, $40 million contract. However, I don’t see why Tucker can’t get a deal similar to the one JaMychal Green signed in Denver (2 years for 15 million), and even getting the non-taxpayer MLE is more than a veteran’s minimum contract.

D-rock likes this.
  19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I like PJ and love what he brings to the Rockets. I’m just being realistic on his age and market value. Like I said, only a handful of teams would really benefit from adding PJ and those teams do not have money in FA.

For example, if you put PJ on the Magic then he isn’t going to make them a top 4 team in the East. But, if you put him on a team like the Nets then he can help them go from top 4 in the east to the best team in the East.

Y2JT, HP3, clos4life and 1 other person like this.
  20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Tuck wants a raise, not 2 more years at the same or lower salary. It’s a headache that I can see the Rockets wanting to avoid.