1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

They’re pretty similar. The biggest difference is that KAT takes 4 - 5 more shots a game. Let Wood shoot 17 - 18 shots a game and he’d average around 22 - 23 points or so.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to say the same thing! LOL

D-rock likes this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's his NEXT phase. Remember, this is his2nd season starting full time and last yr he played maybe 60% of the season. I think next yr will tell more.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes a fantastic player! he just needs a better coaching to keep him under control and better system to play in... he needs to get the ball in his spots...
    hes not harden to dribble the ball all over the court and crossover people a lot...hes just not that guy and when he tries to be that hes not good, our offense is stagnant and he looks terrible

Htown Stros likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if you have a good coach that can reign him in and set him up with the ball in his spots then yes

#765 hakeem94, Dec 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Htown Stros likes this.
  6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Right I guess I should have said one of his worst shooting performances but still played well

D-rock likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Seriously… people just disregard putting up numbers and being available for season after season.

Wood and KAT are both 26… the former has put up 10WS throughout their career and the latter has put up 59WS.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

KAT has tons of more mileage.

Wood is getting better but he is a product of the system. KAT is lifting the system.

KAT's Offense is phenomenal but his D seems to be stagnating.

D-rock likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

I mean they were drafted in completely different places with different expectations, especially when the franchise center is supposed to play defense.

KAT is still an overall better player despite the waning defense… which is still better than Wood based off the advanced metrics.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, they are also paid differently. ;)

I think Wood deserves to make 22-25 million per year but I can see him wanting close to 30 or even more.

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Paid differently due to production over time.

I’d be surprised if Wood doesn’t go for all the money he can after signing such a team friendly “prove it” deal.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think Myles Turner is the better fit in Golden State. I also think that Pascal Siakam fits them better. This creates a conundrum and likely lowers CW's value there. Those two are both more proven than CW and have more of a defensive reputation. The Warriors don't particularly need a front court creator (where CW probably has the edge), but rather tough switchable defenders who can spread the floor seem to be their biggest need.

IF Kuminga isn't on the table, I'd prefer the Rockets keep Christian for now and trade him between now and 2023 deadline if an extension cannot be agreed upon..

A major hurdle with the CW situation is that the Rockets can only offer 120% increase for the initial year and 8% increases each year after for up to five years total (including the years left)

So let's say CW and the Rockets wanted to work something out. His base salary next year is $14,317,459, we will start from a place of easy math at $14.3 M. He cannot sign an extension this season because the deadline has passed for players not in their final year of their contract (October 18, 2021).

Year 1 : $14.3 (final year of current contract 2022/23 season)
    Year 2 : $17.16
    Year 3: $18.53
    Year 4 : $20.2
    Year 5 : $21.62

Is that enough to get CW to agree to an extension or does he roll the dice?

I hope those conversations are happening now. I would absolutely love CW here at that rate. I have no idea if he's open to that kind of extension. If he's not, the Rockets retain his bird rights and can offer a 5 year max when he is an UFA but there is absolutely no assurances there and spending that kind of money on CW isn't ideal if you want to build a contender.

It's easy to say NO WAY CW would take that deal but we have no idea. I thought he was worth a lot more when he signed for $13M and he seems to be very happy here.

D-rock, cdxiong, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically he cannot really prove it because he was brought in to semi lead this team with Harden to be a contender.

Not just a playoff contender.

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wood would be extremely foolish to turn down 25 million a year. Just ask Nerlens Noel or Dennis Schroder.

a 4 year 100 million extension is great for both parties. Wood earning already over 150 million, his grand-grand kids are set for life.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

“Prove it” as in being good enough to get a bigger contract. Wood has been a journeyman before finally “getting it” in Detroit.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

4 Year $100 M is not possible.

The Most the Rockets can extend him next year is 4 years $77.51M.

It's the downside of his bargain contract.

Does he accept 5 Years - $125M in UFA from the Rockets is the question if it's a $25M base level contract. This all needs to be ironed out quickly so the Rockets can work to continue to build out their future team.

D-rock, Bo6 and xaos like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Detroit knew he was at least a 18 and 8 player......it was pretty clear but they chose to go into total rebuilding which was fair.

You do not want that contract hanging over you, no matter if he is worth it.

Got rid of Griffin.

Both did go their respective way.

18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

If he holds out for big money he might end up in a Schroder situation tbh. Until Wood has years of proven starter quality in his resume, he'll likely have to accept lower than what he wants. The only exception being if he emerges as a legit All-star, then he'll get paid.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he keeps up the 16-11 or there abouts, he will get paid.

DD

20. dmoneybangbang

My point is the Rockets got him on a good deal because of his journeymen history/character issues.

If Wood puts up good numbers (1 year in Detroit and 2 years here), I doubt he signs another friendly deal when he has the opportunity to get more.