1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

You really are clueless.

That's not me at all.

2. dmoneybangbang

6 wins, including against the murderous row of OKC, Magic, and Pelicans.

Of course you are excited to merely win… while I want to get back to era of guaranteed playoffs berths.

jim1961 likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Honey….we all see how you fall in love with players….

You just made Matthews borderline untouchable.

4. dmoneybangbang

Honey… the board knows your MO….

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could that also be true due to position he plays?

AD was without a doubt a top talent but his impact was negligible when he was with NOP.

Guard play in modern NBA is king.

csnerd84 and BallaDoc like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Oh boy…. We are back to Wood and AD again…

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets would have to sign Mathews first before they can trade him.

And of course you dont trade Mathews if trade even possible, he has been instrumental for optimizing the spacing and conducive to win streak.

That you don't understand importance of critical role players is why I question your poor takes on the subject.

raining threes and BallaDoc like this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

2020/2021

Wood
    PER : 42nd
    BPM : 59th
    VORP : 77th
    RAPTOR: 55th
    WAR : 96th
    TS% : 72nd
    EFG% : 38th

Much better than this seasons year long numbers but still not seeing a no doubt top 25 guy. Possibly fringe top 50….

9. dmoneybangbang

Like I said… I came more about building the foundation for guaranteed playoff berths. I would love to keep Matthews but that’s not how acquiring true franchise players works.

Matthews is killing it on his two way contract but there are no untouchable players when you are the 5th worst team.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t think that’s accurate.

Just looking at 17/18 AD in NO was 11th in RAPTOR AND 7th in WAR. 9th in BPM, 5th in VORP.

Very high impact.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. NewAge

NewAge Member

another playoff flame-out
    Spida-Gobert documented frictions
    Spida wants out

D-rock likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...bron-james-for-no-1-any-rookies-make-the-cut/

They had Christian Wood ranked at 54 before the season began. I see about 5 guys who haven't even played ahead of him. I don't have a problem with moving him up above those guys. However, I can't find anyone ranked ahead of him on that list that I don't agree with. Additionally, there are a few guys ranked behind him (Lonzo Ball and Anthony Edwards jump out) that took major steps forward this season and I'd put both of them ahead of him.

I think it's fair to say he's right around the #50 spot give or take a couple spots. Any talk of him being top 25 is just crazy talk.

Anyhow, I do think they should look hard at moving him at the deadline but that's because I believe we will either have to pay him too much to stay or he'll just leave us outright to join a better team when his contract expires in a year and a half. The one thing we cannot afford is to get no return when he leaves. If the Rockets can begin discussing extension with him now and get him at the right price, then I have no problem with them extending him. If he's on a good contract (even if nowhere near as good as his current), we'd always be able to move him later if needed. I just don't want to entertain a conversation about giving him the max. And I don't want to lose him for nothing at all.

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

There's plenty of guys I'd rank him over from that list, particularly if we continue our current lineup. I'd rank him above Smart, Vucevic, MPR, Siakam, Hayward, etc. If he continues his 23 - 24 and 13 - 14 average, which he may with the new lineup, he's slot in easily in the Top 20 - 30 IMO, if not higher.

14. dmoneybangbang

Consistency and availability matter. Hayward is an interesting comparison in terms of impact and availability, he’s more of a floor raiser than Wood is as of now.

Wood certainly does have potential to shoot up, but he also has a history to suggest otherwise.

raining threes likes this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Do you think he will continue? What do you think he averages over the next 9 games? Our strength of schedule is significantly different than it has been last 6 games (taking into consideration he hurt his ankle).

D-rock likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Good question. I have no idea. I do think removing Theis and starting Mathews has made a massive difference for Wood. We'll see if it continues.

raining threes and xaos like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You've developed a plan for the future of the Rockets?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Put your your best players in positions to succeed and develop your young players. Keep adding complementary players via FA, draft or trade.

But if I'm trading away one of team's best players then there must be a plan in place and strategy to achieve those goals.

I am not the one suggesting Rockets trade away a young player because he may not fit a rookie's timeline or window.

Per McMahon, FO is not actively trying to trade away Wood as CF insists so the point is moot.

raining threes and DaDakota like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Interesting to see if numbers move up, stay same or move down by end of this season.

Wood has only been a starter for half a season.

But agree, those numbers are not good.

20. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Thanks
    for that reason I hope wood refocuses just efforts. He is not gonna earn max money by creating on his own, leading the break, and distributing. He’s an elite finisher. Yes can sleep his way to being an elite offensive finisher at this point. But what will indisputably warn him max dollars us if he becomes a versatile switch defender, rim protector, defensive communicator, and rebounder. A big who is the backbone of a good defense had much more impact than a KAT it less distributive Jokic. If the shows he can defend that’s discussion over imo.

xaos, noppeper and D-rock like this.