1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'll say it again--I never said Wood sucks. He's a good player who should have made the All-Star team last year before he got injured. Outside of a joke during the 15 game losing streak in a couple of threads I've never endorsed the idea of trading Wood for crap. So that entire first part of "not realizing" a 20/10 player is an All-Star player is your own incorrect interpretation of what I've been posting.

As for the small sample sizes (whether it be the first 2 games you mentioned or the last 6 games from this year), it's still a small sample size. There's been plenty of players going on hot runs throughout NBA history that couldn't sustain it for an entire year. Porzingis had monstrous starts when he was in New York only to be cut down by injuries. If Wood manages to put up those Bird-esque numbers you mentioned for more than 75% of this season then yea I'm really impressed and will give credit where credit's due (although I gave him credit for an abbreviated season last year a few times prior but I digress).

By the way, you might want to check that Statmuse URL because I'm not seeing a "Christian Wood' anywhere on that page. Perhaps because this is looking at CAREER averages? I don't know?

dmoneybangbang, xaos and D-rock like this.
  2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

You’re saying max out Tate and build around him??

D-rock likes this.
  3. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Wood is a good player. It's simple if someone offers the Rockets a deal that make sense then the would have to do it. We are rebuilding, Wood is 26 and doesn't really fit our window. He was brought in to play with Beard once we traded him we should've just traded EG, House, Wood, etc...

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how many years is the window long? 5 years? 10 years? 15?

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Tate.

But you just don't build team around 6'4 forward.

Both Wood and Tate should be secondary options on championship team. Maybe even tertiary.

But what Wood is doing since becoming a starter is extremely underrated on CF.

We all need to refresh our knowledge on how bigs produce.

BHannes2BHonest, jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Pull the numbers again but only for last 6 games when Wood was playing his best position, center.

Playing out of position matters.

#646 D-rock, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    vince and palmsnbananas like this.
  7. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

First of all what an insane amount of text kudos

Second I’m not sure why you are asking me what makes him elite as if I ever said that.

Third why are you looking at his numbers from this year when we went through a 16 game stretch as the worst team in nba history bc of a double big lineup with Theis? You should probably look at his last years numbers and/or his numbers since that lineup changed. Instead of extrapolating his career performance based on the worst 20ish game stretch we’ve ever witnessed.

Fourth you keep saying we should trade him if we get a good deal/haul. Um yeah I think that’s an ambiguous statement that everyone agrees with and means nothing. You should probably also trade curry if you find the right deal/haul.

Fifth what you are actually trying to say is that Wood is not very good by using this seasons stats for some reason? You should probably do all those stats using last years numbers to find his true value or keep a log on how he does this year at the center position instead of some dumb two C lineup that almost got our HC fired.

No one said he is untouchable, what does that even mean? He’s a very good player that would be very hard to replace is what I am saying. Look at his production from last year and try to find how many similar players there are and what our chances of getting them is… probably very slim.

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kid is hungry to be great!

Iron sharpens iron.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hope this goes better than it did last year.

D-rock likes this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To trade Wood must see a disproportionate return. The man is not a superstar but he is champ level team starter.

Tate? Champ level team rotation player. Worth a FRP from any contender.

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is one of the more interesting tweets I’ve seen and actually worthy of comment.

i do think the “asset” culture of the Morey era was not a positive thing, despite the generally good results. I do think player development was less of a priority (as well as the draft) and it was one of my only real issues with Morey.

I do think that we should be less focused on “fit” and more focused on player development. I don’t know what the KPJ, Green, or Wood experiment is going to look like at the end of the season (Sengun is the only sure fire franchise prospect we have IMO), but they all have a lot of talent and I think our approach should be to develop these guys and then see who who the real building blocks are. Even at 26, Wood has not even hit his potential or his best years (assuming he can stay healthy). We need to hold off on dealing Wood until we see his body of work this season. He still has the potential to be an all star in this league.

And also….we need size. We don’t need to be trading size away ;)

D-rock, harold bingo and hibbetts like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I've been harping this for so long, it's RIDICULOUS! They went from TIMELINE, now it's WINDOW

D-rock likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think Tate can play a big role in handling the ball . If he learns to shoot , he can play guard.

Neither player is at their ceiling . And you might even be right that wood is closer, but Tate has only been in NBA for a year and his smarts and feel are way beyond woods ...
    Who has been in the league for 5+ .

like you said . Neither is gonna be an alpha on a great team . I’d rather go with Tate . I just love his mindset .

wood is eligible for a larger max , and Tate will be an RFA . I doubt either gets 20+ per year ... but if it does happen it will be wood .

If we keep him till the end of the year , call me back . But how many games will wood even play ?

Wood puts up the stats , but if Tate can just get his shot up (he’s doing 10% better on Ft’s this year) then that’s all he’s missing . Wood has further to go on D and on decision making on offense .

Idk if you’ve noticed , but Tate is the guy Silas has in the walk up the floor and be the safety valve option . He trusts Tate to make the right decision .

14. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Not shopping Wood, interesting!

D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  15. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Nobody can say exactly how long it is. It's as long as your best player(s) is still in his prime, and as long as your team is still good enough to make/win the finals. Some windows are short, like Toronto, they only had one year. On the other end of the spectrum are dynasties that are contenders for 10+ years. But the most common timeframe is "how long is your superstar in his prime", which is usually ages 26-32, or around there. That's generally how it tends to work.

16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

If you trade Woods, not sure who you build around, he is better than anyone you could in the draft. It’s whatever though…

D-rock likes this.
  17. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

If the rockets fail to draft anyone better than 16 PPG on 54% TS% with bad defense, then Stone needs to be fired.

D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  18. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Lol prepare to be disappointed if you are expecting better than Cwoods production :rolleyes:

D-rock likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

If you keep Wood, how are you building around that?

It’s not just about replacing Wood with a similar player but making the overall team better.

Tuckankhamun and harold bingo like this.
  20. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I would be massively disappointed if Paolo, Chet, or Jabari end up worse than C-Wood, top 3 picks are supposed to be all stars, not dudes who put up big numbers for bad teams.

If we end up picking 8th, then I'll find something else to do with my time since its clear Tillboy wants to run on the mediocrity treadmill for them precious two home playoff games.

cmoak1982 likes this.