1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m honestly not sure, just seems like low picks because it’s the Suns and Saric is kinda meh.

DM'sVP likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And I probably would go for picks too. We have so many players that need PT

DM'sVP likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

False. The Cavs play Jarrett Allen and Mobley together a ton. The Lakers start DJ/AD together. You can absolutely play 2 bigs together, so long as the other one doesn't overlap what the other one does and plays the game the exact same way

jiggyfly, aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There's nothing to break, you're just repeating yourself. So I'll repeat myself one last time and be done with it. You cannot just say "they're 6 years apart" without acknowledging which players are younger and which are older. It is not an irrelevant detail, it's not something that can be ignored for the sake of a comparison. If you want a 6+ year age gap between your best players, it is exponentially smarter, and more likely to work, if the older player is the best player. You win during that guys championship window, their physical prime, which is almost always age 26-32. That's when teams win championships, minus a very small amount of outliers. Having younger talented players that are 6 years younger than your best player (20-26) during that time is fine, it's good, it happens all the time. On the other hand, you are suggesting we do it backwards, and when our best players are 26-32, the guy we max is going to be 32-38. That is a lot less likely to work out.

I understand what you're saying, you don't need to repeat it again. I just do not believe you can only compare the age gap (they're 6 years apart) without also understanding WHICH players timeline you are winning during. Timelines are attached to players. The young guys fit Woods championship timeline, but he doesn't fit theirs. A timeline is cannot be detached from the player(s) you are trying to build around, which is what you keep suggesting. Timeline is not independent of which players have the talent. And you keep saying it is.

#384 harold bingo, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    IvanLCPM, DeBeards, sydmill and 3 others like this.
  5. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Wood needs to go to a playoff team/contenders so the chances of high picks is unlikely. But, I’m sure that Stone can make good use of any picks he gets. I mean just look at how he got Sengun.

Saric is purely for salary matching. Maybe the Rockets could make use of him as a back up big but he definitely isn’t a long term option.

cmoak1982, aaquaa and xaos like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It's not that simple as a "Wood hater"

I've been one of the few who supported keeping him and said many times that there's only 5 players who put up the metrics he did last season. Everyone is lookin for that guy ....

The narrative seems to be that he believes he is a max player and that's what it will take for the Rockets to retain him beyond next year.

But we have to come to a conclusion - Is Wood a max player or not.
    If you believe he is a max player then you keep him and pay him.
    If you don't believe he is a max player you trade him and get what you can before he hits FA and you lose him for nothing because you aren't going to give him what he wants (and someone else probably will).

Really what we need here is a poll to get a consensus - Is Wood a max player?.

DeBeards, jiggyfly, aaquaa and 4 others like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he gets 20/10 then yes, he is.

DD

8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I only saw a random snippet of him saying he thinks he can become a max player? I mean maybe this whole thing is overblown

jch1911 likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

without a doubt nope. max players are guys who actually lead teams to wins on a consistent basis. He isn't that guy. You max him out, you instantly become one of the teams that severely overpays for someone who isn't capable of being a true star and impacting the game like an actual max player should.

jiggyfly, aaquaa, alethios and 3 others like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Has Vucevic ever been considered a max player or anyone u should want to give big money to?

How is Wood any better than he has been?

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

The only possible way I'd max him out is if we had a future/current MVP candidate on the team. Since we have nothing close to that, its a huge no.

aaquaa likes this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

I see your point and have always thought the same about the early 90s Sonics. You had young GP and Kemp and a lot of older talent, Sam Perkins, Ricky Pierce, etc. and the dynamics was just off. The more talented centerpieces were not comfortable because the vets were very good and had their own gravitas. You generally want to surround your centerpieces with younger compliments, or low-maintenance vets. I also agree that Shaq was the centerpiece on those Laker teams and Kobe was the complement...

Here's where I think you're wrong. Young centerpiece/Old Vet may not be the championship formula, but what is the evidence that it r****ds the young centerpiece growth? I think it's quite the opposite, actually! GP and Kemp eventually made the Finals against the all-time greatest team, and I say the earlier years when they were competitive but "not quite there" led-up to that. Kobe was a second banana on great teams, but then he became the top dog...

This website just woefully undervalues competitiveness. Christian Wood is our best player. Whatever meaningful competitive minutes and games we're in is because of him, both this year and last year. These minutes only help the young guys. There is just no good positive examples out there where a team purposefully got rid of its best players to be bad on purpose, only to synchronize timelines. It's a lot more important to be good and competitive before becoming great than to worry about timelines.
    bad-->bad-->bad--> championship is not a formula.
    The formula is bad--> decent--> good --> championship.
    Trading Wood would make us worse, which will be bad for the franchise and for the young guys as well...

burlesk and harold bingo like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys need to realize that there is a the MAX, and the SUPER MAX.......lots of good players get the Max now days.

DD

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

My problem with Wood is that he needs to be at 5 on a small lineup in order to be fully unleashed. But he struggles mightily against bigger centers every time on both ends. Players like Nurkic, Ayton, embiid, Jonas, Jokic, Giannis, AD just bullies the crap out of him

aaquaa likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

so with all that said. How does trading wood making you worse when you're already the worst team in the league. And this will be no different for years to come. So yeah timeline does matter as it has continuously been pointed out

jiggyfly and aaquaa like this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's all fine but I wasn't arguing that we shouldn't pay Wood. I don't expect everyone to go back and read all the old posts, so I'll just let you know here, the argument I was having with this specific poster was only that the Lakers comparison doesn't fit, and doesn't make sense. He said that Wood fits the timeline for us to win a championship "perfectly", and the proof of this perfect fit is the early 2000s Kobe/Shaq lakers. That's all I was trying to refute.

17. alethios

alethios Member

Right, Wood has shown he can shrink in situations that don't suit him. In those cases, a max player would rise the occasion and still be a leader. He's still a negative on defense for the most part and has some sturdiness issues.

Little Bit and aaquaa like this.
  18. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Bulls**t.

BS

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, as if nobody here knows that there’s a max and a super max contract…

Wood won’t even be able to qualify for a super max so that’s irrelevant, and no one here was ever even thinking about it because it’s not a possibility

a max for CW will be starting at over 35 mil/yr

somebody please tell me the amount of players making that type of money that aren’t legit stars or young guys with major potential that received rookie extensions…and then go ahead and tell me of those players, how many of them have been just putting up numbers on the worst team in the league and haven’t played 1 meaningful game…

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

OK got it.
    Yeah, the comp doesn’t work unfortunately; Wood is not prime Shaq…