1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I really hope Will Weaver is the Next Head Coach. He is the Smartest Coach on the Staff. He comes up with smart plays.

The Summer League was so fun to watch compared to this terrible offense, terrible rotation by Silas.

Silas is really making enemies with younger Franchise players in Sengun (5 minutes a game) and Green being a number 1 option and never taking the last second shot.

Stephen Silas always with a Angry Look on the Sidelines. Rockets Fans definaye

Joe Rocket likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Need to trade Wood tied to Wall this summer for a disgruntled star. Think KAT or Zion.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We'll see. Worse players have gotten the max.

But, I believe for the years he has been in the league his max will will be around 30-35 million. @BimaThug ?

jch1911 likes this.
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

One of them is currently on our roster ;) To be fair, he was not bad when he got the max

Williamson likes this.
  6. HardenVolumeOne

let the warriors keep wiseman, don’t let them off the hook.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Right on! Bad character = bad basketball

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No need to trade him, try to sign him to an extension and if he doesn't want to do that, trade him next year....

DD

Bo6, palmsnbananas and BallaDoc like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Kinda. He had suffered so many injuries at that point that everybody knew the Wizards were crazy to give him that.

jch1911 likes this.
  10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Wiseman
    Banchero
    Kevin Martin Jr.
    Green
    KPJ
    Better than we currently have.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's ideal, but I think it would require playing him this year. If we just keep him in street clothes, the situation will get nasty and the team will come out looking like the bad guys. Also, it requires Tilman to pay tens of million$ to someone who's not playing. I don't see him doing that much longer.

All in all, this is not a good situation to be in: 1) Keep him and play him at the risk of hurting development of the young core, 2) keep him and don't play him at the risk of lots of drama and a possible hit to our reputation, or 3) trade him and lose at LEAST one FRP and a starter and/or promising young player.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

USA olympic basketball players or bust!

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm OK trading Wood, House, Gordon, Augustin, Theis, (and Wall?) for solid fits and future assets. We've won 3 games. It's not like we're discussing the breakup of the 1961 Celtics. Wood is a good player on a bad team which probably inflates his numbers a bit. The history of the NBA is littered with guys who put up good numbers on bad teams. Good players on bad teams also tend to develop bad habits. Let's not fall into the trap of thinking he is more than he is.

Interestingly, the seven top minutes guys on the really bad 82-83 team were (in order) Allen Leavell, Caldwell Jones, a 37 year-old Elvin Hayes, Joe Bryant, James Bailey, and Terry Teagle. Two years later, Leavell was the only player from that 82-83 team left as Sampson, McCray, Olajuwon, Ehlo, and Peterson had been drafted, Lew Lloyd, Mitchell Wiggins, Phil Ford, Larry Micheaux, and Lionel Hollins signed as free agents, John Lucas came back in a trade, Hank McDowell came in a trade, and Robert Reid came back from his early retirement (religious reasons). We just had our Sampson draft so now let's get serious about the Olajuwon draft.

Rashmon, Bo6 and fattz like this.
  14. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Can’t say I’d trust the front office after the oladipo debacle last year but Wood is a fascinating player to gauge interest in.

I honestly believe he is an elite pick and pop threat, pick and roll threat, and vertical spacer. He can just go and get you a bucket. You paid him with an elite dynamic guard and your offense will likely be unstoppable.

The problems I have though reside in roster construction around a player like that. He doesn’t serve as a hub and isn’t known for his passing or processing chops. He’s been better off the short roll but he’s looking to get his. In addition I haven’t really been impressed with his defense. With his length you’d expect him to be more of a deterrent at the rim but he has this softness to him that just leads to guards going into him and finishing. He doesn’t particularly switch well and recover like Sengun does or rotate well for help or play amazing drop coverage.

When I think of the best teams in the NBA I think of guards scoring and bigs providing the backbone of the D. Maybe that shifts with the rule changes but the top teams this year have still fit that mold in GSW, PHoenix, Miami. Maybe it’s my inherent bias but I just don’t think you can have a big be poor defensively and win. IMO his archetype and comp is more John Collins than AD. Even with collins Atl felt the need to get a defensive quarterback in Capela to optimize the team. Maybe you keep wood and you find the right center pairing like Chet in the future but as it stands I’m not a believer in him playing the solo big on a winning team.

that begs the question are you willing to pay him his max contract if you don’t believe he can be your defensive identity. I personally would not mainly, as I’ve stated, I value defense much more out of my bigs. If you cannot extend him to a less than collins and jaren Jackson contract then you should look to move him. If you can then keep him and try to draft the big for him to pair with (which might be on the roster already with Garuba and sengun).

If he’s worth a max is a question that needs to be answered and then the next question is what is the cap situation like in 2023. There should be a tv deal coming that could spike the cap and it’s be nice to lock in some long term building pieces before that. Also looking at the books for 2023 there’s only like 3 teams with practical cap space worth a max slot in SA, DET, and ORL. Theoretically I can see SA and DET offering a max to Wood but there are some interesting options during that year that could be looked at before wood is talked to.

If it were me I’d talk to wood see what kind of contract he is willing to take and try to extend. If unreasonable and you don’t think you can construct a defense with him in it I’d look to move.

teams that should have interest in him (dynamic playmaking guards with need of elite offensive big men) are Brooklyn, Charlotte, chicago, GSW,LAC, LAL, Memphis, New Orleans, okc, Milwaukee, Portland, Sacramento, Toronto.

Brooklyn, lac, lal, Milwaukee don’t have the assets.

I’d love for gsw to take a look but he doesn’t fit there offensive system of off all movement pass and react. I don’t think they’ll do anything to stop that juggernaut of an offense. There’s also no rush to trade their rookies when they’re already the best in the league.

that leaves IMO chicago, Charlotte, Memphis, NoP, okc, pdx, Sacramento, Toronto.

Chicago: vooch (trade piece to another contender) Williams and multiple picks get it done
    Charlotte: pj Washington filler and picks
    Memphis: adams and picks
    NOP: Val and picks
    Okc: not trading with them
    pdx: nurkic and picks
    Sacramento: Holmes and picks
    Toronto: dragic and picks.

Id seriously consider chicago, nop and Sacramento. One because patwill is a rare roster type to get and can trade vooch later on. Nop and Sacramento are attractive because their organizations are train wrecks and I’d love to take all their future pick pools.

Deuce, jiggyfly and ICanDunkOnYao like this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

BPA is the only strategy.

You never draft for fit.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

And the buyout discussion should be happening sooner, rather than later

17. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

trading him this yr would be smarter..teams would be more inclined to trade for a player with a yr left on his contract

Milos likes this.
  18. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Because like others have said Wood doesn't fit our time line for a rebuild. You are trying to sweeten things up by saying YOUNG 26YR OLD ( in all caps) because that is the primary issue here. And also in the summer of 23 when Wood's contract expires he'll be 28 years old. He also came here to play with Harden initially. He's being a professional and making the most out of a bad situation but I'd still rather him go somewhere that he'll be useful and won't waste his prime years stuck on the mediocrity treadmill.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The guy is 20/10. We aren't even guaranteed a banchero a holmgreen or even smith. Plus drafting them doesn't guarantee they'll fit with sengun. Houston should definitely entertain the offers but unless an offer blows them away there is no way we pull that trigger. I'm watching the OKC game and Sengun clearly doesn't even have the stamina yet to compete in long excessive times. There haven't been any issues coming from Sengun yet about needing to start. Until that happens we do not need to worry about it. Plus green is under contract for 3 to 4 more seasons as a rookie, sengun is too. Kpj is also only going to sign to his first contract. We have breathing room especially if walls contract dies and we don't do anything stupid like take on an even longer contract. We need a better bench. Kj martin is not great, gordon is getting old, augustine is augustine, house still needs to go as well. Those are the spots we need to upgrade.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  20. Milos

Milos Member

I have been using the Vucevic deal as a template

ORL basically got 3 FRPs from CHI:
    - 20 pick Carter Jr
    - 21 pick that became Wagner
    - 23 pick
    - Expiring Otto Porter contract

Except would is much cheaper ($13M vs $25M) and shorter (1.5 vs 3.5 yrs)

A GS deal is an obvious match:
    - Wiseman, Kuminga or even Moody as the centerpiece
    - At least 1 FFRP, ideally no earlier than 2024 (when Dubs likely begin to slide or enter full rebuild post prime Curry Klay Dray)

joshuaao likes this.