1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood bringing the ball up is counter intuitive to our team's strength

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Nov 5, 2021.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

It’s honestly on the coaching staff, they are probably like “surprise them by dribbling the ball up the court and take advantage of any mismatches!” Derp derp!

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wood hurts the team as a 4. Denver would have to adjust if he was playing a 5 but Silas wanted Theis to guard Jokic all night it looks like.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Wood and Wall for Simmons

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Wood had an overall good game offensively against the Spurs, but honestly I'm surprised the coaches are still not doing anything about his tendency to not pass the ball in the backcourt.

We have one of the fastest players in the league that can finish well near the rim.

Here he is, early in the game. Green gets the rebound on the left side, races ahead of everyone else and scores in transition. Simple basketball and takes advantage of our team's strength.

This time, Wood gets the rebound. Green again ready to race ahead on the left side, but Wood ignores him and only passes to him once Wood himself has reached front court. Rockets play to their weakness (half court offense) and don't score this possession.

Shortly after, exact same spot, Green gets the rebound again on the left side, races ahead and scores easily.

In all my years of watching basketball, I have never seen a player ignore simple team basketball as much as Wood does. Passing to the fast guy when you're a slow guy in the open court is something they teach in high school.

#64 flamingdts, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And yet his defenders say he's a unicorn and a future all-star. He has no guard skills, he's just a soft big man. Anybody with more than half a brain cell can see our young athletic guards are one of our big strengths yet Wood slows down our transition game constantly by thinking he's a guard when he's not even close to the level of speed, handling or passing needed to be the guy bringing the ball up court.

6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You'd need to add another player worth about 20m for that trade to work - never going to happen.

7. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

He reminds me a crappy version of when we had Mo Taylor on the team years ago. Puts up numbers but it does not result in winning. Now we see why Det did not push to keep him.

Dobbizzle and steddinotayto like this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It’s crazy to me that people are still bashing Wood after we won a game in which he scored 23 points with 11 boards. Put your agendas away for one day.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Taylor didn't shoot threes, didn't make 2's at a high percent, and didn't rebound. Wood only has one of Taylor's 4 worst vices which is bad defense. Wood does not hinder the Rockets ability to score points the way Taylor did.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Christian Wood just being on the team is counterintuitive to what we’re trying to do

if Wood is still here past the deadline, then Stone has some explaining to do…

aaquaa, Dobbizzle and BigShasta like this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I haven't ran the data but I wouldn't be surprised if the guy Wood guards on a nightly basis performed better vs Christian/Rockets than what he averages during the regular season.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

nice work! Deserves its own thread

oh, wait

#72 heypartner, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    aaquaa and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. jacoby

jacoby Member

This is such a glaringly obvious flaw in our offense that it should literally take one timeout to fix the issue. Instead we've watched him dribble the ball up court at a snail's pace probably 100+ times this season. Either Silas is inept and encourages Wood to play point forward or he's afraid to reprimand him on this habit because he's afraid Christian will throw a fit and refuse to check into the game again.

14. Houston77

Supporting Member

I haven’t run data either, but I know the Rockets are a way worse team when Wood doesn’t play.

15. steddinotayto

He's only missed 3 games this year and the team went 0-3. If you're referring to the 20 game losing streak that he wasn't a part of last year then I would offer up the 15 game losing streak he was very much a part of this year.

The team is worse without him but is that because he's an invaluable, game changing player....or because the guy who replaced him in the starting lineup (e.g. Plan B) is just horrifically bad?

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

He's not "invaluable," but he is very, very good.

17. steddinotayto

He was playing at an all-star level last year prior to his ankle injury but he's been more "good" than "very, very good" this year.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Option C, he's still one of the best players on the team even if he has a flaw (defense) that the Rockets have no remedy.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member