1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood agrees to deal... with Sixers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bezzle, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

[​IMG]

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS.

3. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. It's not about Christian Wood. Hinkie riding Morey for players.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't get those criticizing Sam Hinkie here. I'm pretty sure Daryl Morey orchestrated this *with* Hinkie.

5. micah1j

micah1j Member

Yes, seems like Hinkie did Morey a solid as Wood didn't fit into our plans anymore.

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Is this true? Meaning Wood signing elsewhere gives us the room to sign Montrezl to a standard 2nd round pick contract and resolves the hard cap/MLE issue?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Totally agree with Bima here.

8. NotChandlerParsons

How so? I think we probably used up our allotment of favors when he took Royce White off our hands. They probably like him and have started giving out longer contracts to snag some prospects (they also signed Kendall Marshall to a longer one).

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have had a verbal agreement with Wood since right after the NBA Draft. The Rockets offered a partially guaranteed first year, and Wood accepted. All that needed to be done was sign the contract. UFAs don't re-neg on deals like these. It's very bad business for the player and especially the agent.

However, in this particular situation, the Rockets found themselves at risk of being up against a hard cap (if they sign Harrell to more than the rookie minimum) and needing to slash unnecessary salary. We saw this last week when the Rockets and Chuck Hayes elected not to enter into a previously negotiated partially guaranteed deal.

My guess is that Daryl worked with Wood's agent (and potentially other GMs, including Hinkie) to find Wood an opportunity (probably a more lucrative one) with another NBA team in order for the Rockets to save the amount of the partial guarantee they previously agreed to pay Wood.

1 person likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

2 years later,

the Rockets is going to trade the rights of Llull to the 76ers for Wood.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Eh, who cares. He looked so bad in summer league.

Good for him though.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

When I woke up this morning the Rockets had Wood.

Now, the Rockets and myself are limp.

14. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Makes sense for all parties really.

Rockets need the space for Harrell.
    6ers with more upside that they can take years to develop. That's their plan from the beginning.
    Wood has a better chance of getting NBA minutes in his Rookie Season with a bottom dwelling team like the 6ers, rather than a Title Contender with us (we are also very deep at his position once Harrell is signed.)

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This. He looked terrible in SL. Super skinny yet moved like he weighed 350 lbs. He could be a player someday, but that's likely a while off. No need to waste a roster spot on him now.

I just find it a little funny how Morey and Hinkie operate. I s'pose it's good to have a counterpart who's always willing to listen though.

16. MONON

MONON Member

I was so confused (even more than normal), because I too thought we had agreed to terms with Wood. However, this makes sense. Thanks BimaThug.

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Who cares? Dudes a scrub..... some of you guys have serious backup QB problems.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meh - Sixers now just have a big piece of wood.

19. Chamillionaire

If this does indeed allow us to sign Harrell to a longer deal without hard capping us. I'd be very pleased. I think Harrell is going to be a steal.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Backup QB problems?!

Christian Wood is playing backup QB for the Texans (or now Eagles)? :eek: I heard both teams were looking for replacements for Tom Savage & Tim Tebow, respectively.

In before FTW Rockets FTW "Who is Tim Salvage & Tom Timbuck?" :grin: