1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian School Threatens Student With Suspension/Expulsion for Attending Prom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, May 8, 2009.

1. thadeus

thadeus Member

Plenty of places have plenty of rules that are mostly bull****.

That's when it becomes wise not to make the most important question "Was a rule broken?" and instead make the most important question "Is this rule stupid, and what point does it serve?"

Greater sins have been committed through absolute obedience than through the failure to be obedient.

2. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

That's just r****ded. What a bunch of dumba$$!.....

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The thadeus scores again. I'm surprised that you can take the time away from your photo sessions with the stars!

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Such tolerance....

DD

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

i'll tell you i think it's crazy. and i went to baylor! :)

speaking of which...i knew that if i lived with a girl, even off campus, at baylor, i'd be sent packing. it's what i signed on for. private institutions can have all sorts of rules i think are stupid...and i had no obligation to be involved with that private institution. no one forced me there. i wasn't zoned there. and it's all private money.

the problem here is it's more of an interpretation thing....i'd love to see the covenant he signed to see if it really fits this situation. i think it's likely the administration is over-reaching big time. but if he signed a covenant saying he wants to go to their school and agrees that a condition is he not go to a dance...ANY DANCE (as stupid as that is)...and if his parents signed it as well....then i don't think we should be surprised when the "stupid" people seek to enforce their "stupid" rule. that's not merely a rule....that's an agreement. and the one value i'm sure i'd share with these "stupid" people is that when you say you're going to do something, do it. live to your word. there's a greater lesson there then in upholding a rule for the sake of a rule...or experiencing a high school dance...of course both sides will miss that entirely.

1 person likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You might try actually reading the posts in the thread before making your grand pronouncements, with all due respect.

7. YugoRocketsFan

This is why im glad that I am not opressed by religion, Atheism ftw.

Atheism is what I call freedom.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . interesting . . . .

Rocket River
    . . . when ya got no rules. . . .

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

I went to a military school that was also a baptist school. I then went to a Baptist university. While neither establishment was like Bob Jones University (or whatever fundie school it was that got in trouble because it wouldn't allow mixed-race dating), and neither place allowed dancing on campus, off campus was fine. We had a prom, a military ball, homecoming, etc. in high school and there were all manner of dances held by whatever student organizations wanted to throw one.

In short, not all Baptists are created equal, and Jesus-crazy Abilene where I went to university was pretty....insane.

For the record I am neither Baptist or Christian.

I have mixed feelings here because 1)that rule is stupid but 2) he did, apparently, agree to it.

My senior year at my (military) school, I went with a girl to her prom at a pubic school. I showed up in full army dress blues with a freaking real-deal officers saber because I was an officer. It was awesome. Funny how things have changed that just in 94-95 I could show up to a public school event with a friggin' sword on my hip that no one had to sign off on and/or get permission for.

#49 Lynus302, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

I saw from his myspace page that he went and had a great time.

Here's the pic:

[​IMG]

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Although I think this is silly and stupid, the school does have the right to uphold their rules. If the contracts explicitly states the situation that he is being threatened for, then by all means they have the rights to apply such a rule. Sure, the kid didn't know what the hell he was signing, but the parents did (I'm sure they signed as well) therefore the rules being enforced shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I hate this and it sucks, but like they say rules are rules. If I were him though, I break it and live with it for the rest of my life. Sometimes as people we need to stand up for what we believe in although sometimes the consequences are not pretty.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

conscience was an adaptation, not divinely given.

rules and laws are definitely man made and change over time. either:
    - god changes his mind all the time
    - he doesnt exist
    - or he makes permanent laws and we will punished for breaking them and hes a cruel dictator not worthy of praise, except when your team wins sporting events.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Here's what I don't get:

[rquoter]Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.
    [/rquoter]

If the principal felt it was the wrong thing for the student to go the prom why did he sign the other school's permission. It seems to me that the principal messed up by giving tacit approval to go to the prom and then back tracks.

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

Unless the letter was only asking something like if the kid was an upstanding student and not a troublemaker or something like that. All it says is that it required a signature....not necessarily permission from the other principle.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What are rules but the application of your conscience's demands?
    Could a society exist with only each and everyone relying on his own Conscience?

Rocket River

16. YugoRocketsFan

I dont get what you mean by that.

17. YugoRocketsFan

75% of people in jails are Christian

75% of people in USA are Christian

10% of people in the US are Atheist

0.2% of people in jails are Atheist

Federal Bureau of Prisons (1997)

Wanna talk about following your own conscience?

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Nothing is quite as funny to me as "christians" proclaiming their moral superiority.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What are Morals?
    What are the Morals of a Christian?
    What are the Morals of a Atheist?

Rocket River

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Given your previous poke, I'm interested in your answers.