1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian School Threatens Student With Suspension/Expulsion for Attending Prom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, May 8, 2009.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_on_re_us/us_school_dance_flap

FINDLAY, Ohio – A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.

Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

England said Frost's family should not be surprised by the school's position.

"For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous," he said. "It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to."

The principal at Findlay High School, whose graduates include Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, said he respects, but does not agree with, Heritage Christian School's view of prom.

"I don't see (dancing and rock music) as immoral acts," Craig Kupferberg said.

2. juicystream

juicystream Member

I've heard a story like this before:

[​IMG]

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of how ridiculous the school's position may be, if he signed a document explaining the rules, he has to suffer the consequences.

It would be interesting to see exactly what he signed.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Like the student stated though, why would that apply in life outside of said school?

5. LScolaDominates

The school has everyright to suspend their student for violating a rule he explicitly agreed to.

But...
    So the school principal now presumes to speak for God? Hypocrites... all of them.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Oh please. This is such a cop-out.

7. juicystream

juicystream Member

Everyone knows that God hates fun, even if no laws are being broken, nobody is getting hurt, and everyone is just enjoying themselves with a typical teenage moment.

8. bobrek

You think so? Assume that their rules are cut and dried and says something like:

"While attending school, I will not particpate in dances because we believe... I understand that if I break this rule, I will be suspended from classes..."

If he signs it, shouldn't he be expected to uphold his end of the bargain? Since this is apaprently a private school, he chooses to go there.

9. LScolaDominates

Nobody hurt? Didn't you know that God kills a puppy ever time one of his fundie footsoldiers takes a step out into the real world?

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Or his parents make him....

11. bobrek

Yep, parents make kids do lots of things.

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

1) He's a kid. Do you really think he understand what it is he is signing and why?

2) Do you think he really "chose" to go there?

3) You're changing the focus. It's a enormously stupid rule. That's really independent of whatever pseudo-legalities one tries to wrap around a minor signing a school "contract".

13. bobrek

My first sentence in my first post acknowledged the rule was ridiculous. Who knows, maybe he did choose to go there. When I was 17+, I understood things I signed. I just think that if everything was spelled out in black and white, then he should have complained prior to signing the document rather than now.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Don't they? :confused:

15. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

But he is 17, which I do not think is old enough for a binding contract.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Yeah but when your that age you more than likely wouldn't read over everything and comprehend what it actually means. I agree with you if it is what he signed then he agreed to it regardless I just don't see how the school can butt into the student's personal lives when it has nothing to do with that school at all.

17. LScolaDominates

That doesn't really change the fact that the school has a policy that they have every right to enforce.

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

LOL...dancing is "evil"...I thought even the fundie Baptists let that one go a long time ago...

edit: whoops, the school IS baptist. shocking.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I was just saying.....

20. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Then they can make him not go to the dance.