1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Hackenberg - Your quarterback of the future

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't care who rises or who falls, O'Brien passed on year 1 and year 2. You can't tell me that three years of drafting are not enough to find yourself a franchise QB. He needs to settle on somebody with potential before next season begins. If it's Hackenberg or Lynch or Connor Freaking Cook so be it. Pass on a QB in year 1 shame on me. Pass on a QB in year 3 shame on you.

#61 Spacemoth, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Finally watched the video, and everything that was covered is pretty much dead on to how I feel about him. In fact, I'll take it a step further...

I hope that if Wentz is gone at our pick in the first, we take Hackenberg. I just don't think we can take the chance of going into the second without him and letting someone else get him.

Also, whether it's the remnants of the sanctions, or what, Franklin is half the coach O'Brien is. I don't see him lasting more than five years at PSU. IIRC, we interviewed both for our position. We made the right call, and there is no one that can argue that.

I still think that there is good reason to believe Hackenberg could easily be the best QB in this class, and I almost think there is even more reason to believe that O'Brien is very likely to draft him, given that Wentz and Goff will likely be gone. I'd have to believe that O'Brien would like Hack a lot more than Lynch. Just a hunch, considering how well he ran his offense...

Also, I had said previously Hack may need a year after some article said he may need two or more. I'm not so sure about that. I think he probably needs at least 6-8 games, and a year is probably ideal, but a lot of how quarterbacks end up in their career depends on the situations they're put in. In this situation, with this coach, and this team, it's one of the few scenarios with any quarterback in the draft, where I could see they could start right away.

#62 Two Sandwiches, Jan 28, 2016
  3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I also feel it's likely we take Hack in round 1 when its all said and done bc he will rise in the pre draft process. He is a wildcard like other QBs in this draft. I'd rather have Wentz, Geoff or Lynch but they will all be gone, I want nothing to do with Cook. Unless Prescott or someone else really impresses, it's going to be Hackenberg.

That said, the prognosis isn't all rosy. As someone posted, he could be one of those guys who mentally get it, but crap the bed when the game starts. Hoyer is the cautionary take of a BOB guy who "gets it", but craps the bed.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I bet that ...

you just can't hide it
    you're about to lose control and
    you think you like it
    you're so excited

5. No Worries

Ferragamo started for the Rams in Super Bowl XIV, so I hope you are right.

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

The video was interesting and if its a good assessment, I'm now fearful that Hack might not be there at 22. Several teams may decide that Hack was abused as a Soph/Jr and that they can resurrect him. Given he's got the NFL skillset, arm and apparently brain, he could rise in the pre-draft process and suddenly be in play at 13, 15 or 20.

It would be SO NICE for us to finally get out QB and Hack could be the guy we ride to our first SB. Ok, I'll come off my fantasy trip and hope he tanks the interviews so he's there at 22.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The problem with that video of Hack...it's basically like that video of Mallett where the guy picks plays and comes to the conclusion that Ryan will be a great NFL QB. Accuracy matters...and it's the most important aspect when it comes to QBs. Hack can have all the other items checked off, but if his accuracy isnt there, he will never succeed in the NFL.

It doesnt concern anyone that, of all the QBs in the NFL, only Hoyer had a worse completion percentage in college? You can go back however many years that you want...and how many QBs have had successful NFL careers with a completion percentage in college less than what Hack had?

If Hack has a successful NFL career, he will, by far, be a HUGE outlier based on completion percentage. It will be something that hasnt been seen in NFL history.

2 people like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

no way hack goes 1st round. that video was full of excuses and feels like a fluff piece paid for by hacks agent. literally it was the olines, wr, defenses too complex, so many excuses LOL!!! real nfl scouts are NOT going to excuse and gloss over the serious issues in hacks game. also comp% is the one thing that never improves from college to pros. it usually gets worse. my prediction is 3rd round.

#68 ipaman, Jan 28, 2016
  9. No Worries

<tt>Goff, Wentz, and Lynch don't have tape showing that they read progressions, a skill required to be a NFL QB. Their excuse is that blah blah blah. NFL scouts are not going to buy excuses. These guys will be lucky to be drafted on the second day of the draft.</tt>

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yep, that's the big concern. I may be in the minority, but I think his completion percentage goes up in the NFL. Horrible line play, dropped balls, and a bad system for him dropped his percentage. The big concern for me is that the didn't improve the completion percentage greatly in the second year in Franklin's system. Can he rebound from Franklin? I think he can.

He's no more a gamble than any of the other QBs though.

11. ipaman

I agree, this QB class sucks major balls but **** teams will reach. They always do. So I do think that those 3 will go round 1 because teams will reach. But I think Cook, Hack, Hogan, Prescott, and the rest go day 2 and maybe 3.

12. ipaman

Check the stats, it is very rare to see that happen.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If true (I assume it is), wow..... That's an amazing nugget right there...

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I've moved Hack above Cook on my list. At least Hack has circumstances that open up the possibility that he could be better. Cook seems more like he is what he is.

Still wouldn't take him in the first.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

FWIW, if anybody wants to see Kollman's (same guy who did the Hackenberg video) video on Mallett.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/5...-ryan-mallett-is-the-answer-at-qb-for-houston

16. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Sigh. I feel like Hack is Jake Locker 2.0

He looks the part but is wildly inaccurate. No amount of coaching or pep talk will change that significantly.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, I went through every starter in the NFL and then random back ups as well.

There were, I believe, 3 others QBs that had a completion percentage under 60% during their last year in college…The only one I remember was Matt Ryan off the top of my head…he was at 59% (But he also had a couple years in the books in college at 60+). I don't remember the other 2 QBs from memory, but I think the lowest of the two was at 57%.

That's why I am very hesitant on Hack…bc NFL history just hasn't had a case where someone with Hack's numbers enter the NFL and do well. I also don't think he's the only one with poor OLine play, coaching, etc…

Now, having said that, between Cook and Hack…I'll take Hack because I think there might be more upside there…but both worry me as 1st round picks.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Just asking for clarification. How exactly did they ruin him? Bad schemes?

Stats say Hackenberg was bad as a sophomore, then, 3rd year almost equaled his freshman production.

Last season --- 16 TD - 6 INT - 2500+ yards - 123.9 rating

19. No Worries

Last year, the Penn State team might have been better off starting a traffic cone for Left Tackle, since that there would be a small change of the DE tripping over it.

20. ipaman

Just more excuses. Is Hack responsible for nothing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.